Aj A clubhouse cancer?

southsider2k5

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (greasywheels121 @ Jul 7, 2012 -> 10:27 AM)
The catcher position was such a hole for the Sox in the lineup and on the field for so many years before AJ came over. Very appreciative for what he's done in a Sox uni. I'd definitely be supportive of re-signing him for another couple of years, until we have a more solid replacement option to take over.

I think to position of catcher is a great demise in MLB. At one time you could name 6 great catchers. It's not a desirable position.

How about favorite AJ memories?

1. Drop third strike (for sure)

2. Walk off homer against LAD in the 1959 jerseys.

3. Brawl with Barrett

4. Punch AJ campaign

5. Catching MB and Phil Humbers perfectos

6. Running over the back of a player while rounding 3rd base.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 7, 2012 -> 11:57 AM)
You guys are delusional for where the free agent market is going.

You don't think AJ will get a 2 year/$12-$14 million offer from someone? I can easily see that happening. Hopefully the Sox can sign him for a reasonable amount on a 1 or 2 year deal with an option.

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ Jul 9, 2012 -> 08:38 AM)
You don't think AJ will get a 2 year/$12-$14 million offer from someone? I can easily see that happening. Hopefully the Sox can sign him for a reasonable amount on a 1 or 2 year deal with an option.

I think the deal will be 8 figures per year, at least.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 9, 2012 -> 08:48 AM)
I think the deal will be 8 figures per year, at least.

Really? Maybe a one year deal I could see. But a multi-year deal at $10 million+ each? I would hope the Sox stay away from something like that. He's awesome, and he's having a career year, but he's getting up there in age. I wonder if he could repeat what he's done in 2012 so far?

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ Jul 9, 2012 -> 08:52 AM)
Really? Maybe a one year deal I could see. But a multi-year deal at $10 million+ each? I would hope the Sox stay away from something like that. He's awesome, and he's having a career year, but he's getting up there in age. I wonder if he could repeat what he's done in 2012 so far?

I think 2/20 is going to be the starting point, unless AJ just collapses in the second half. Contracts are going up, especially in a position that is very difficult to find quality players in.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 9, 2012 -> 08:59 AM)
I think 2/20 is going to be the starting point, unless AJ just collapses in the second half. Contracts are going up, especially in a position that is very difficult to find quality players in.

I suppose with the catcher position being a tough one to fill. If he gets that type of deal, good for him.

What does everyone think here? What's the most you'd like to see the Sox offer AJ?

I'm guessing the Sox offer somewhere in the neighborhood of 2/$15 million with an option. And I'll go one step further and predict he'll be back even though there were a couple slightly higher offers. I do not expect him to get a multi-year offer for $10 million or more per.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 9, 2012 -> 09:37 AM)
As I said earlier, the Yadier Molina just got a deal that is going to be paying him $15 million when he is 35, plus an option year for $18 million at age 36.

And it it still isn't a valid comparison. A 5 year deal for a 30 year old is just not anything like a new deal for a 36 year old catcher. Yes, the numbers go up over the contract, they always do that, but its pay for now, later.

Also, whether or not its reality, the perception is that AJ is trouble. That will absolutely play a role.

I'd be shocked if he got more than $5-$6M/year, or more than 2 years.

The Sox's hands may be tied after this season. Tyler Flowers has not impressed, and he's taking on a Mike LaValliere shape. They may end up being the high bidder on AJ because they don't have a suitable replacement. However, it seems like a lot of teams may be in the same boat.