Sox References in Movies

mumbles3k

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

So, inspired by this thread, I re-watched MAJOR LEAGUE. I still think it's quite bad.

The biggest problem with it is that it's not funny. The jokes are so easy and over the top that they border on cartoonish, and can be seen coming from a mile away.

Likewise, all of the characters are extremely broad caricatures which are obviously designed for maximum humorous effect. As a result, they lose any sort relatability.

Surely this is why they included Tom Berenger's character. He was the audience's proxy into this otherwise insane world. The problem is that everyone else's problems and goals are so outlandish that Berenger's arc ends up being basically non-existent. He didn't grow as a player, he wasn't the one to hold the team together, he basically didn't do anything.

Presumably, this is why they chose to add the romantic subplot, which was half-baked at best. He sees his engaged ex, and wants to get back together with her. She says no, because he cheated on her, and she's with a better guy now. We don't see her fiancé being any more of a dick than Berenger. He's more successful, he never does her wrong. But then at the end of the movie, presumably because he's on a winning team, she goes back to Berenger. What the hell is that?

So yes, I still hate MAJOR LEAGUE. Not because it's bad (which it most certainly is), but because it's stupid (there's a difference).

That being said, I did notice that the Indians beat the Sox to force Game 163, so I've added it to the list. Because of the Sox element, I'm also looking forward to watching MAJOR LEAGUE II, hopefully soon.

QUOTE (mumbles3k @ May 13, 2012 -> 10:16 AM)
So, inspired by this thread, I re-watched MAJOR LEAGUE. I still think it's quite bad.

The biggest problem with it is that it's not funny. The jokes are so easy and over the top that they border on cartoonish, and can be seen coming from a mile away.

Likewise, all of the characters are extremely broad caricatures which are obviously designed for maximum humorous effect. As a result, they lose any sort relatability.

Surely this is why they included Tom Berenger's character. He was the audience's proxy into this otherwise insane world. The problem is that everyone else's problems and goals are so outlandish that Berenger's arc ends up being basically non-existent. He didn't grow as a player, he wasn't the one to hold the team together, he basically didn't do anything.

Presumably, this is why they chose to add the romantic subplot, which was half-baked at best. He sees his engaged ex, and wants to get back together with her. She says no, because he cheated on her, and she's with a better guy now. We don't see her fiancé being any more of a dick than Berenger. He's more successful, he never does her wrong. But then at the end of the movie, presumably because he's on a winning team, she goes back to Berenger. What the hell is that?

So yes, I still hate MAJOR LEAGUE. Not because it's bad (which it most certainly is), but because it's stupid (there's a difference).

That being said, I did notice that the Indians beat the Sox to force Game 163, so I've added it to the list. Because of the Sox element, I'm also looking forward to watching MAJOR LEAGUE II, hopefully soon.

you just gave a serious, hard-hitting review of Major League.

it's um... a comedic baseball flick... i'm not sure they're generally known for their realism, depth or writing.

Is a review of Mr. 3000 coming next?

QUOTE (Reddy @ May 13, 2012 -> 11:32 AM)
you just gave a serious, hard-hitting review of Major League.

it's um... a comedic baseball flick... i'm not sure they're generally known for their realism, depth or writing.

Is a review of Mr. 3000 coming next?

Exactly. But it's coming from a person who loves Fever Pitch.

True, comedic baseball flicks are generally not known for their quality. Does that mean we should give them a free pass? Shouldn't they strive to be better?

Hell, THE BIG LEBOWSKI is a comedic bowling flick, and it's one of the best movies ever made.

QUOTE (mumbles3k @ May 13, 2012 -> 11:16 AM)

FWIW, it's mentioned in the sequel that the Indians lost to the White Sox in the playoffs after the first movie.

• 3 years later...
It always excites me when I'm watching a movie and I see a reference to the White Sox. I thought it might be fun to sort of compile a list of which movies feature the Sox and how. There's obvious ones, like EIGHT MEN OUT. But then there's little hidden ones too, like when they fly over Comiskey in SUPERGIRL.

EDIT: I will try to keep this first post updated:

Angels in the Outfield (The Angels play the Sox)

Back to School (Sox Pennant on wall)

The Breakfast Club (Sox helmet on desk, custodian wears Sox jersey)

The Break-Up (Jon Favreau wears a Sox jersey)

A Christmas Story (Father is a Sox fan)

The Cutting Edge (Footage of the Cell used as ice rink)

The Dictator (Man wearing a Sox cap)

The Dilemma (Gene Honda plays himself)

Eight Men Out (1919 Black Sox)

Field of Dreams (Shoeless Joe)

The Fugitive (Sox headline on newspaper)

Hardball (Sox game mentioned on radio)

Jerry Maguire (Frank Thomas poster on wall)

The Ladies Man (Shot at the Cell)

Major League (Indians beat Sox to force tiebreaker)

Major League II (Jack Parkman plays for the Sox)

Moneyball (various Sox stats, Jermaine Dye footage)

Mr. Baseball (Frank Thomas)

My Best Friend's Wedding (Cameron Diaz's dad owns the Sox, shot at the Cell)

North by Northwest (Sox pennant displayed in airport)

Poetic Justice (Tupac Shakur wears a Sox cap)

The Princess Bride (Sox memorabilia in Fred Savage's room)

The Rookie (Royce Clayton)

Running Scared (Gregory Hines wears Sox cap)

61* (Moose Skowron)

Space Jam (Michael Jordan plays on the Barons)

Supergirl (Supergirl flys over Comiskey)

Can anyone else think of some?

I know this thread is from a couple years ago, but another movie not originally listed is the 1983 comedy 'Watch It'. Apparently a short scene is filmed in the outfield seats at new Comiskey Park showing a couple having a discussion while attending a game.

'Watch It' is airing on Friday morning, November 13th, 2015, on 'this' at 5:00 AM Central. 'this' airs in the Chicago area on WGN-TV Channel 9-3 using an antenna, or on cable (Comcast Channel 354, and other systems) but not satellite.

http://chicago.thistv.com/view/movie/2122/Watch%20It

http://chicago.thistv.com

(refer to grid on lower right for channel numbers for various cable systems in the Chicago area)

'this' is also airing 'Eight Men Out' tonight (actually Monday morning, November 9th, 2015) at 1:00 AM Central.

http://chicago.thistv.com/view/movie/587/Eight%20Men%20Out

For viewers located outside of the Chicago area, 'this' is available nationwide in the markets / tv stations shown at this link:

http://www.rabbitears.info/search.php?requ...network=This+TV

By the way, 'Eight Men Out' is also airing later this month on MLB Network's Bleacher Features on the following days:

Saturday, November 14th, 2015, 4:00 PM Central

Sunday, November 15th, 2015, 11:00 AM Central

And 'Mr. Baseball' starring Frank Thomas wearing a Yankees uniform is airing on MLB Network's Bleacher Features on the following days:

Friday, November 13th, 2015, 8:00 PM Central

Sunday, November 15th, 2015, 5:00 PM Central

Monday, November 16th, 2015, 8:00 PM Central

http://m.mlb.com/network/shows/?id=bleacher_features

Edited by InTheDriversSeat

I recall that one baseball movie with Freddie Prinze Jr and the girl that killed herself mentions "The Big Hurt" Frank Thomas at some point...I don't' even remember the name of the movie, though...and I'm too lazy to go to IMDB to find it.

Edited by Y2HH

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Nov 9, 2015 -> 01:10 PM)
I recall that one baseball movie with Freddie Prinze Jr and the girl that killed herself mentions "The Big Hurt" Frank Thomas at some point...I don't' even remember the name of the movie, though...and I'm too lazy to go to IMDB to find it.

Summer Catch?