South Region

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Someone give me reason to think NM St could beat IU and how they will do it. And please don't regurgitate the crap that Doug Gottlieb spewed earlier. I look at their schedule and they played nobody. The best teams they lost to are New Mexico (once), Nevada (twice), Southern Miss (twice) and Arizona (once). They beat New Mexico in the 2nd game of the season (and have lost one of their top two players since) and Drake. San Francisco was the next best team on their schedule.

If we play halfway decent I can't see a loss in this game.

Please tell me what I could be missing?

QUOTE (Rex Hudler @ Mar 11, 2012 -> 09:43 PM)
Someone give me reason to think NM St could beat IU and how they will do it. And please don't regurgitate the crap that Doug Gottlieb spewed earlier. I look at their schedule and they played nobody. The best teams they lost to are New Mexico (once), Nevada (twice), Southern Miss (twice) and Arizona (once). They beat New Mexico in the 2nd game of the season (and have lost one of their top two players since) and Drake. San Francisco was the next best team on their schedule.

If we play halfway decent I can't see a loss in this game.

Please tell me what I could be missing?

More of an idictment on IU then it is thinking NMSU is fantastic. But they have size, they're athletic, efficient both offensively and defensively and of course, IU is away from Bloomington. But I'm very very down on IU(sorry guys) so that's the real reason I'm taking the Aggies in this one.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Mar 11, 2012 -> 08:48 PM)
More of an idictment on IU then it is thinking NMSU is fantastic. But they have size, they're athletic, efficient both offensively and defensively and of course, IU is away from Bloomington. But I'm very very down on IU(sorry guys) so that's the real reason I'm taking the Aggies in this one.

I'm biased here. I think losing Verdell Jones will hurt a lot. But I think the whole idea of IU is not very good outside of Assembly Hall is hogwash. Most teams aren't very good on the road. But neutral site games are very different. But IU had 8 out of 9 before they ran into the buzzsaw named Rob Wilson and his career game on Friday. What's your reason for being down on them?

QUOTE (Rex Hudler @ Mar 12, 2012 -> 03:27 AM)
I'm biased here. I think losing Verdell Jones will hurt a lot. But I think the whole idea of IU is not very good outside of Assembly Hall is hogwash. Most teams aren't very good on the road. But neutral site games are very different. But IU had 8 out of 9 before they ran into the buzzsaw named Rob Wilson and his career game on Friday. What's your reason for being down on them?

The perception comes from IU having a rep this year of getting a s*** ton of calls at home.

QUOTE (Rex Hudler @ Mar 11, 2012 -> 10:27 PM)

I'm down on the big 10 compared to most people. I have a whole 1 big ten team getting through to the 2nd weekend. To answer your question more specifically...my judgement on teams is a combination of the eye test and stats. My eyes aren't impressed and the defensive stats that I look at dislike them. Add those together and just not a fan of that team.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Mar 11, 2012 -> 10:21 PM)
I'm down on the big 10 compared to most people. I have a whole 1 big ten team getting through to the 2nd weekend. To answer your question more specifically...my judgement on teams is a combination of the eye test and stats. My eyes aren't impressed and the defensive stats that I look at dislike them. Add those together and just not a fan of that team.

Fair enough

I know I'm biased. I usually have a pretty good feel for IU teams and think I do on this one, but with Jones' injury and the last several years it makes it a little less clear for me. I have a similar feeling with this team that I did with the 2002 team that made the championship game. Granted, I didn't think they would make the title game, nor did I think they would beat Duke in the Sweet Sixteen, but I knew what they were capable of. The NCAA Tournament is so much fun because you don't know how other games will break. In 2002 IU got UNC-Wilmington in the 2nd round instead of USC and after upsetting Duke landed Kent St. who had upset #2 Alabama and #3 seed Pitt. No way IU makes it through USC, Duke and either Bama or Pitt and then Oklahoma all in a row.

I think this team has a chance to get to the 2nd weekend. Beyond that it would take a near perfect game and some luck, just like it did beating Duke in '02. I don't think they will lose in the first game against NM St., but a 2nd round matchup against Wichita St or VCU would be very tough.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Mar 15, 2012 -> 08:48 AM)
Thought this was interesting...

The Las Vegas lines for the ISU v UConn game are all very tight, no more than 2 points either way, with some lines going each way.

And yet, go onto ESPN to see the bracket pick counts, and 82.4% of the picks go to UConn at this point.

Not a big surprise to me. UConn is getting picks because of their name and winning it all last year. Most 8/9 games are going to be close and competitive and Vegas will set the number accordingly. My guess is that the play in Vegas is much closer to 50/50 or the line would be moving.

QUOTE (Rex Hudler @ Mar 15, 2012 -> 10:18 AM)
Not a big surprise to me. UConn is getting picks because of their name and winning it all last year. Most 8/9 games are going to be close and competitive and Vegas will set the number accordingly. My guess is that the play in Vegas is much closer to 50/50 or the line would be moving.

People are already talking about a Kentucky/UConn matchup simply because of last season. WTF? Kentucky is better than any team in last year's tourney and Kemba Walker is in the NBA. Not to mention the fact that UConn needs to beat ISU first.

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Mar 15, 2012 -> 10:30 AM)
If ISU hits their threes, they likely win. If they don't, they likely won't. Pretty simple for that game. It's better for Iowa State if Royce White ends with 10 points and 8 assists than 20 points and 2 assists.

It is strength vs weakness in this game. ISU is one of the most prolific 3-point shooting teams in the country, and UConn is terrible at defending on the perimeter. UConn is big and strong inside, and the Cyclones don't have a true big man to counter with.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Mar 15, 2012 -> 09:34 AM)
People are already talking about a Kentucky/UConn matchup simply because of last season. WTF? Kentucky is better than any team in last year's tourney and Kemba Walker is in the NBA. Not to mention the fact that UConn needs to beat ISU first.

So where should someone pick Kentucky to lose? I CANNOT pick them to win the whole thing.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Mar 15, 2012 -> 10:37 AM)
It is strength vs weakness in this game. ISU is one of the most prolific 3-point shooting teams in the country, and UConn is terrible at defending on the perimeter. UConn is big and strong inside, and the Cyclones don't have a true big man to counter with.

Iowa State has a few true big men, they're just not much good. :P

QUOTE (Rex Hudler @ Mar 15, 2012 -> 10:42 AM)
So where should someone pick Kentucky to lose? I CANNOT pick them to win the whole thing.

Round of 32 against the Cyclones, duh.