Kevin Youkilis for Matt Thornton?

justBLAZE

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 9, 2012 -> 12:43 PM)
Yesterday the Sox should trade Konerko, now Youkilis is a freebe?

That would be rebuilding on the fly, the exact same thing you rip them for doing now. I'll use one of your lines, the White Sox aren't going to win a WS for the 2 years Youkilis has on his contract, he'd be a waste to pick up.

They're not going to win the WS. What's your point? You get rid of an overpaid set-up guy for a potential elite (at least offensively) 3B that you can let go after this year if you choose to. And more importantly, no more Brent Morel. I've seen enough of him to last a lifetime. He's one of the worst players I've seen in some time.

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ May 9, 2012 -> 12:46 PM)
While only playing 102 games in '10. OPS was down to .833 last year in only 120 games. He's missed half the games his year with a .635 OPS.

I realize that Morel is bad at baseball and I am sick of him too. But Thornton still has trade value and I don't see how dumping him for an aging, injured player who won't be around in 2013 makes any sense right now. It sounds like the type of move everyone wants KW fired for in the first place.

OPS from 2008-2010: .958, .961, .975. He was off last year some but that was mostly BABIP related. Anyway, this is futile. Go to a Red Sox board and propose this trade and see what happens. You'll get banned.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ May 9, 2012 -> 12:48 PM)
They're not going to win the WS. What's your point? You get rid of an overpaid set-up guy for a potential elite (at least offensively) 3B that you can let go after this year if you choose to. And more importantly, no more Brent Morel. I've seen enough of him to last a lifetime. He's one of the worst players I've seen in some time.

So you give up one of your better trading chips for nothing if you can't afford to exercise the option or he sucks.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ May 9, 2012 -> 12:48 PM)

The exact thing you fault the White Sox for doing is exactly what you are endorsing. You are not for a total rebuild. If you were, you would be able to take watching Morel look like Jose Contreras at the plate for more than a month.

I would love to see it happen BTW even though I think Youkilis appears to be heading the wrong direction, but the reality is I don't see how this would make any sense to the White Sox, and it probably doesn't make sense to the Red Sox, although they appear to have a capable replacement and can use all the help they can get in the bullpen.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 9, 2012 -> 12:52 PM)
So you give up one of your better trading chips for nothing if you can't afford to exercise the option or he sucks.

Or if he proves that he's healthy and good, you've got a 3B for next year. And Thornton is really not that good of a trade chip.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 9, 2012 -> 12:52 PM)
The exact thing you fault the White Sox for doing is exactly what you are endorsing. You are not for a total rebuild. If you were, you would be able to take watching Morel look like Jose Contreras at the plate for more than a month.

And you're not really in fear of potential revenue losses and the ballpark housing 50 people. Otherwise, you'd be on board with this. Morel has been god-awful for over 6 of 7 months since last year. Combine that with the track record of the White Sox and homegrown position players, yeah, that's enough.

Edited by Jordan4life

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ May 9, 2012 -> 12:54 PM)
Or if he proves that he's healthy and good, you've got a 3B for next year. And Thornton is really not that good of a trade chip.

A 34 year old 3B making $13 million next year? That's not gonna happen on the South Side.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ May 9, 2012 -> 01:54 PM)

Kevin Youkilis does not belong at 3b. He just doesn't. His defense isn't terrible there yet, but it's below average...and having to play that position is going to rapidly kill his body.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ May 9, 2012 -> 12:57 PM)
And you're not really in fear of potential revenue losses and the ballpark housing 50 people. Otherwise, you'd be on board with this. Morel has been god-awful for over 6 of 7 months since last year. Combine that with the track record of the White Sox and homegrown position players, yeah, that's enough.

So yesterday losing Paul Konerko from the roster doesn't affect attendance, today adding a potential cooked Kevin Youkilis should add to the coffers, and that doesn't even account for the extra money you have to pick up. Make. Up. Your. Mind.

As long as it isn't my money, I'm all for it. Youkilis is almost guaranteed to outperform Morel this year, but it isn't happening. If the Sox trade for Youkilis, everything they have ever said about finances (even though I still believe most ) is false, and not even ss2k5 will be able to say JR is talking straight when he says he isn't turning a big profit every year.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 9, 2012 -> 01:00 PM)
Kevin Youkilis does not belong at 3b. He just doesn't. His defense isn't terrible there yet, but it's below average...and having to play that position is going to rapidly kill his body.

Morels fielding percentage at 3b last year was .953...Youks at 3b was .967...just sayin

QUOTE (2nd_city_saint787 @ May 9, 2012 -> 12:08 PM)
Morels fielding percentage at 3b last year was .953...Youks at 3b was .967...just sayin

Morel should have retired before he ever set foot on a major league field. He may very well be the worst player in baseball. At this point, I'd take Teahen (salary aside) over Morel any day of the week.

It's pathetic the sox can't produce a prospect that can hit over .250. And yes, i'm aware that De Aza is hitting .275, but morel, beckham, and viciedo more than confirm that statement.

QUOTE (Special K @ May 9, 2012 -> 01:13 PM)
Morel should have retired before he ever set foot on a major league field. He may very well be the worst player in baseball. At this point, I'd take Teahen (salary aside) over Morel any day of the week.

It's pathetic the sox can't produce a prospect that can hit over .250. And yes, i'm aware that De Aza is hitting .275, but morel, beckham, and viciedo more than confirm that statement.

Statistically, he is the 8th worse. Guys like Chone Figgins, Justin Smoak, Albert Pujols, and Brendad Boesch among others are worse.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 9, 2012 -> 01:11 PM)
You just quoted fielding percentage to me.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ May 9, 2012 -> 01:11 PM)
The problem with this comment is the use of F% to prove a point.

Last year Morel had a 0.9 UZR. Youk had a -2.3.

I admit that I dont even know what UZR is, I just wanted to see how much worse Youk is defensively and the only way I know to look at that is fielding %..

QUOTE (justBLAZE @ May 9, 2012 -> 06:16 PM)
From the same aritlce I think: That's what Cherington should have said, what Sox players would have expected him to say -- according Youkilis the respect he deserves. But that doesn't mean Youkilis remains in a Sox uniform for the rest of the season. A trade of Youkilis this season is inevitable, and quite possibly sooner than later.

Why the Boston Red Sox should trade Kevin Youkillis.

Sure the Bosox might trade him, but just not to the Chisox I hope. He is in his last year or so probably with a beat up body and having a hard time producing. He is in fact not getting along wih Bobby V but that doesn't mean much IMO. Getting a player in the late stage of their career reminds me so much of the pre-free agency days. The Sox picked up guys like Ken Boyer and Rocky Calavito in 1967 trying to get some offesne to take them to the pennant. It didn't work and those guys were gone the next year but played another year or two. My point is all we are getting is a rental and if we pick up salary it makes even less sense

Edited by elrockinMT

Here's a scenario...the Sox are still close to first, with no one running away with the division just yet. Kenny pulls a trade for Youk...he stays healthy and gets his OBP up, maybe not to 2010, but is trending upward. The Sox start to fall back of Detroit or whomever is on top...who's to say the Sox can't pull a deadline trade? So, he's traded twice in a year...shoot, Edwin Jackson was traded twice in a day. There is some GM out there that will take Youk for a mid-season rental if it wouldn't work out here.

If this trade were to be done soon (if at all, which it probably won't), there's 2+ months to showcase Youk if the Sox can't keep competitive. If they can, but fall short of the playoffs, you don't exercise the option and off he goes.

Edited by CanOfCorn

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ May 9, 2012 -> 01:30 PM)
Please tell me you don't think this trade will take us to the top?

it would be an exceptional trade for us. Youk is an .850-.900 OPS guy and we'd be giving up, what? one of our 400 lefty relievers? you do that every day of the week if it were actually possible.

QUOTE (CanOfCorn @ May 9, 2012 -> 01:52 PM)
Here's a scenario...the Sox are still close to first, with no one running away with the division just yet. Kenny pulls a trade for Youk...he stays healthy and gets his OBP up, maybe not to 2010, but is trending upward. The Sox start to fall back of Detroit or whomever is on top...who's to say the Sox can't pull a deadline trade? So, he's traded twice in a year...shoot, Edwin Jackson was traded twice in a day. There is some GM out there that will take Youk for a mid-season rental if it wouldn't work out here.

If this trade were to be done soon, there's 2+ months to showcase Youk if the Sox can't keep competitive. If they can, but fall short of the playoffs, you don't exercise the option and off he goes.

The only chance that has is if attendance really picks up in the next two months.