Sun-Times: Trades Will Happen Soon if Sox Fail

LVSoxFan

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That would be about as effective as those electronic town hall meetings that Ross Perot proposed back in the day.

Yay, let's cut all government spending.

Ooops, I guess we need to keep the military, we can't cut national parks, I need my Medicare A & B and no way they can take away my Social Security!!!

40% of the people in the US would probably decide to get rid of the Federal government and Washington, D.C., altogether.

The point is...an unscientific "opinion poll" or survey either here or at Chicago Trib or Sun Times.com isn't the best way to run a ballclub, it's a Bill Veeck stunt disguised as giving the fans a voice. The last thing that Reinsdorf wants to do is give Sox fans any power in the decision-making process of this team. It's nothing like a democracy, and never has been.

And please save the, "why don't you put together a group of venture capitalists and come up with $400-500 million" comment, lol.

Imagine if the Broncos had done that, the fans might have voted to keep Tim Tebow and passed up on Manning...because it's usually the most vociferous/passionate fans who vote (numerous times) in those polls, but it's far from the "average" fan's viewpoint, nothing close.

Edited by caulfield12

If the Sox tank early again this year--and I hope they don't--but if they do and attendance plummets down to last year-like numbers I think that will be the only thing to force a change.

You can have all the Elvis nights and stunts you want but it's hard to market a loser, especially if fans know early on there's no chance this season.

QUOTE (LVSoxFan @ Mar 20, 2012 -> 10:47 AM)
If the Sox tank early again this year--and I hope they don't--but if they do and attendance plummets down to last year-like numbers I think that will be the only thing to force a change.

You can have all the Elvis nights and stunts you want but it's hard to market a loser, especially if fans know early on there's no chance this season.

They already made a change. They cut back payroll 25% to account for that erosion of ticket sales.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Mar 19, 2012 -> 07:16 PM)
That would be about as effective as those electronic town hall meetings that Ross Perot proposed back in the day.

Yay, let's cut all government spending.

Ooops, I guess we need to keep the military, we can't cut national parks, I need my Medicare A & B and no way they can take away my Social Security!!!

40% of the people in the US would probably decide to get rid of the Federal government and Washington, D.C., altogether.

The point is...an unscientific "opinion poll" or survey either here or at Chicago Trib or Sun Times.com isn't the best way to run a ballclub, it's a Bill Veeck stunt disguised as giving the fans a voice. The last thing that Reinsdorf wants to do is give Sox fans any power in the decision-making process of this team. It's nothing like a democracy, and never has been.

And please save the, "why don't you put together a group of venture capitalists and come up with $400-500 million" comment, lol.

Imagine if the Broncos had done that, the fans might have voted to keep Tim Tebow and passed up on Manning...because it's usually the most vociferous/passionate fans who vote (numerous times) in those polls, but it's far from the "average" fan's viewpoint, nothing close.

Good Post. I agree, it's no way to run a business to. Most Sox fans are very pleased Ozzie is gone. KW is tolerable right now to clean up some of his mess before the eventual turn over to Hahn. And I don't care how bad the team is this year, Kenny will have at least one more year. Even though we don't have much of a chance this year, we shouldn't trade anyone right now. You never know, it is the baseball way. There will be plenty of time to make trades down the line if we are far out of it. Leave it be for now

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Mar 20, 2012 -> 04:52 PM)
If the Sox are bad again this year it's because of Kenny Williams. He won't deserve more time.

Marty, that doesn't matter, he probably didn't deserve to come back this year. But that doesn't matter because JR wanted him back, and as long as JR wants him in that role than KW will be here.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Mar 20, 2012 -> 05:02 PM)
Marty, that doesn't matter, he probably didn't deserve to come back this year. But that doesn't matter because JR

wanted him back, and as long as JR wants him in that role than KW will be here.

There's no denying this. Jerry Krause was let go so there is a limit to Chairman Reinsdorf's loyalty

I don't get where the idea that Kenny has two or three more years to rebuild this team came from. I don't believe he has if this season is as bad or worse than last year's.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Mar 20, 2012 -> 05:33 PM)
There's no denying this. Jerry Krause was let go so there is a limit to Chairman Reinsdorf's loyalty

I don't get where the idea that Kenny has two or three more years to rebuild this team came from. I don't believe he has if this season is as bad or worse than last year's.

Why would JR give KW this season only when KW told him they would have to rebuild? JR has to know that this is a multi year rebuild with the state that the team is in, and unless this is just a training year for Rick Hahn behind the scenes then KW will be here for at least 2 seasons imo.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Mar 20, 2012 -> 05:37 PM)
Why would JR give KW this season only when KW told him they would have to rebuild? JR has to know that this is a multi year rebuild with the state that the team is in, and unless this is just a training year for Rick Hahn behind the scenes then KW will be here for at least 2 seasons imo.

In my view, Kenny Williams job rests in the performances of Beckham, Danks, Viciedo, Sale, and Reed. If they play the way they have been touted to play by Kenny Williams and others in the organization, I think the Sox will contend. If they don't the Sox have a huge problem because there isn't anyone else to build around and we're looking at a 3-5 year process. Kenny should not be the guy to rebuild this team if that young core doesn't produce this year.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Mar 20, 2012 -> 05:53 PM)
In my view, Kenny Williams job rests in the performances of Beckham, Danks, Viciedo, Sale, and Reed. If they play the way they have been touted to play by Kenny Williams and others in the organization, I think the Sox will contend. If they don't the Sox have a huge problem because there isn't anyone else to build around and we're looking at a 3-5 year process. Kenny should not be the guy to rebuild this team if that young core doesn't produce this year.

I agree, but our opinion doesn't really matter, it's all up to JR.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Mar 20, 2012 -> 04:53 PM)

And Nestor Molina. It's fair to say those 6, isn't it? Perhaps you could extend it to Tyler Flowers, Humber or DeAza, but the point still remains, the "youth core" has to perform well or the whole thing will have to be completely blown up in 2013 or 2014.

Of course, Dunn and Rios will continue to get the lion's share of attention in the media if they bomb again this year.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Mar 20, 2012 -> 06:53 PM)

I mostly agree, but I don't think the bolded guys need to perform THIS year for Williams to stay. 2012 is Viciedo's first shot at starting on the big club, Sale's first shot in the rotation, and Reed's first shot at a major league bullpen. I think all three of them get an extra year to mature before Williams' fate is sealed. That's why I don't think Williams' job hinges on this one season, but I agree that he's running low on extra lives (just the one, in my book). If those guys you mentioned live up to expectations, that's a few green mushrooms for KW though.

Edited by ScottyDo

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/news/artic...ws&c_id=cws

Williams doesn't apologize for swinging for the fences with big-name free agents/acquisitions like Dunn/Rios/Peavy

GLENDALE, Ariz. -- Ozzie Guillen is gone from the White Sox, but certainly not forgotten. And according to White Sox general manager Ken Williams, Guillen's positive contributions made over eight years as manager always should be held close by the organization and the fan base.

Williams talked to MLB.com about a text exchange he had with Guillen during this Spring Training in which he thanked the former manager for helping the White Sox achieve consistent success.

"I don't know if it was last week or the week before that that I sent him a message, a text, just thanking him for the hard work and expressed to him directly you know it saddens me that things worked out the way they did," Williams said. "But I thanked him for the hard work and all that we accomplished together and I wished him luck.

"He wrote back and thanked me for the opportunity to manage the team that he was most fond of. He loves the city and everything. It was a nice exchange."

All sides clearly have moved on since Guillen's departure to Florida, and Williams doesn't see a scenario where that peace will change. He also didn't look as his staying in Chicago and Guillen being let out of the final year of his White Sox contract as his personal victory in a power struggle.

"It was portrayed as some sort of power play, but I never felt that. It simply is untrue," Williams said. "I had no problem working with Ozzie [on] all baseball-related things. Some of the peripheral things, you know, I think probably anybody would have a little bit of an issue here and there.

"You won't hear anything negative come out of my mouth about Ozzie Guillen or anybody that was on the staff. I don't believe that there will be any, at least I hope that people can move on to the point where we can still appreciate all the things that were accomplished here.

chisox.com

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Mar 23, 2012 -> 09:14 AM)
http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/news/artic...ws&c_id=cws

Williams doesn't apologize for swinging for the fences with big-name free agents/acquisitions like Dunn/Rios/Peavy

GLENDALE, Ariz. -- Ozzie Guillen is gone from the White Sox, but certainly not forgotten. And according to White Sox general manager Ken Williams, Guillen's positive contributions made over eight years as manager always should be held close by the organization and the fan base.

Williams talked to MLB.com about a text exchange he had with Guillen during this Spring Training in which he thanked the former manager for helping the White Sox achieve consistent success.

"I don't know if it was last week or the week before that that I sent him a message, a text, just thanking him for the hard work and expressed to him directly you know it saddens me that things worked out the way they did," Williams said. "But I thanked him for the hard work and all that we accomplished together and I wished him luck.

"He wrote back and thanked me for the opportunity to manage the team that he was most fond of. He loves the city and everything. It was a nice exchange."

All sides clearly have moved on since Guillen's departure to Florida, and Williams doesn't see a scenario where that peace will change. He also didn't look as his staying in Chicago and Guillen being let out of the final year of his White Sox contract as his personal victory in a power struggle.

"It was portrayed as some sort of power play, but I never felt that. It simply is untrue," Williams said. "I had no problem working with Ozzie [on] all baseball-related things. Some of the peripheral things, you know, I think probably anybody would have a little bit of an issue here and there.

"You won't hear anything negative come out of my mouth about Ozzie Guillen or anybody that was on the staff. I don't believe that there will be any, at least I hope that people can move on to the point where we can still appreciate all the things that were accomplished here.

chisox.com

Nor should he, they were all good moves that just haven't panned out to no fault of his own.