MLBTV East/West Coast bias

OldSmoky2

Lol... just got the MLB.TV offer: "Watch over 150 spring training games LIVE." But when you check out their schedule, there are 22 Angels games, 20 Phillies games, 20 Yankees games, 17 Dodgers games, 16 Red Sox games and just 9 White Sox games. Poor Twins fans (no, I don't say that often) get only 5 games. It turns out it's not just a spring training offer - there wouldn't be much reason for someone who doesn't live on the coasts to buy it at all if that were the case. Rather it's a pitch to get people to buy the MLB.TV regular season packages, which of course doesn't include White Sox games if you live in Chicago. Nah, think I'll pass.

QUOTE (OldSmoky2 @ Feb 24, 2012 -> 10:28 PM)
Lol... just got the MLB.TV offer: "Watch over 150 spring training games LIVE." But when you check out their schedule, there are 22 Angels games, 20 Phillies games, 20 Yankees games, 17 Dodgers games, 16 Red Sox games and just 9 White Sox games. Poor Twins fans (no, I don't say that often) get only 5 games. It turns out it's not just a spring training offer - there wouldn't be much reason for someone who doesn't live on the coasts to buy it at all if that were the case. Rather it's a pitch to get people to buy the MLB.TV regular season packages, which of course doesn't include White Sox games if you live in Chicago. Nah, think I'll pass.

That bias is rampant in ESPN coverage too. There it is usually the Yankees or Boston. But, we get the first ESPN Sunday night game as we face the Rangers.

By the way - I loved Smoky Burgesss

QUOTE (OldSmoky2 @ Feb 24, 2012 -> 04:28 PM)

Then the White Sox should make the playoffs, at elast barely miss the playoffs, sign the best player in baseball, or have both a clean MVP and a Cy Young award winner on their roster.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Feb 24, 2012 -> 06:55 PM)
Then the White Sox should make the playoffs, at elast barely miss the playoffs, sign the best player in baseball, or have both a clean MVP and a Cy Young award winner on their roster.

The Twins have Mauer and Morneau (two former MVP's), they definitely have a right to feel more snubbed than the White Sox, because they're also only 1 1/2 years removed from the playoff series against the Yankees.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Feb 24, 2012 -> 08:41 PM)
The Twins have Mauer and Morneau (two former MVP's), they definitely have a right to feel more snubbed than the White Sox, because they're also only 1 1/2 years removed from the playoff series against the Yankees.

Except for that whole finishing at te bottom of the league problem.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Feb 24, 2012 -> 07:42 PM)
Except for that whole finishing at te bottom of the league problem.

At least they can blame it on the injuries to Mauer, Morneau, Span, etc. (Losing Kubel, Nathan, D. Young and Cuddyer doesn't much help, either.)

The scary thing is that our team was very healthy last year, and, with the notable exceptions of Peavy and Quentin, has had an extraordinary run of good health (vis a vis the rest of MLB) for the last 3 seasons.

The good part is seemingly they can't play much worse, looking at their respective talent floors and ceilings.

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Feb 24, 2012 -> 04:46 PM)
That bias is rampant in ESPN coverage too. There it is usually the Yankees or Boston. But, we get the first ESPN Sunday night game as we face the Rangers.

A girl I grew up with just got a job at ESPN. I was going to post something on her wall about not forgetting about the midwest/west but decided against it since I could see her actually getting fired for it.

QUOTE (Swingandalongonetoleft @ Feb 24, 2012 -> 09:06 PM)
A girl I grew up with just got a job at ESPN. I was going to post something on her wall about not forgetting about the midwest/west but decided against it since I could see her actually getting fired for it.

What kind of world do we live in when you open up your browser and there's a daily stupid Twitter comment being made about Jeremy Lin to give 15 minutes of fame to yet another hack writer/ESPN copywriter/boxer/high-profile high school recruit?

The spring training schedule separately for $20 so I was pretty upset when I found out it was included in the full season package. Anyhow, with our service provider removing ESPN (apparently no one but me watches baseball), MLB.TV is my only baseball option nowadays. A LOT of money though!

Haven't done this yet for this year, but it's a fun exercise I do every year. I take the TBS Sunday afternoon and ESPN Sunday night schedules, cross off every game that has the Yankees, Red Sox, Braves, Cubs, Cardinals, or Dodgers. You usually don't have many games left.

QUOTE (The Only Swede @ Feb 25, 2012 -> 10:41 AM)
The spring training schedule separately for $20 so I was pretty upset when I found out it was included in the full season package. Anyhow, with our service provider removing ESPN (apparently no one but me watches baseball), MLB.TV is my only baseball option nowadays. A LOT of money though!

That's plain crazy that they removed ESPN

QUOTE (The Only Swede @ Feb 26, 2012 -> 12:13 AM)
That, and they lost both NFL and NHL to another channel and those are the two sports most people watch.

Nobody watches the NHL. It's by far the 4th or 5th most popular depending on how you view nascar/

QUOTE (The Baconator @ Feb 26, 2012 -> 08:54 AM)
I feel it's necessary for someone to note that his avatar says he's from Sweden.

Thank you for pointing this out, you'll all get used to me eventually ;)

Sweden has more people following NHL than MLB, NFL, NBA and MLS together... I'm not one of them!