Collective anger against Beckham/Morel/Dunn/Rios thread

caulfield12

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 18, 2012 -> 09:21 PM)
Can they retroactively take his name off the ballot?

I don't think they've started the printing process quite yet, have they? There has to be some kind of deadline when the names are submitted, maybe the 1st of May or the 15th?

Whose name would they put on the ballot then? Every team has a representative for each position. The other Brent?

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 18, 2012 -> 10:13 PM)
Poor Brent looks to be the only whipping boy after tonight's game.

Beckham had a key RBI, Rios is getting on base, Dunn with 2 walks and the bases clearing double, Peavy looked strong again...

Whereas Brent had one of his two worst games of the season (the other was in Texas where he had 4 K's, an error and then messed up the potential double play that led to the winning RBI from Michael Young).

The thing that bothered me was that after Brent's last K, you could read on his face how dejected he was. That's when the kid needs a day off.

Worth noting on Dunn

@ChuckGarfien: Adam Dunn's first hit off a lefty this year. Didn't get his first last year until June.

Scot Gregor ‏ @scotgregor

Adam Dunn was 0-for-15 vs. LHP this season before 3-run double off Orioles lefty Troy Patton.

Also interesting...

Chuck Garfien ‏ @ChuckGarfien

Adam Dunn (19) and Brent Morel (18) rank 1-2 in the majors in strikeouts.

What White Sox starter has the least strikeouts? Alex Rios (2). He's on a 6-game hitting streak. (should bat 2nd)

QUOTE (iamshack @ Apr 19, 2012 -> 09:35 AM)
Or a month down in Charlotte.

Again, I'll leave this one in Manto and Ventura's hands to decide. If they think that's the right move, I won't be mad. He's simply not the same hitter he was at any point in his career. He's normally a ~75 strikeout/600 PA guy, through the minors and last season. Right now he's on pace for >250.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 19, 2012 -> 08:36 AM)
Worth noting on Dunn

@ChuckGarfien: Adam Dunn's first hit off a lefty this year. Didn't get his first last year until June.

Scot Gregor ‏ @scotgregor

Adam Dunn was 0-for-15 vs. LHP this season before 3-run double off Orioles lefty Troy Patton.

Also interesting...

Chuck Garfien ‏ @ChuckGarfien

Adam Dunn (19) and Brent Morel (18) rank 1-2 in the majors in strikeouts.

What White Sox starter has the least strikeouts? Alex Rios (2). He's on a 6-game hitting streak. (should bat 2nd)

I swore Dunn had a hit off a lefty in one of the first games of the season...

As for Alex, he seems to be really looking at pitches well...he's been doing a great job of laying off of pitches outside of the zone. He's not necessarily hitting ropes all over the field, but he's at least putting it in play. Loved the sac fly last night too...that was great to see out of him.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 19, 2012 -> 08:37 AM)
Again, I'll leave this one in Manto and Ventura's hands to decide. If they think that's the right move, I won't be mad. He's simply not the same hitter he was at any point in his career. He's normally a ~75 strikeout/600 PA guy, through the minors and last season. Right now he's on pace for >250.

Well, he's clearly pressing.

What bothers me about him, and I apologize, because I have posted this several times now, but I think it is the truth and has not really been addressed by anyone other than Fathom, is that he spent the majority of last year just trying to poke the ball the opposite way in order to avoid getting sent down. I imagine he figured that approach would be admired because it is considered "fundamental." Then when the season was lost he came out aggressively and was an entirely different hitter.

Well, he started this season with the exact same conservative approach as last year. Then I think he tried to be more aggressive and struggled with that approach too. Now I think he's caught in between and is doubting himself and just needs a break and a chance to go build his confidence back up somewhere.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Apr 19, 2012 -> 08:38 AM)
I swore Dunn had a hit off a lefty in one of the first games of the season...

As for Alex, he seems to be really looking at pitches well...he's been doing a great job of laying off of pitches outside of the zone. He's not necessarily hitting ropes all over the field, but he's at least putting it in play. Loved the sac fly last night too...that was great to see out of him.

Homer off of Colby Lewis opening day, single off of Mike Adams in the second game, two hits off of Masterson, double off of Collin Balester, double off of Porecello, double off of Valverde, before the hit last night. All RHP.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 19, 2012 -> 07:58 AM)
Homer off of Colby Lewis opening day, single off of Mike Adams in the second game, two hits off of Masterson, double off of Collin Balester, double off of Porecello, double off of Valverde, before the hit last night. All RHP.

Gotcha. Thanks.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseb...0,2480450.story

While most modern slumping hitters head to the video room to study each new failed at-bat, White Sox batting coach Jeff Manto encourages them to stay away.

Instead, he tries positive reinforcement for the Sox's two slumping youngsters, Brent Morel and Gordon Beckham, who were given the day off Thursday.

"We're making sure they have a plan in every at-bat and not to over-analyze every swing, to stay out of the video room because that will drive you nuts," Manto said. "You're just going to reinforce another bad moment (from studying video).

"You go in that video room, you can get paralysis by analysis. We certainly use the video, but when things aren't so right, let it just play itself out. Just play baseball."

Manager Robin Ventura, who famously survived an 0-for-41 slump early in his career, said it finally "got to a point where I didn't care. You don't care about what happens on the other side, just what you're doing at that moment.

"Once I stopped caring about the results and more the process, what's important, why you're at the plate, the better it got."

Morel is hitting .103 (4-for-39) and Beckham is at .152 (5-for-33) for the season, but Manto says he doesn't worry — yet.

"These batting averages will fluctuate so (much) up to 250-300 at-bats," he said. "If they are struggling at that number we might have some concerns."

.265/.368/.571/.940 seems very Dunn-like. This makes me happy. Sure it's only 57 PA (and coming fresh off his finest game of the season) but through 58 PA last season he was sporting a .163/.293/.327/.620 line and he would not see .700 again all season, so it's a start.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Apr 20, 2012 -> 11:35 PM)
.265/.368/.571/.940 seems very Dunn-like. This makes me happy. Sure it's only 57 PA (and coming fresh off his finest game of the season) but through 58 PA last season he was sporting a .163/.293/.327/.620 line and he would not see .700 again all season, so it's a start.

That's better than Prince Fielder right now. :lolhitting

Yep, Dunn is 19th in the AL in OPS.

AJ's 2nd, our old friend Reimold from the O's 3rd, Cespedes 22nd, Konerko 25th and DeAza 29th. Heck, Alex Rios is 40th.

Amazingly enough, Derek Jeter is answering all the critics and more with his production at SS at his advanced age (12th).

OPS Ranks in MLB this morning...

6. Ryan Sweeney

10. AJ

16. Paulie

26. Rios

32. Dunn

36. DeAza

167. Alexei

177. Beckham

185. Morel

188. M. Byrd

Viciedo doesn't have enough AB's to qualify officially, but he's close to Alexei, leading him by a bit, at .570

Seems like just a week or so Alexei and Viciedo were both close to .300 hitters.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 24, 2012 -> 07:57 AM)
OPS Ranks in MLB this morning...

6. Ryan Sweeney

10. AJ

16. Paulie

26. Rios

32. Dunn

36. DeAza

167. Alexei

177. Beckham

185. Morel

188. M. Byrd

Viciedo doesn't have enough AB's to qualify officially, but he's close to Alexei, leading him by a bit, at .570

Seems like just a week or so Alexei and Viciedo were both close to .300 hitters.

Welcome to April