Chick-Fil-A and Homosexuality

CanOfCorn

By now, you've probably heard about Chick-Fil-A and their anti-same sex marriage stand. This coming from a company that is openly evangelical. Is it a big deal?

Personally, I think they can have any opinion they want, but it's a slippery slope. The corporation gives to "anti-gay" groups but will gladly accept money from the LGBT community (if anyone of them would ever go there again). But, you can't discriminate and not allow them to buy your chicken.

Seems like this is a case of shut up and serve....

matt

• Replies 923
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The amazing thing about this company is...we actually know what kind of political contributions they're making and we can make our own economic choices based on whether or not we want to support that.

Remarkable, isn't it?

The fries are above average, the chicken is below average.

Easily skippable.

This. Exactly.

I choose where I eat based on location, price, and quality of food. I do not choose where I eat based on politics.

Never had it, never really cared too do so. But I wouldn't avoid them for some sort of ideological reason...I just don't care enough.

I heard they treat their employees better than a lot of such places, however...but that may or may not be true, since I never bothered to look it up.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jul 19, 2012 -> 11:22 AM)
They have every right to think that way, you have every right not to consume their products. That's the way I look at it.

True...here's my question:

Every corporation can donate to any charity/group/anything they want (that's legal). But doesn't this open up a discriminatory slippery slope? Is Chick-Fil-A not indirectly discriminating? Aren't CEO Dan Cathy's comments basically segregating the LGBT community KNOWING they are going to boycott?

I understand the idea of choice. But that works for anyone who ISN'T gay. Is this borderline discriminatory?

True...here's my question:

Every corporation can donate to any charity/group/anything they want (that's legal). But doesn't this open up a discriminatory slippery slope? Is Chick-Fil-A not indirectly discriminating? Aren't CEO Dan Cathy's comments basically segregating the LGBT community KNOWING they are going to boycott?

I understand the idea of choice. But that works for anyone who ISN'T gay. Is this borderline discriminatory?

They are already discriminating against Atheists, Muslims, and Jews by being open 6 days a week but not Sunday. The ACLU should file a huge lawsuit to try to force them to be open on Sunday. In fact, the ACLU should file a lawsuit against every single business that isn't open on Christmas and force them all to be open.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Jul 19, 2012 -> 11:47 AM)
They are already discriminating against Atheists, Muslims, and Jews by being open 6 days a week but not Sunday. The ACLU should file a huge lawsuit to try to force them to be open on Sunday. In fact, the ACLU should file a lawsuit against every single business that isn't open on Christmas and force them all to be open.

I don't think that's any of the ACLU's f***ing business.

If a business wants to close it's doors on Sunday, regardless of reason, it's up to them to do so. I see no grounds for you, or anyone else -- for any reason -- to be able to tell a business when it has to operate. That's just ludicrous.

If you don't like how they operate, or what days they operate for whatever reason...don't support them by eating there.

Edited by Y2HH

I don't think that's any of the ACLU's f***ing business.

If a business wants to close it's doors on Sunday, regardless of reason, it's up to them to do so. I see no grounds for you, or anyone else for any reason to be able to tell a business when it has to operate. That's just ludicrous.

I'm sorry, I was trying to say something so outrageous that people would know it was a joke without being in green. I guess I failed.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Jul 19, 2012 -> 11:50 AM)
I'm sorry, I was trying to say something so outrageous that people would know it was a joke without being in green. I guess I failed.

It's not a joke, even if it is to you, because there are a lot of people that actually feel that way. Green text or not...

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Jul 19, 2012 -> 12:47 PM)

I cant quite tell if you are joking or not. Obviously havent been around the forums much so I dont know some peoples personality. But Im going to take this as a joke.

*edit*

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Jul 19, 2012 -> 12:50 PM)

nvm

Edited by Indy_Soxer

Also, I very much enjoy eating there, and I am certainly not part of the anti-gay party. I have several friends who are homosexual, in fact 1 will be joining my group that is going out to the bars tonight. But it is their choice what their views on anything are. If they are ok with a few people boycotting them, then obviously they dont care about what a few people think of them.

One thing I will point out, since the word discrimination was brought up here and its gross misusage is a pet peeve of mine:

Having a belief by itself does not constitute discrimination. Discrimination requires an action.

I can believe anything I want about people who are gay, Muslim, black, or old, but as long as I don't treat them differently when they patronize my business or apply for a job with me, then I am not guilty of discrimination.

I happen to subscribe to the Christian teaching that homosexual activity is a sin, but I also subscribe to the Christian teaching that all people are to be treated with respect and that the best way to help a person deal with this, or any other sin, is to be welcoming to them and not to shout and yell insults at them. This is, unfortunately, lost among 90+% of the "Christians" that get air time on TV and give big money to the Republican Party.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Jul 19, 2012 -> 11:59 AM)
Having a belief by itself does not constitute discrimination. Discrimination requires an action.

I can believe anything I want about people who are gay, Muslim, black, or old, but as long as I don't treat them differently when they patronize my business or apply for a job with me, then I am not guilty of discrimination.

If you hold negative views of groups, you will treat them differently. That's pretty much unavoidable.

If you hold negative views of groups, you will treat them differently. That's pretty much unavoidable.

To a certain extent, yes, but then everybody has a negative view of some groups and treats them differently. Nobody is perfect in that way. You can have beliefs and still suppress them to the extent that you are not discriminating in a significant way.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jul 19, 2012 -> 12:06 PM)

This was the question. I'm not calling it discrimination, I was asking if it can be construed that way. Sorry if it wasn't clear enough.

To a certain extent, yes, but then everybody has a negative view of some groups and treats them differently. Nobody is perfect in that way. You can have beliefs and still suppress them to the extent that you are not discriminating in a significant way.

But the COO didn't suppress them...that's why I was asking.

Edited by CanOfCorn