Wrapping Up April

Marty34

Positives

- Sale and Reed have exceeded expectations.

- Peavy was the ace he was acquired to be.

- Dunn and Rios have been solid contributors.

- Konerko

- In Birmingham, Mitchell might be back on track to being impact player.

- Sox didn't lose division in April

Negatives

- Danks was worst starter after signing $65M deal in offseason

- Best SP, Peavy, most assuredly won't be back in 2013.

- Hitters under the age of 30 put up a composite line of .208/.256/.311. Amazingly struck out 92 times as opposed to having 97 total bases.

- In Birmingham, Nestor Molina has pitched more like a middle-of-the-rotation starter than a top-of-the-rotation one.

- 3-7 home record (through Saturday), soft attendance.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Apr 29, 2012 -> 11:06 AM)
Positives

- Sale and Reed have exceeded expectations.

- Peavy was the ace he was acquired to be.

- Dunn and Rios have been solid contributors.

- Konerko

- In Birmingham, Mitchell might be back on track to being impact player.

- Sox didn't lose division in April

Negatives

- Danks was worst starter after signing $65M deal in offseason

- Best SP, Peavy, most assuredly won't be back in 2013.

- Hitters under the age of 30 put up a composite line of .208/.256/.311. Amazingly struck out 92 times as opposed to having 97 total bases.

- In Birmingham, Nestor Molina has pitched more like a middle-of-the-rotation starter than a top-of-the-rotation one.

- 3-7 home record (through Saturday), soft attendance.

Positive- team has 3 players hitting .250 and is one game out of first place.

As much as anyone can hate Beckham and Morel, and maybe even Viciedo, there is no way they aren't going to improve their current performance.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Apr 29, 2012 -> 11:18 AM)
Positive- team has 3 players hitting .250 and is one game out of first place.

As much as anyone can hate Beckham and Morel, and maybe even Viciedo, there is no way they aren't going to improve their current performance.

Sure, but the opposite can be said for Sale and certainly Peavy, Konerko, and A.J.

Edited by Marty34

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Apr 29, 2012 -> 11:20 AM)
Sure, but the opposite can be said for Sale and certainly Peavy, Konerko, and A.J.

Right, but Konerko still looks like a .300 30 homer guy. AJ will do what he always does. Sale is a question mark, although I think his main question is going to be fatique. Danks will certainly improve. They basically look like a .500 team. It could fall apart and they could be bad, or they could get on a role and have a shot. Unlike last season, there's still reason to pay attention from a baseball standpoint.

QUOTE (fathom @ Apr 29, 2012 -> 11:29 AM)
A little over 20k on a Saturday night vs Boston is shocking to me. That had to be lower than even the most pessimistic projections could have predicted

They have a much smaller season ticket base. I cancelled myself, and its 35 degrees. I think the dynamic pricing, especially in April when people want to take a wait and see approach with the weather, hurts them. Going on ticketmaster the day of the game, unless you just don't care, the prices are insane.

QUOTE (fathom @ Apr 29, 2012 -> 12:29 PM)
A little over 20k on a Saturday night vs Boston is shocking to me. That had to be lower than even the most pessimistic projections could have predicted

I think they had to lose at least 4000 season tickets, if you compare the worst sales from last year to the worst sales so far this year.

Hence the $25 million salary cut.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 29, 2012 -> 06:23 PM)
One bad start...3.56 total ERA, 23:3 K/BB ratio.
I think Molina has potential, and since we didn't draft him then maybe he will pan out. It's time for the Sox to bring guys up from the farm that can actually you know, play in the big leagues.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Apr 29, 2012 -> 09:18 AM)

You're likely correct to say this but I kept hearing the same thing about Dunn for 5 and half months last year.

Josh Phegley is hitting .394 and looking like a legitimate candidate to compete for the starting catcher job next year.

Besides Mitchell, the other key position prospect, Tyler Saladino...has pulled out of his death spiral at BIRM and is going well again. Not to mention the fact that he's our best legit prospect in the minors (along with Carlos Sanchez at W-S) who could replace Beckham and/or Morel.

On the negative side, Rienzo's suspension for 10 starts.

Axelrod pitching very well, too, although there's lot of questions about his stuff and "pitch-ability" in the majors.

QUOTE (SI1020 @ Apr 29, 2012 -> 02:04 PM)
I think Molina has potential, and since we didn't draft him then maybe he will pan out. It's time for the Sox to bring guys up from the farm that can actually you know, play in the big leagues.

There were some people who really liked him, haven't seen his stuff so it's hard to say, but that kind of control is definitely projectable.

If he's still in Birmingham when they come to Tennessee in June I'm going to catch one of his starts and hopefully one of Castro's.

QUOTE (fathom @ Apr 29, 2012 -> 11:29 AM)

Attendance and the state of the farm system are going to become stories that KW will have to answer to if the Sox fall out of contention. Tony La Russa is still available for hire.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 29, 2012 -> 12:20 PM)
I think they had to lose at least 4000 season tickets, if you compare the worst sales from last year to the worst sales so far this year.

Hence the $25 million salary cut.

And it highlights the lack of connection between ticket sales and salaries. Unless each season ticket was about $6,250, which is about $70 per ticket per game, the loss in season ticket revenue is less than the payroll drop.

BTW, I believe it was a great April.