Chick-Fil-A and Homosexuality

CanOfCorn

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Jul 20, 2012 -> 07:17 AM)
Yea, like I said...not true at all.

This tells me you need to get out more. ;)

Reddy, I'm sure all of the people in this world that are starving in this world would say otherwise.

Personally, I like Chik-Fil-A's food a lot. They treat there employees well (and provide very good ownership opportunities for their employees). However, this comment is ridiculous and as far as I'm concerned the owner should shut-up. He is entitled to his opinion (even if I think its a stupid one).

• Replies 923
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

only in america do they use the phrase "quality of food" and chick fil a in the same sentence in an approving manner.

Everybody pretty much understands that "quality of food" was used within the context of the genre of fast food restaurants.

Well, everybody except one.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Jul 20, 2012 -> 09:26 AM)
Everybody pretty much understands that "quality of food" was used within the context of the genre of fast food restaurants.

Well, everybody except one.

haha or maybe i understood and just felt like pushing my agenda anyway.

If I boycotted the products of all the companies whose members of upper management have differing/objectionable ideals, I would likely have to be totally self sufficient. This is one that gets much more media attention because gay marriage is such a polarizing issue that gets plenty of media attention by itself

QUOTE (daa84 @ Jul 20, 2012 -> 07:33 AM)
If I boycotted the products of all the companies whose members of upper management have differing/objectionable ideals, I would likely have to be totally self sufficient. This is one that gets much more media attention because gay marriage is such a polarizing issue that gets plenty of media attention by itself

Most companies don't have owners/upper management that are so vocal about their stances.

QUOTE (daa84 @ Jul 20, 2012 -> 10:33 AM)

I can respect personal stances. I don't respect using your business to advance a social agenda.

QUOTE (Rex Kicka** @ Jul 20, 2012 -> 09:25 AM)
You're right I paraphrased.

There's a pretty important distinction there. There are people who think homosexuality is wrong and that it's not the preferred family structure in our society. But they don't believe in judging gay people or chastising them or hoping they die a horrible death.

QUOTE (Rex Kicka** @ Jul 20, 2012 -> 10:57 AM)
Let me rephrase this. I won't boycott a business based on someone's personal stance. When that person's personal stance is reflected in the way that company does business, that's when a boycott is fair game IMO.

People get all high and mighty about boycotting businesses, and I bet most of them own Apple products or Nike products that are produced with child labor in some other country. Out of sight, out of mind.

(not saying what you think is wrong, just the reality of the world we live in. If everyone was consistent with not doing business with people they don't agree with you'd have to be self-sufficient basically)

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jul 20, 2012 -> 11:35 AM)
There's a pretty important distinction there. There are people who think homosexuality is wrong and that it's not the preferred family structure in our society. But they don't believe in judging gay people or chastising them or hoping they die a horrible death.

You're right, but I think he goes a bit beyond thinking it's wrong and not the preferred family structure with this:

"I think we are inviting God's judgment on our nation when we shake our fist at Him and say, 'We know better than you as to what constitutes a marriage,' and I pray God's mercy on our generation that has such a prideful, arrogant attitude to think that we have the audacity to define what marriage is about," Cathy said in that interview, which can be heard here.

I think we are inviting God's judgment on our nation when we shake our fist at Him and say, 'We know better than you as to what constitutes a marriage

Christianity does not teach that God judges entire nations, communities, races, etc., for the sins of individual people.

QUOTE (farmteam @ Jul 20, 2012 -> 12:08 PM)
You're right, but I think he goes a bit beyond thinking it's wrong and not the preferred family structure with this:

Yeah I read that as "I believe God has established that marriage is between a man and a woman. As a society we keep questioning that and it's not our place to think we know better." There's nothing negative about that. There's no "rot in hell" component to that.

I don't see why people need to apologize for wanting to support what they believe is the ideal family unit.

QUOTE (kjshoe04 @ Jul 20, 2012 -> 01:07 PM)
Ate Chick Fil A for lunch today; don't like their politics but love the food.

so by eating the food you're supporting the politics... but that doesn't matter to you?

QUOTE (Reddy @ Jul 20, 2012 -> 02:18 PM)
so by eating the food you're supporting the politics... but that doesn't matter to you?

Doesn't matter to me at all. It's a franchise. I'm sure an incredibly tiny fraction of my money goes to anti gay rights groups. My vocal support of gay rights is worth more than that. When I was 19 I probably would've cared.

It's not worth my trouble.

If a business had something I loved yet promoted beliefs that are against me (they wouldn't like me as an atheist, for instance) I'm going to continue to shop there especially when the product is as unique as Chick-Fil-A. Seriously, there is no fried chicken that tastes like that. God has blessed them with holy Manna in their chicken breast. I will not abstain from it especially when they are willing to serve me despite my beliefs. I also take my business elsewhere on Sundays.

What will affect my buying decision is the quality of product and quality of service. I like that my local grocer buys from local farmers, but the food is s***ty and expensive so I don't buy it. Sorry I'm not sorry.

Edited by Jake