The Jose Quintana Appreciation Thread

Steve9347

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jun 24, 2012 -> 10:28 PM)
I feel like that's the only nickname that has stuck.

High fives Kyle and Shack!

I defer to shack on this one. I just piggybacked because I thought it was classy. And nothing says classy like incest and penis blood

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jun 24, 2012 -> 09:28 PM)
I feel like that's the only nickname that has stuck.

High fives Kyle and Shack!

Nah, this one is all you, Q...you're the one that came up with Quetzacoatl, no? I think we just ran with the legend...

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jun 24, 2012 -> 10:35 PM)
Nah, this one is all you, Q...you're the one that came up with Quetzacoatl, no? I think we just ran with the legend...

Kyle came up with the scouting report that inspired it, I came up with Quetzalcoatl and you drove it home.

QUOTE (BFirebird @ May 25, 2012 -> 12:09 AM)
Going to the game tonight. Intrigued by watching Quintana pitch. Anyone have a scouting report on him?

QUOTE (kyyle23 @ May 25, 2012 -> 12:46 AM)
From what I have read he is of dragon and mayan god descent. His fastball has been known to literally start on fire and destroy bats, and his curveball will occasionally turn into green mist that will render a batter unconscious. KW put him on the roster out of pure fear.

Hope this helps

LOL, my scouting report

From the New York Post yesterday

Chisox take shot on hurler after Subway squads swing and miss

Yankees BlogBy JOEL SHERMAN

Jose Quintana is the one that got away — from the Subway Series.

Who is Quintana? He played in both the Mets and Yankee systems before being plucked last offseason by the White Sox as a six-year minor league free agent. The lefty makes his eighth appearance and sixth start today against the Brewers, carrying a 2-1 record with a 1.53 ERA.

So why isn’t he doing this kind of work for either New York team?

Signed by the Mets out of Colombia in 2006, Quintana was suspended in March 2007 for testing positive for a banned substance while in the Venezuelan Summer League. The Mets released him when the suspension concluded in July 2007. Omar Minaya, then the Mets’ general manager, remembered the organization had “a strict policy about [failing a test in the minors] and we let him go.”

Quintana signed with the Yankees the following March. He reached High-A last year and went 10-2 with a 2.91 ERA. Yet the Yankees did not put Quintana on the 40-man roster, making him a free agent. GM Brian Cashman said they deliberated on the matter and, despite a dearth of quality lefties in the system, “We looked at him as a fringy prospect. We offered him a minor league contract to stay, but not a 40-man roster position. We didn’t feel he was ahead of other guys we gave spots to. It was a numbers game, but right now it does not look like a good decision.”

Quintana’s agent, Melvin Roman, wanted a 40-man roster spot for his client. And the White Sox were willing to accede to that because two of their scouts, Joe Siers and Daraka Shaheed, “made him stand out on the six-year free-agent list,” Chicago assistant GM Rick Hahn said. They saw a 23-year-old lefty with a clean, repeatable delivery, the ability to command fastballs to both sides of the plate, hints of a plus changeup and the makings of a usable slider.

Quintana went to Double-A, but was sped to the majors due to rotation injuries. A scout for an NL team who saw two of his major league starts reported a good fastball that Quintana cuts and sinks, but worried there was no clear swing-and-miss pitch, and also that the southpaw had a bad pickoff move and was slow to the plate, making him susceptible to stolen bases

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 25, 2012 -> 10:39 PM)
What's the story on his failed drug test again? Also, it's amazing how well he's throwing his slider. That was filthy yesterday.

It was one of those nutritional supplement/GNC type things that probably all the Latin kids were taking together.

Not one of the hardcore anabolic steroids, supposedly. It was covered in a Trib or Sun-Times article in the last couple of days.

LOL at Cashman getting clowned again, by the Sox. Love his understated response.

Although he did win the Swisher one by FAR, we still punk'd him for Contreras and now Quintana. El Duque was a useful, if expensive, spare part in 2005. That inning against the BoSox might have been worth $5.5 or $6.5 million alone to JR, whatever we were paying him at that time.

Minaya comes off like a bit of a tool, like they don't even take the time to look at their players on a case-by-case basis and differentiate, so that's his excuse for not being more diligent.

Just an FYI since I work in the dietary supplement industry....until about 2009/2010, GNC and most other supplement sellers were selling oral anabolic steroids. Most don't work quite as well due to some oral bioavailability/cost reasons, but they were still steroids and in fact much more dangerous than the injectables. If Quintana bought something like that, he's probably lucky he didn't permanently harm his reproductive/endocrine health and very well may have not gotten much out of it without an (illegal) pharmaceutical post cycle therapy.

If you're wondering how this phenomenon stopped, the FDA raided the largest supplement retailer (bodybuilding.com) and just now concluded that legal process, commanding an $8M settlement from the retailer and getting millions from the companies selling the products as well. It was hazy legally whether it was okay, but the FDA cleared that up by destroying a lot of mainstream brands that day lol. Despite my feeling that folks should have access to that stuff, the way it worked was inherently unsafe and it needed regulation for it to ever have a chance to stay on the market.