20/7 (or 7/20): White Sox @ Detroit... IT'S ON!!!!

Joxer_Daly

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 21, 2012 -> 02:37 AM)
Right now I'm most concerned with the fact that we seem to have been overworking Peavy and some of our starters lately. This lack of experienced relievers is hurting the club.

+1

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Nobody ever really said Peavy was an ace anymore.

He's been great, he's Top 5 in the AL in quality starts and he's had horrible run support.

That said, he's been more and more hittable as the season has progressed. He'll have those innings where he struggles to put away hitters and his offspeed pitches aren't sharp and they hang out over the plate and get tatooed. It happened again tonight.

He'll never be the same pitcher who threw 93-96 consistently, and he'll never be the ace of a staff, but he's a super solid 2 guy now and a great 3 guy in a rotation.

He's a bulldog, he eats innings and you have to drag him out of the game at your own peril, but he's not a Cy Young caliber pitcher after that surgery...but he's doing the best he possibly can under the circumstances, he has pushed himself as far as he can humanly go without another injury.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 20, 2012 -> 08:37 PM)
Right now I'm most concerned with the fact that we seem to have been overworking Peavy and some of our starters lately. This lack of experienced relievers is hurting the club.

That and Thornton just isn't reliable like he was in 2006-07-08-09.

It's almost like the curse of MARTE.

Once they pushed him to the very back of the bullpen and gave him closing opportunities, something's just broken inside of him.

What is he now, 0 for 7 in save opportunities now?

And Crain has been hurt and not nearly as effective as he was in 2011. And no Frasor, although he was pretty MEHHHHHH for us.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 20, 2012 -> 09:40 PM)
Nobody ever really said Peavy was an ace anymore.

He's been great, he's Top 5 in the AL in quality starts and he's had horrible run support.

That said, he's been more and more hittable as the season has progressed. He'll have those innings where he struggles to put away hitters and his offspeed pitches aren't sharp and they hang out over the plate and get tatooed. It happened again tonight.

He'll never be the same pitcher who threw 93-96 consistently, and he'll never be the ace of a staff, but he's a super solid 2 guy now and a great 3 guy in a rotation.

He's a bulldog, he eats innings and you have to drag him out of the game at your own peril, but he's not a Cy Young caliber pitcher after that surgery...but he's doing the best he possibly can under the circumstances, he has pushed himself as far as he can humanly go without another injury.

And even then, he held down a pretty potent offense today. It was just a mistake(beaning Berry) and another woeful lack of run support, albeit against the reigning MVP/CY Young.

Tough to fault Peavy tonite. The Sox werent gonna win with 2 runs

Peavy hit Quentin Berry and then gave up some singles. It sucks but it happened. We didn't hit well and Verlander is good. Our best hitter has been slumping for over a month. Dayan isn't exactly en fuego.

Tomorrow we have Sale vs Rick Porcello and then we have Humber vs Jacob Turner...two very winnable matchups. Let's go boys! If we don't win this series, there's a ton of season left, nothing to freak out about. Very interested in KW's next move, if there is one.

QUOTE (Jake @ Jul 20, 2012 -> 08:50 PM)
Peavy hit Quentin Berry and then gave up some singles. It sucks but it happened. We didn't hit well and Verlander is good. Our best hitter has been slumping for over a month. Dayan isn't exactly en fuego.

Tomorrow we have Sale vs Rick Porcello and then we have Humber vs Jacob Turner...two very winnable matchups. Let's go boys! If we don't win this series, there's a ton of season left, nothing to freak out about. Very interested in KW's next move, if there is one.

Yeah, this is how I feel. This one was always going to be gravy to us if we won. We have the edge tomorrow and Sunday. Let's take care of business.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jul 21, 2012 -> 03:32 AM)
Didnt you just ask why someone isnt putting up a "Peavy is not an Ace" thread like the Buehrle threads from like 2004?

And you accuse me of picking out negative posts? At least im picking out one that just happened, not one from 8 years ago

I'm just shocked Caesar and the other newbie didn't get called out for proclaiming the game was ova again and the season was ova in about the fifth inning and my post was the only one called out for its negativity. I'm sick of being the whipping boy, I guess.

I like Peavy. I am pissed he gave the runs back immediately. he got clubbed that ensuing inning.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 20, 2012 -> 10:54 PM)
I'm just shocked Caesar and the other newbie didn't get called out for proclaiming the game was ova again and the season was ova in about the fifth inning and my post was the only one called out for its negativity. I'm sick of being the whipping boy, I guess.

I like Peavy. I am pissed he gave the runs back immediately. he got clubbed that ensuing inning.

Maybe you should stop dwelling in the past so much.