It must be said - Hawk Harrelson has to go

Steve9347

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 23, 2012 -> 10:11 AM)
You need someone talking when the team is going bad? Do you need Vin Scully telling you Alexei Ramirez was Batman for Halloween when he was 8 years old? Hawk is a television announcer., not a radio guy.

Everytime the Sox are on network TV, people are complaining about the announcers. There really isn't anyone everyone would be happy with.

I know Vin Scully is revered but personally, I can't stand the constant yapping.

• Replies 905
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 23, 2012 -> 10:11 AM)
You need someone talking when the team is going bad? Do you need Vin Scully telling you Alexei Ramirez was Batman for Halloween when he was 8 years old? Hawk is a television announcer., not a radio guy.

Everytime the Sox are on network TV, people are complaining about the announcers. There really isn't anyone everyone would be happy with.

There's a line there when it comes to dead air on TV. When the other team walks off the Sox, I don't need much from him. The action speaks for itself. When it's innings at a time where he says very little, he's just pouting like he's on the team. He's not on the team!

What I hate about him the most now is that he thinks it's The Hawk Show. He's going to ride out The Hawk Show until he's 80 or he kicks the bucket, so he can get in the broadcaster's wing of the Hall. That's his whole M.O. now.

QUOTE (flavum @ May 23, 2012 -> 10:27 AM)
There's a line there when it comes to dead air on TV. When the other team walks off the Sox, I don't need much from him. The action speaks for itself. When it's innings at a time where he says very little, he's just pouting like he's on the team. He's not on the team!

What I hate about him the most now is that he thinks it's The Hawk Show. He's going to ride out The Hawk Show until he's 80 or he kicks the bucket, so he can get in the broadcaster's wing of the Hall. That's his whole M.O. now.

his whole "m.o" is to call games for the team he loves. yeah he'd like to get into the hall of fame, i'm sure. but listening to that guy, you know his heart is 110% into his work.

how many of you can say the same thing? you'd rather them hire someone that doesn't give 2 s***s about the sox?

QUOTE (flavum @ May 23, 2012 -> 10:27 AM)

Please. I have read Soxtalk when this team is losing. Silence would be an improvement over much of the garbage that gets said.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ May 23, 2012 -> 08:16 AM)
I wasn't trying to be trendy. You sure seem to think you know everything. Thinking Ken Harrelson is bad is not trendy, it's correct. We have one of the best color men in the business being cut off from speaking and never asked for his input on anything because know it all, been there done that, revisionist history Hawk is there to tell y'all how it was back in the day.

"I tell ya hawhat Stone Pony. I ain't seen no one field the ball at short like Alexei does since Rico Petrocelli. That boy, hooo, he could go get it."

That's certainly engaging.

So tell us what should be engaging to us, Steve...so far your only suggestion has been Laurence Holmes.

If that is your idea of an improvement, you are just wrong on this one.

Steve Stone gives his input all the time...I've been listening to Steve Stone since 1984 when he was working with Harry Carey. He got bullied by him too. I guess Stone is just the whipping boy for geriatric fools. Do you find this coincidence at all odd, Steve? That Stone has been most loved when he was the second fiddle to an outrageous larger than life character doing pbp?

QUOTE (Reddy @ May 23, 2012 -> 10:32 AM)
his whole "m.o" is to call games for the team he loves. yeah he'd like to get into the hall of fame, i'm sure. but listening to that guy, you know his heart is 110% into his work.

how many of you can say the same thing? you'd rather them hire someone that doesn't give 2 s***s about the sox?

To tell you the truth, I wouldn't care if the home announcer didn't live and die with each game. If he's bringing me the game professionally with interesting content, I don't care if his blood isn't boiling when things go wrong. Chance are, when they're calling 150 games a year, they're going to lean toward the team paying the salary. It's when they go over the line, and think they're part of the team on the field that I have a problem with.

To give you an example of somebody that straddled the line, but didn't cross it...John Rooney. He was never a "Sox fan", but he did a great job for the Sox and most people really liked how he called the game.

QUOTE (flavum @ May 23, 2012 -> 10:42 AM)
Apples and oranges.

Not really. Having done this before, the worst possible moment to be a broadcaster is when your team is getting its teeth kicked in. I promise you there was no one who could have made last night sound good.

QUOTE (flavum @ May 23, 2012 -> 10:41 AM)
To tell you the truth, I wouldn't care if the home announcer didn't live and die with each game. If he's bringing me the game professionally with interesting content, I don't care if his blood isn't boiling when things go wrong. Chance are, when they're calling 150 games a year, they're going to lean toward the team paying the salary. It's when they go over the line, and think they're part of the team on the field that I have a problem with.

To give you an example of somebody that straddled the line, but didn't cross it...John Rooney. He was never a "Sox fan", but he did a great job for the Sox and most people really liked how he called the game.

Radio is also much different than television. One might even say "apples and oranges".

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 23, 2012 -> 10:45 AM)

Radio is also much different than television. One might even say "apples and oranges".

I'm talking about broadcasting the game professionally, without all the whining and constantly talking about a mediocre career from 40-50 years ago.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ May 23, 2012 -> 08:24 AM)
It's so painfully black & white with you. Fans who think women don't belong on their sports networks are completely close-minded and ignorant. There are plenty of older people whom I'm happy to listen to - just because Hawk is old that doesn't mean he's right - he's making up stories and saying the same thing over and over.

I, nor anyone else on this planet, have anything left to "learn" from Hawk. Nothing. There's nothing left for him to say.

I have nothing against listening to experienced people tell me about the game. I certainly don't complain about every older person in the world. Steve Stone is 65 and I have stated multiple times in this thread that he's brilliant.

Stop painting the picture you want to see and open your f***ing eyes and learn how to comprehend words on a computer screen. No one attacked you here - if you like Hawk, good for you. I just think you're crazy and we're missing out on what could be an improved telecast.

Very few things are black and white to me, Steve. That's pretty much what I am trying to get across to you. Very rarely will you see me take a position like you seem to take on an almost daily basis. You're the one that often starts threads like these...that something sucks, or something is just such a way, or someone needs to "just stop" (my personal favorite of yours). YOU are the one that sees everything as black and white.

And this "reading comprehension" schtick that you like to use when someone disagrees with you gets very old. I am very good at reading comprehension. I always did well on that part of standardized tests. You, on the other hand, post things like this:

It's so painfully black & white with you. Fans who think women don't belong on their sports networks are completely close-minded and ignorant.

Do you notice how you accused me of something and then immediately followed it up with the same very thing you accused me of? That seems to be a failure of comprehension on your part if I have ever seen one. Or at least a very odd way to make your point...no wonder people apparently have trouble comprehending your self-contradictory posts.

I'm not painting any pictures either. All I am asking you is to *look* at the entire picture, instead of thinking you know everything.

And you did attack me and others here, it's right there in the thread. You made a clear implication and you're now playing dumb because you're too much of a coward to admit it.

QUOTE (flavum @ May 23, 2012 -> 10:48 AM)
I'm talking about broadcasting the game professionally, without all the whining and constantly talking about a mediocre career from 40-50 years ago.

All announcers fall back on the past at some point.

This thread reminds me of the old saying, behind every hot woman is a man who is sick of her.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ May 23, 2012 -> 10:46 AM)
It's odd that a thread based 100% on opinions is filled with people telling others that their opinion is wrong. Welcome to Soxtalk I guess.

You know what they say about opinions.

QUOTE (Reddy @ May 23, 2012 -> 10:32 AM)

I don't care how many s***s he gives about the Sox? I want an intelligent play-by-play guy that offers great baseball insight, not an idiot crying about every play & repeatedly talking about how Yaz is the best person to ever step foot on this planet.

QUOTE (iamshack @ May 23, 2012 -> 10:41 AM)
So tell us what should be engaging to us, Steve...so far your only suggestion has been Laurence Holmes.

If that is your idea of an improvement, you are just wrong on this one.

Steve Stone gives his input all the time...I've been listening to Steve Stone since 1984 when he was working with Harry Carey. He got bullied by him too. I guess Stone is just the whipping boy for geriatric fools. Do you find this coincidence at all odd, Steve? That Stone has been most loved when he was the second fiddle to an outrageous larger than life character doing pbp?

Think what you want. Every year thousands of professional broadcasters are honing their skills in the hopes that a position opens up. Hawk is a defined color man doing a play by play man's job.

The peak of MLB play by play is Matt Vasgersian, and I am sure there are more out there like him. Sound good, tell me what's going on, and then let the color guy jazz things up. A three man booth would be fantastic as well. There are so many options, but we're stuck with someone who is definitively the worst at his profession. 100% of non-Sox fans agree, and it seems like about 50% of Sox fans agree that Hawk is a hack.

No matter who has been with Hawk, he has had little interest in engaging that person and had no problem talking over them. He's a dinosaur, and I'm tired of it.

I don't get why you take such offense. You may have your opinion. My disliking Hawk does not mean I have a problem with old people. Seriously, move along, at this point you are going back and forth. My job is not to hire the next great pbp guy out there, but I guarantee, said person exists and would kill for the position.

Edited by Steve9347

QUOTE (flavum @ May 23, 2012 -> 10:41 AM)

John Rooney was a homer and once went on a rant about how Gary Redus was better leadoff hitter than Rickey Henderson. I will never forget that one. Gary was playing for the White Sox when he said it. Rickey was in his prime.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ May 23, 2012 -> 10:54 AM)
I don't care how many s***s he gives about the Sox? I want an intelligent play-by-play guy that offers great baseball insight, not an idiot crying about every play & repeatedly talking about how Yaz is the best person to ever step foot on this planet.

well that's silly.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ May 23, 2012 -> 10:55 AM)
Think what you want. Every year thousands of professional broadcasters are honing their skills in the hopes that a position opens up. Hire Slavko Bekovic for all I care, but there are many, many qualified professionals trained to engage the viewer and do the play by play. Hawk is a defined color man doing a play by play man's job.

The peak of MLB play by play is Matt Vasgersian, and I am sure there are more out there like him. Sound good, tell me what's going on, and then let the color guy jazz things up. A three man booth would be fantastic as well. There are so many options, but we're stuck with someone who is definitively the worst at his profession. 100% of non-Sox fans agree, and it seems like about 50% of Sox fans agree that Hawk is a hack.

No matter who has been with Hawk, he has had little interest in engaging that person and had no problem talking over them. He's a dinosaur, and I'm tired of it.

I don't get why you take such offense. You may have your opinion. My disliking Hawk does not mean I have a problem with old people. Seriously, move along, at this point you are going back and forth. My job is not to hire the next great pbp guy out there, but I guarantee, said person exists and would kill for the position.

Let's just say I think a lot of people your age will learn some things in your next 10-20 years.

QUOTE (Reddy @ May 23, 2012 -> 10:58 AM)
well that's silly.

I don't need an announcer to cheer with me for the White Sox. I can do that myself. I just want to know what is going on in the game and why. Also, maybe I can learn a thing or two. Hawk does little of that.

QUOTE (iamshack @ May 23, 2012 -> 10:49 AM)
And you did attack me and others here, it's right there in the thread. You made a clear implication and you're now playing dumb because you're too much of a coward to admit it.

You've got me! I'm a coward!

I have clearly stated numerous times that the pig-headed comments about women in sports were ridiculous. I have also stated multiple times that folks that love Hawk can have their opinion. I opened talking about how much I used to love Hawk. The very first post.

I don't know what more you want. You are offended by something. You are in attack mode. I will let you do your thing from here moving forward - go get 'em, Tiger.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ May 23, 2012 -> 10:04 AM)
You've got me! I'm a coward!

I have clearly stated numerous times that the pig-headed comments about women in sports were ridiculous. I have also stated multiple times that folks that love Hawk can have their opinion. I opened talking about how much I used to love Hawk. The very first post.

I don't know what more you want. You are offended by something. You are in attack mode. I will let you do your thing from here moving forward - go get 'em, Tiger.

And yet you keep running away from the most critical part of the implication, Steve....which seems to be those who like Hawk are also pig-headed, or "meatball fans."

That is the part of the implication I found insulting. It was your entire point in making the post.

So no, you're not just stating your opinion in regards to what you think of our pbp man...you're basically implying that anyone who likes Hawk is a meatball fan, and that that doesn't surprise you.

Edited by iamshack