My Sox Summer - 50 games for under $500

My_Sox_Summer

Hello fellow Sox fans! I am just putting this out there for you guys to see. I recently (April) moved from Sterling, IL into Chicago over by Sox Park. Since I moved I have been going to a bunch of games being that I am under employed and work mostly from home when I do have work to do. A few weeks into the season I decided to try and see if I could do this, 50 games for under $500. I usually get tickets at the game from people with extras. I usually spend about $10 a game. I will bring my own water and peanuts from time to time, but rarely do I spend much on extras at the park.

I decided to blog about it so you can read and follow my progress at-

http://mysoxsummer.wordpress.com/

I am also on FB - http://www.facebook.com/MySoxSummer

I post pictures and scans of the tickets to make it more legit. I am not an author so it is lacking on the verbal end, but a bunch of folks have told me that they like it. I am at Game #23 and have a total of $152 spent. Frank Thomas and Jermaine Dye have re-tweeted it to their followers on Twitter. Just wanted to share. Thanks guys!

Go Sox! Be nice to take the next three in Boston! :gosoxretro:

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (My_Sox_Summer @ Jul 17, 2012 -> 05:37 PM)
Hello fellow Sox fans! I am just putting this out there for you guys to see. I recently (April) moved from Sterling, IL into Chicago over by Sox Park. Since I moved I have been going to a bunch of games being that I am under employed and work mostly from home when I do have work to do. A few weeks into the season I decided to try and see if I could do this, 50 games for under $500. I usually get tickets at the game from people with extras. I usually spend about $10 a game. I will bring my own water and peanuts from time to time, but rarely do I spend much on extras at the park.

I post pictures and scans of the tickets to make it more legit. I am not an author so it is lacking on the verbal end, but a bunch of folks have told me that they like it. I am at Game #23 and have a total of $152 spent. Frank Thomas and Jermaine Dye have re-tweeted it to their followers on Twitter. Just wanted to share. Thanks guys!

Interesting idea, and flies in the face of all the crazy meatballs who remember when cheeseburgers were 25 cents

Damn. Makes me feel pretty awful not only about my spending at games/concerts, but every day. I was quite pleased with myself for staying true to my resolution of not buying beer at a sporting event or concert and not driving/paying for parking. It's pretty liberating...until you think of the many other ways there are for you to spend.

Thanks Scotty! It is really just me trying to see if it can be done. From what I have experienced so far, it is very possible.

Swing- you bring up an interesting point. As a child I went to very few games and man, it was a shocker if I got something from that game, food included. Maybe a 25¢ hot dog or brat at a minor league game in Clinton, IA. But that wasn't the reason for me going. When I lived out west (Huntington Beach, CA) I only went to the Sox series in Anaheim, so I would spend more. Mostly on beer, rarely on food. I got a bunch of free tickets to those games too, so I thought it was an even trade.

I don't judge the people spending massive amounts, but the baseball experience doesn't need to include a $15 nacho helmet washed down with an $8 beer. The Sox are a great value for the quality they put on the field. Even after 23 games I still get goosebumps when they start playing AC/DC.

Go Sox!

QUOTE (My_Sox_Summer @ Jul 17, 2012 -> 05:13 PM)
Thanks Scotty! It is really just me trying to see if it can be done. From what I have experienced so far, it is very possible.

Swing- you bring up an interesting point. As a child I went to very few games and man, it was a shocker if I got something from that game, food included. Maybe a 25¢ hot dog or brat at a minor league game in Clinton, IA. But that wasn't the reason for me going. When I lived out west (Huntington Beach, CA) I only went to the Sox series in Anaheim, so I would spend more. Mostly on beer, rarely on food. I got a bunch of free tickets to those games too, so I thought it was an even trade.

I don't judge the people spending massive amounts, but the baseball experience doesn't need to include a $15 nacho helmet washed down with an $8 beer. The Sox are a great value for the quality they put on the field. Even after 23 games I still get goosebumps when they start playing AC/DC.

Go Sox!

I was born in Clinton, IA.

Go LumberKings!

QUOTE (My_Sox_Summer @ Jul 17, 2012 -> 10:13 PM)

Go Sox!

That nacho helmet is the best bargain in the stadium.

QUOTE (My_Sox_Summer @ Jul 17, 2012 -> 04:37 PM)

So do you count transportation or parking in your formula.

QUOTE (Jake @ Jul 17, 2012 -> 06:51 PM)
If you have, say, $150 remaining at your last game....do you splurge?

Ya know, I don't know. Last week I splurged for a $20 good seat because I had got so many for free. More than likely I will get a good seat for #50.

Edited by My_Sox_Summer

QUOTE (southsideirish71 @ Jul 17, 2012 -> 07:28 PM)
So do you count transportation or parking in your formula.

I do, which is $0. I live less than a mile from the park. If I didn't live so close I wouldn't be doing this. :headbang

What I count is only the ticket cost. I normally don't purchase anything at the game in terms of food or drink. I have been lucky with some free tickets (including 2 Cubs/Sox games) and I always try to buy at the box office before I go online. Sadly, a bunch of codes that work online don't work at the box office, which is complete BS. So a $14 seat, when you use a 50% code usually ends up running just under $14 with fees, when you buy a single. I think that is a bunch of BS. The deals should be online and at the box office.

QUOTE (bighurt574 @ Jul 18, 2012 -> 09:06 AM)
Nice idea. I hate playing grammar police, but if you're looking for writing tips, try to cut down on "so," I counted six or seven of those in just the first paragraph of your latest entry.

Yeah, that is pretty bad. Thanks for the tip!

Great idea. Great blog.

I'd assume you will eventually get a lot of publicity on this if you seek publicity.

If I were you and if you want publicity, I'd email some of the TV reporters and writers. Their emails should all be available.

They'd probably hit you up later in your adventure.

Great idea and well executed.

Your writing is just fine, grammar is overrated.

If I were you, I would look for the publicity greg mentioned, then start making sponsorship calls!

Get yourself some ad $ for your site and work. Keep up the good work!

I would also start a twitter acct if you have not already and grow your following.

Cool idea for a blog! I had always thought buying tickets from someone at the gate was scalping. Is that only if you pay above face value? I don't have any objections at all to getting deals on tickets. I'm just concerned that the blog may somehow get the author into trouble. Hope you save that site for your own memories. Twenty years from now it will be pretty nostalgic to read it.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 18, 2012 -> 02:13 PM)
Great idea. Great blog.

I'd assume you will eventually get a lot of publicity on this if you seek publicity.

If I were you and if you want publicity, I'd email some of the TV reporters and writers. Their emails should all be available.

They'd probably hit you up later in your adventure.

Thanks Greg! When I get closer to the final game, I might just do that!

QUOTE (rowand's rowdies @ Jul 18, 2012 -> 02:38 PM)
Great idea and well executed.

Your writing is just fine, grammar is overrated.

If I were you, I would look for the publicity greg mentioned, then start making sponsorship calls!

Get yourself some ad $ for your site and work. Keep up the good work!

I would also start a twitter acct if you have not already and grow your following.

I do have a Twitter- @mysoxsummer

Check it out!

QUOTE (103 mph screwball @ Jul 18, 2012 -> 02:51 PM)
Cool idea for a blog! I had always thought buying tickets from someone at the gate was scalping. Is that only if you pay above face value? I don't have any objections at all to getting deals on tickets. I'm just concerned that the blog may somehow get the author into trouble. Hope you save that site for your own memories. Twenty years from now it will be pretty nostalgic to read it.

Thanks 103!

http://www.huckbouma.com/CM/Publications/ticketscalping.asp

According to that, buying for below face is not scalping so it isn't breaking any laws. Nor is selling me a ticket for cost or for less. I just need to be 2,000 feet away from the stadium, which I follow strictly. :unsure: I am sure that the Sox don't want people to know how easy it is to get cheaper tickets, so they haven't done anything on Twitter for me. When they do the deals for $10 or less, I always buy at the box office.

QUOTE (103 mph screwball @ Jul 18, 2012 -> 02:51 PM)
I have bought/sold tix through craigslist and picked up right by gate 4. not that hard. security stops people openly pimping tix too close to the park. that's why the scalpers work closer to the train and expressway.

QUOTE (ewokpelts @ Jul 23, 2012 -> 09:35 AM)
have you tried buying vouchers online? the kids' club vouchers are all over ebay.

pm me if you need help getting tix

Wow. I looked those up, might work for me.

If anyone has any extras, I am always looking. I try to spend about $10 a ticket.