Gamethread: Sox vs Yanks 7/1/12

• Replies 384
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 1, 2012 -> 04:10 PM)
You are smarter than this. Are you going to argue that the professional Cuban league is the same as high school ball in the US?

Dayan Viciedo was able to have success in the Cuban leagues at age what, 16?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 1, 2012 -> 03:10 PM)
Do you really think that very many people come into the bigs and actually know that? Hell, just thinking about guys in this game, Robinson Cano didn't know that, Curtis Granderson didn't know that (dude struck out 174 times in his first full year).

Yes.

QUOTE (RZZZA @ Jul 1, 2012 -> 04:11 PM)
It's way too early to say that Viciedo has not shown a 'capacity to improve'. We'll see how he plays next year.

No, you're not allowed to. What 23 year olds do in their first 3 months as full time players define their entire careers.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 1, 2012 -> 02:11 PM)
Dayan Viciedo was able to have success in the Cuban leagues at age what, 16?

Because he's incredibly gifted physically. Doesn't guarantee he's going to make the adjustments he needs to be a great MLB player, which is what Marty and I have been arguing.

He is showing very little ability to adjust his approach, regardless of MLB experience. This is the biggest indicator there is when evaluating very good young hitters.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 1, 2012 -> 03:12 PM)
No, you're not allowed to. What 23 year olds do in their first 3 months as full time players define their entire careers.

At what point can we stop citing his age as a positive?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 1, 2012 -> 02:12 PM)

Except he did this two years ago as a 21 year old as well.

He is the EXACT same hitter he was then.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 1, 2012 -> 04:14 PM)
Because he's incredibly gifted physically. Doesn't guarantee he's going to make the adjustments he needs to be a great MLB player, which is what Marty and I have been arguing.

He is showing very little ability to adjust his approach, regardless of MLB experience. This is the biggest indicator there is when evaluating very good young hitters.

Actually, the ball that got him out the first time he came up, the up and in fastball killed him. That shows up in the fangraphs version where he was a negative value player against the fastball despite being only a part time player. He's also gotten quite a bit better against the cutter.

His weakness has actually been against the 2 seamer...the pitch with sink on it. Which probably means that he's pushing people off of the fastball and onto different ways of getting him out....which is why everyone's working on the "Get him out low and away" like we're seeing the Yankees doing right now, because he's getting to the balls he used to get beat on inside.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 1, 2012 -> 02:14 PM)

I have seen him make adjustments?? What you're seeing today is the result of an adjustment. He's trying to catch on to the inside fastball and it's hurting his ability to hit the outside fastball. He's also getting more patient, far more selective than he was just a couple months ago. I think expectations are too high for how quickly he should adjust. He's been very productive, just learn to love it.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 1, 2012 -> 02:18 PM)
Actually, the ball that got him out the first time he came up, the up and in fastball killed him. That shows up in the fangraphs version where he was a negative value player against the fastball despite being only a part time player. He's also gotten quite a bit better against the cutter.

His weakness has actually been against the 2 seamer...the pitch with sink on it. Which probably means that he's pushing people off of the fastball and onto different ways of getting him out....which is why everyone's working on the "Get him out low and away" like we're seeing the Yankees doing right now, because he's getting to the balls he used to get beat on inside.

He's not getting to pitches on the outer half either.

Face it, he swings as hard as he f***ing can. God knows if he picks up the spin on any of these pitches.

QUOTE (RZZZA @ Jul 1, 2012 -> 02:19 PM)
Really? To me it seems like Viciedo is vulnerable to high fastballs and anything thats away.

One of few pitches he hit early this year and previously was the outside fastball because he tried to take it to the opposite field. I have been b****ing about his inability to hit inside fastballs for a while now but it seems he's going up there ready to cover that.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 1, 2012 -> 04:20 PM)

Face it, he swings as hard as he f***ing can. God knows if he picks up the spin on any of these pitches.

Which is...exactly what I just said. He's now getting around on the inside pitch better so now people are working on him a different way...pushing him low and away to get ahead of him.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 1, 2012 -> 02:20 PM)

Funny thing to say about a guy who hits the majority of his homers on offspeed pitches

QUOTE (Jake @ Jul 1, 2012 -> 02:20 PM)
I have seen him make adjustments?? What you're seeing today is the result of an adjustment. He's trying to catch on to the inside fastball and it's hurting his ability to hit the outside fastball. He's also getting more patient, far more selective than he was just a couple months ago. I think expectations are too high for how quickly he should adjust. He's been very productive, just learn to love it.

Yes, his 11 walks are a real indicator of how selective he has become.

Keep in mind no one is saying we should guillotine him. We're saying trade him.