7/27 Games

flavum

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (winninguglyin83 @ Jul 28, 2012 -> 04:06 AM)
morel with three errors tonight, one throwing, two fielding.

lost season, especially after he finished strong in 2011.

It's All Good...let him get healthy and hopefully some confidence in the minor

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Jul 27, 2012 -> 09:35 PM)
Walker has been very impressive especially considering his slow start in April (May too I believe.) Still has to work on his K rate, but I think you can make a case for him as their #1 prospect right now.

That's a reach at this point. He was good, but not great at Kannapolis. Decent average, good walk rate, good steal numbers, but bad K rate and minimal power. He's red hot in High-A, but it's been 10 games. Let's not jump to huge conclusions over a 10 game stretch. If he keeps up these numbers through the end of the year, then sure he's the No. 1.

Ok, here is a strange question. My friend was asking me how the Rule-5 picks work. I explained it to him, and then thought of a question myself.

What is stopping a terrible team from, during the Rule V draft, going ahead drafting someone like Jameson Taillon, or Micheal Sano, or Bubba Starling. Guys who aren't likely to be on their teams 40-man, but a team decides to steal away and put on their 25-man roster for the season in a lost year. Like a team like the Cubs or Twins, who have pretty much no chance in 2013, what is stopping them from stealing away a top prospect in the majors, burning a year on the major league roster, and then optioning them back down to AA or AAA in 2014? (or keeping them in the majors if it works out). If the prospect is ruined by this rapid jump, then who cares, because they only spent the $50K or whatever it was to draft a Rule V player.

Is that even possible? Not saying any team would do this, because I'm sure your rep as a GM would plummet and you'd be pretty much hated, but is there anyone stopping someone from doing this to a hated rival?

Morel 0/4 with 3 K's for Charlotte.

Mitchell 5/15 with a a hit in all four games he's played in so far. 2 RBI.

Courtney Hawkins 2/5, 2B, RBI, sporting a 733 OPS.

Haven't noticed Barnum back playing 1B even though he's supposedly been cleared to play again.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (th0mas35 @ Jul 28, 2012 -> 01:15 AM)
Rule 5= the player must have 5 years of experience and not be on the protected roster(40 man) so any top prospect won't 1. Still be in the minors after 5 years or 2. They'd be on the 40 man roster

..in a nutshell

Ah, ok. I didn't realize that detail. I guess I didn't realize Terry Doyle had 5 years of experience, but being like 26 or whatever he is, it's possible.

EDIT: Actually, Doyle only has 3 years of minor league service time, according to Baseball-reference. He joined the league in 2008, and was Rule-V drafted prior to the 2012 season.

Edited by JoeCoolMan24

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 28, 2012 -> 07:15 AM)
Morel 0/4 with 3 K's for Charlotte.

Mitchell 5/15 with a a hit in all four games he's played in so far. 2 RBI.

Promising showing fr Mitchell so far. Maybe he'll just perform better against better competition and goes against all logic. Keep those hits coming this weekend to possibly showcase for a trade(?)

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Jul 28, 2012 -> 01:19 AM)
Ah, ok. I didn't realize that detail. I guess I didn't realize Terry Doyle had 5 years of experience, but being like 26 or whatever he is, it's possible.

EDIT: Actually, Doyle only has 3 years of minor league service time, according to Baseball-reference. He joined the league in 2008, and was Rule-V drafted prior to the 2012 season.

19+ year old players when drafted have 4 years before hitting Rule 5 eligibility. Doyle was drafted by the Sox in 08 so he had four minor league seasons before the Twins took him.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Jul 27, 2012 -> 09:35 PM)
Walker has been very impressive especially considering his slow start in April (May too I believe.) Still has to work on his K rate, but I think you can make a case for him as their #1 prospect right now.

I love how Walker has been playing, but I'll still take Mitchell and Thompsom over him at this point because of their power.

Having said that, I don't see how these three guys and Hawkins won't all be in our top 6 prospects. That's pretty insane to have four legitimate CF prospects.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jul 28, 2012 -> 06:44 AM)
I love how Walker has been playing, but I'll still take Mitchell and Thompsom over him at this point because of their power.

Having said that, I don't see how these three guys and Hawkins won't all be in our top 6 prospects. That's pretty insane to have four legitimate CF prospects.

I'm not a fan of Thompson. I think it's an ominous sign that his development continues to be stalled 1,300 plate appearances in. Plus, not sure he doesn't grow out of CF and moves to RF where his bat would need to get better.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Jul 28, 2012 -> 09:01 AM)
I'm not a fan of Thompson. I think it's an ominous sign that his development continues to be stalled 1,300 plate appearances in. Plus, not sure he doesn't grow out of CF and moves to RF where his bat would need to get better.

But he struck out in just two games this week and that increased contact rate showcased his plus power. The 6-foot-4 Thompson hit four home runs, including longballs in three straight and a game-winning grand slam Thursday. More than half of Thompson's hits have gone for extra bases this season, giving him the second-highest isolated slugging percentage (.239) and home run total (21) in the South Atlantic League. His defense has improved this season and according to one scout, "That guy can play a big league center field right now."

If Cespedes can do it, Thompson can.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Jul 28, 2012 -> 09:01 AM)

From the BA Hot Sheet:

His defense has improved this season and according to one scout, "That guy can play a big league center field right now."

I don't think defense is an issue.