2012-2013 NCAA Basketball thread

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Jan 12, 2013 -> 01:15 PM)
For being a good defender, Oladipo doesn't play very smart defensively.

That's just stupid. He's one of if not THE best defender in the country. No one is perfect and he made mistakes today, but to say is doesn't play smart is terribly inaccurate. But thanks for your valuable insight!

QUOTE (Felix @ Jan 12, 2013 -> 01:46 PM)
Awful first half, but glad the Gophers at least showed up in the second half. Shame they didn't get the same calls Indiana did, but if we had showed up in the first half it wouldn't have been a problem. Still frustrating, but such is life for the road team in Big 10 play.

You've been hanging around the board chatting with Illinios fans too long!

QUOTE (Rex Hudler @ Jan 12, 2013 -> 07:51 PM)
That's just stupid. He's one of if not THE best defender in the country. No one is perfect and he made mistakes today, but to say is doesn't play smart is terribly inaccurate. But thanks for your valuable insight!

3 fouls on a three point jump shooter and leaving Hollins inexplicably down the stretch. Yeah it was incredibly stupid.

Meanwhile, Illinois tells Minny your first half wasn't bad enough.

QUOTE (Rex Hudler @ Jan 12, 2013 -> 01:53 PM)
You've been hanging around the board chatting with Illinios fans too long!

Either that or I know how that 40 is a much, much, much, much, much, much higher number than 15. Indiana should have had an edge in free throws, they were more aggressive. But you can't possibly tell me that they deserved 25 more free throws than an aggressive Gopher team.

It's not why we lost (not showing up offensively or defensively for the first 20 minutes is pretty obviously the reason), and it's par for the course in the Big 10, but you're fooling yourself if you think things were called equally on both sides of the court.

Edited by Felix

QUOTE (Felix @ Jan 12, 2013 -> 07:55 PM)
Either that or I know how that 40 is a much, much, much, much, much, much higher number than 15. Indiana should have had an edge in free throws, they were more aggressive. But you can't possibly tell me that they deserved 25 more free throws than an aggressive Gopher team.

It's not why we lost (not showing up offensively or defensively for the first 20 minutes is pretty obviously the reason), and it's par for the course in the Big 10, but you're fooling yourself if you think things were called equally on both sides of the court.

He's a massive homer. I wouldn't try to be rational with him.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Jan 12, 2013 -> 01:23 PM)
I saw the 2nd half of the "clinic" - wasn't very good.

I'll help you then. The "clinic" was good enough to that it built a lead that Minny couldn't overcome. IU played too defensive/conservatively in the 2nd half trying to protect the lead rather than trying to win the game doing what they did in the first half. That said, Minny turned up the pressure and IU had 6 missed FT's from 90% FT shooters. Give Minny credit for the first and last five minutes of the 2nd half especially. They hit some amazing shots.

From the looks of it, the "clinic" must have left Assembly Hall at halftime so it could make it to Madison, WI. I see it is there now. :D

It is clear that the early season 3 pt shooting for Illinois was a fluke, you had a bunch of guys who have never shot the 3 well making 3s. You have 3 awful seniors getting minutes in Richardson, Griffey and McClaurin and sadly the guys who sub for them are just as bad if not worse. Everyone on the planet just got to witness why Shaw doesn't play. He f***ing sucks and has no idea how to play basketball. Henry is completely worthless and a huge disappointment.

QUOTE (Rex Hudler @ Jan 12, 2013 -> 02:51 PM)

If he wants to be the best one on one defender in the country, he can't let the defender get him up in the air outside the 3 point line.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Jan 12, 2013 -> 01:54 PM)
3 fouls on a three point jump shooter and leaving Hollins inexplicably down the stretch. Yeah it was incredibly stupid.

Meanwhile, Illinois tells Minny your first half wasn't bad enough.

Not arguing with that. You didn't say he made stupid plays. You said he plays stupidly. If you watched any of the rest of the game, or other games, you'd realize I'm right.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Jan 12, 2013 -> 03:02 PM)
The questions be coming for John Groce.

This is the first game this year I felt like the team looked completely unprepared. We have a lot of terrible players though. None of Shaw, Griffey, McClaurin and Henry are even close to being Big 10 players. Richardson sucks and has sucked for 3 years. Weber was a remarkably terrible coach, he completely destroyed Illinois basketball.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Jan 12, 2013 -> 02:02 PM)
The questions be coming for John Groce.

The question should be "Why do you have one post player, 2 million wing players, and no true point guard?" The 2009 class looks pretty bad now. Paul, Richardson, Bertrand, and Griffey. 4 players and not one true ball handler or post player in the bunch. The 2011 class was similar, except that egwu has the potential to be a good post player. The lack of inside presence and ball handling are killing the Illini in big ten play.

Edited by Boogua

QUOTE (Boogua @ Jan 12, 2013 -> 03:08 PM)
The question should be "Why do you have one post player, 2 million wing players, and no true point guard?" The 2009 class looks pretty bad now. Paul, Richardson, Bertrand, and Griffey. 4 players and not one true ball handler or post player in the bunch. The 2011 class was similar, except that egwu has the potential to be a good post player. The lack of inside presence and ball handling are killing the Illini in big ten play.

A million wing players who can't shoot or pass btw.

QUOTE (Felix @ Jan 12, 2013 -> 01:55 PM)

Bull$hit. Looking at the # of foul shots at the end of the game tells nothing about how the game was called. It doesn't reflect how the game was called. Come up with a better argument for your point. How many of those FT's where toward the end when Minny was frantically trying to come back? At least 8-10. How many FT's did IU shoot in the first half when they built their lead? A lot less than the 2nd half.

I thought the game was called well. I don't get wrapped up in a call here or there because that happens in every game. Sure I thought there were calls we could have gotten that could have gone the other way, but I saw several of the opposite variety. Fans see what they want to see. The truth is probably somewhere in the middle, but "calls" in no way affected the game. There were very few cheap calls and the game was very physical. IU also drives and causes more fouls simply because of the way it was played. I assure you if I thought we were benefiting from bad calls in a lopsided manner, I'd sheepishly admit it, be thankful and move on to the next game. But there was no major imbalance there today.

EDIT: IU shot 4 FT's in the first half while they built their lead. So most of the FT's they shot was while they were losing their lead. I'm struggling to see your point. Maybe we should have just asking the refs not to call the fouls, because obviously we played better without them.

Edited by Rex Hudler

QUOTE (Soxfest @ Jan 12, 2013 -> 02:17 PM)
Groce is showing major chinks in the armour with every Big Ten game he coaches!

The roster is horribly flawed. The fact that he even has the Illini ranked at this point is extremely impressive.

Although I do think the defense has been extremely underwhelming and should be better with the athletes that the Illini have.

Edited by Boogua