2012-2013 NCAA Basketball thread

QUOTE (Rex Hudler @ Apr 25, 2013 -> 11:24 PM)
I'm guessing no. Anything is possible, but my guess is he banks it for 2014.

With Indiana where they are now, I wouldn't be shocked if someone decides to go there last minute. There are a decent amount of undecideds around the state.

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From what I'm hearing, there could be another transfer coming, leaving Indiana 2 under. That also leaves the "creaning" haters looking like complete morons.

Indiana will be up and down next year, but should still make the tournament. They have a ton of talent and athleticism, although young. If no one leaves next year (vonleh), they will add in Blackmon and like Dante Exum and Theo Pinson. That will be one stacked team. If that comes together, that team will likely be better than this years Indiana team. Exum is a freak at the point.

@NDatRivals Terrible news. ESPN reports that Notre Dame basketball icon Digger Phelps has been diagnosed with bladder cancer.

Mike & Mike just mentioned it but said they were told by Vitale that it was diagnosed and caught very early and he should be OK.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Apr 26, 2013 -> 08:29 AM)
Haha, you are so sensitive to IU's scholarship situation. I don't think Crean maybe going a year without having to can someone is something to be lauded, especially after still oversigning.

Lol, shame on Crean for having a clue about his scholarship situation. Then he loses two of his most experienced guards to transfer. Leaving only a few left on the team. Especially while Groce gets rid of Webers deadweight so he can continue to recruit, right?

QUOTE (He_Gawn @ Apr 26, 2013 -> 08:26 AM)
Lol, shame on Crean for having a clue about his scholarship situation. Then he loses two of his most experienced guards to transfer. Leaving only a few left on the team. Especially while Groce gets rid of Webers deadweight so he can continue to recruit, right?

Fair point. I think the situation last year smelled bad (Patterson not getting in and some parent ready to pony up to get 14 on scholarship). Whether or not it's true, by letting the situation drag on all year, Crean probably ends up with some bad press. This year, as an outsider, no reason to fault the oversign. Transfers happen. Early draft entries happen. And, honestly, I doubt Crean was too thrilled about Abell leaving (who is the secondary ball handler next year? Robinson?).

Changing gears, I think Chad Ford may have mentioned that Exum is interested in potentially enrolling second semester of next year wherever he goes. As someone who I assume has followed that recruitment, is there any traction behind that? If he chose IU that would have a major impact on IU's prospects for March of next year.

QUOTE (He_Gawn @ Apr 26, 2013 -> 09:26 AM)

LOL. Guys transferring when a new coach comes in, that's never happened in the history of college basketball.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Apr 26, 2013 -> 09:41 AM)
LOL. Guys transferring when a new coach comes in, that's never happened in the history of college basketball.

Only 1 has landed so far as well. I really thought Langford would've been a quick pickup by someone like Alabama, while Ibby would land with a school like Loyola or Depaul fairly easily.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Apr 26, 2013 -> 10:41 AM)

No kidding. I brought it up because of the crap Crean got for doing the same thing, except the guys he kicked were hooked on strippers and coke. And not going to class.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 26, 2013 -> 12:57 PM)
ChiTribSports ‏@ChiTribSports 1h

Jereme Richmond, troubled ex-Mr. Basketball, arrested again http://trib.in/ZA3XgU

What a pathetic loser. All he had to do was not fail in school for 2 years and he would have made millions. Instead he's a criminal with a growing rap sheet.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Apr 26, 2013 -> 01:36 PM)
What a pathetic loser. All he had to do was not fail in school for 2 years and he would have made millions. Instead he's a criminal with a growing rap sheet.

It's disappointing the guy ever wore and Illinois uniform.

Assembly Hall in Champaign is now the State Farm Center.

I like it, good, reputable company sponsoring us that allows us to get our renovation funding closer to being done so we can upgrade our facilities. It was badly needed.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Apr 29, 2013 -> 02:19 PM)
Assembly Hall in Champaign is now the State Farm Center.

I like it, good, reputable company sponsoring us that allows us to get our renovation funding closer to being done so we can upgrade our facilities. It was badly needed.

Closing another chapter on the sports program. Assembly Hall is gone, the Chief is gone. Sad. (although I agree the money was much needed and will help going forward).

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Apr 29, 2013 -> 02:56 PM)
Closing another chapter on the sports program. Assembly Hall is gone, the Chief is gone. Sad. (although I agree the money was much needed and will help going forward).

They didn't knock down Assembly Hall, LOL. Chief is gone, Assembly Hall is being renovated.

Improves revenue, should help get better players in the program, nothing to be upset about here. We're not Cubs fans.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Apr 29, 2013 -> 03:00 PM)
They didn't knock down Assembly Hall, LOL. Chief is gone, Assembly Hall is being renovated.

Improves revenue, should help get better players in the program, nothing to be upset about here. We're not Cubs fans.

Exactly, this is a move in the right direction. This will only help with recruiting, and that means more wins.

Edited by bigruss22

So there are rumors that Darius Paul and Ahmad Starks are going to both be transferring to Illinois. Wow if true.

If Starks gets his hardship waiver and is eligible this year the Illini will look very strong. I got into discussions with people before in here and spacing was always the question. The additions of ekey and possibly Starks will be huge for spacing. They are probably better 3 point shooters than anybody the Illini had last year.

QUOTE (Boogua @ Apr 30, 2013 -> 11:26 PM)
So there are rumors that Darius Paul and Ahmad Starks are going to both be transferring to Illinois. Wow if true.

If Starks gets his hardship waiver and is eligible this year the Illini will look very strong. I got into discussions with people before in here and spacing was always the question. The additions of ekey and possibly Starks will be huge for spacing. They are probably better 3 point shooters than anybody the Illini had last year.

Starks was the best player on that Young team but he got over shadowed by guys like Sam Thompson. Haven't followed him at all at Oregon State.

Saw some of Darius last year. More aggressive then he ever was in high school. That'd be interesting if he went to Champaign.

QUOTE (Boogua @ Apr 30, 2013 -> 11:26 PM)

I'm not really excited about either of these guys. Isn't Starks really short?

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ May 1, 2013 -> 08:49 AM)

Yes, but he gives the Illini another ballhandler with the ability to get steals while being a very good 3 point shooter. As a one year player he's almost a perfect fit for what the Illini are lacking.

It sounds like the Paul rumor may be false, but that one I wouldn't mind either way. He's a somewhat proven big guy that had double doubles against Michigan and NC State last year, but I also wouldn't mind if he didn't come because it's an extra scholarship.

Starks would be a fairly large pickup for the Illini (assuming he gets the hardship waiver). He averaged double digit points the last two years while averaging over 2 3's per game. There would be no reason not to be excited about him considering what this coming Illini team was lacking.

Starks would be decent for next season, a good backup player as long as he doesn't expect starter minutes.

Darius Paul would be a decent fit, and while he proved to be a good player in the MAC I don't know if Groce wants to eat up a scholly on him. It really depends on how Groce feels about guys like Cliff, Leron Black, and the 2nd tier guys like Vic Law.

Personally, I don't see Paul coming here. I think NW would be a good spot for him.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ May 1, 2013 -> 08:49 AM)

He is but he can get into the lane and make defenses collapse. He'd be a nice back up to Abrams.

He'd be a senior, right?