Post your Top 10 Sox Prospects

NorthSideSox72

Someone asked in the catch-all thread, and a few posted theirs in a thread a few weeks ago. Some things have changed in the month or so since FutureSox posted theirs.

So just for fun, all you minor league watchers, post your current Top 10. I'll start, just off the top of my head...

1. Courtney Hawkins

2. Trayce Thompson

3. Erik Johnson

4. Jared Mitchell

5. Keenyn Walker

6. Andre Rienzo

7. Carlos Sanchez

8. Simon Castro

9. Keon Barnum

10. Scott Snodgress

Just miss: Dylan Axelrod, Nestor Molina

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1. Courtney Hawkins

2. Trayce Thompson

3. Kennyn Walker

4. Erik Johnson

5. Carlos Sanchez

6. Keon Barnum

7. Andre Rienzo

8. Scott Snodgress

9. Nestor Molina

10. Jared Mitchell

Edit: I don't know if we are still considering Hector Santiago a prospect, but if so, I'd have him at 6

Edited by ChiSox_Sonix

QUOTE (Jose Paniagua @ Aug 15, 2012 -> 02:18 PM)
Thanks! Very rare one of my ideas goes from Catch-all to full thread status --- usually it's the reverse of that

Sox really dropped the ball on this pick. Check out his age in year 2012

http://www.thebaseballcube.com/players/pro...?P=Chris-Beck-1

Nice fail.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Aug 15, 2012 -> 03:00 PM)
1. Hawkins

2. Thompson

3. Barnum

4. Castro

5. Johnson

6. Sanchez

7. Beck

8. Walker

9. Mitchell

10. Molina

Santiago and Axelrod are no longer prospects in my eyes. They fit in this group otherwise.

I don't think Axelrod fits into the group regardless, Santiago isn't an official prospect anymore but I think I'd have him at 4 or 5 if he was.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Aug 15, 2012 -> 03:00 PM)
1. Hawkins

2. Thompson

3. Barnum

4. Castro

5. Johnson

6. Sanchez

7. Beck

8. Walker

9. Mitchell

10. Molina

Santiago and Axelrod are no longer prospects in my eyes. They fit in this group otherwise.

Santiago no longer qualifies due to rookie qualifications, not sure on Axelrod.

No Rienzo love, danman?

With having never seen any of them, I would go with

1.Hawkins

2.Thompson

3.Johnson

4.Walker

5.Barnum

6.Beck

7.Snodgress

8.Rienzo

9.Castro

10.Mitchell

11.Williams Jr (j/k)

For me, Thompson has made a big push at #1. I know the potential of Hawkins is huge, but Thompson is really moving nicely up the system. Johnson and Snodgress have also made nice jumps this season. I really like Beck too, as he was a top 10 pick if he were draft eligible last year. If he can recapture his form, he goes into the Top 3 automatically.

QUOTE (GoodAsGould @ Aug 15, 2012 -> 03:03 PM)
I don't think Axelrod fits into the group regardless, Santiago isn't an official prospect anymore but I think I'd have him at 4 or 5 if he was.

I would argue Axelrod over Molina, but that's all. I value Santiago in the same range.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Aug 15, 2012 -> 03:04 PM)
No Rienzo love, danman?

His ERA is great for Birmingham, but his walk rate and low groundball rate worry me. He's in the next tier.

Shouldn't Saladino be on some of these lists? Based on his position... even losing some of that power you would have to think he has a future still.

Also, while I understand why Barnum is on these lists (because our system is just that damn bad).... it sure says a lot that a high schooler already limited to 1B etc has jumped up this high in the minds of many. Is that based on more than hope? Obviously these kinds of rankings are kind of a weird thing, because I know that not everyone on this board just purely bases their rankings on ceilings.......but then when you have high hope for a high schooler that didn't come with Hawkins' pedigree, I have to think he's basically on there for ceiling's sake alone.

QUOTE (Jose Paniagua @ Aug 15, 2012 -> 03:43 PM)
Shouldn't Saladino be on some of these lists? Based on his position... even losing some of that power you would have to think he has a future still.

Also, while I understand why Barnum is on these lists (because our system is just that damn bad).... it sure says a lot that a high schooler already limited to 1B etc has jumped up this high in the minds of many. Is that based on more than hope? Obviously these kinds of rankings are kind of a weird thing, because I know that not everyone on this board just purely bases their rankings on ceilings.......but then when you have high hope for a high schooler that didn't come with Hawkins' pedigree, I have to think he's basically on there for ceiling's sake alone.

I think Saladino falls into the Travis Kuhn book. Low ceiling that he has pretty much hit.

The Sox system sure looks to be in better shape now than it did a year ago (though it's hard to complain with all the rookies who have contributed this year). It would sure be nice if we could add/develop a little more depth, especially in the infield and behind the plate.

1. Hawkins, OF

2. Thompson, OF

3. Johnson, RHP

4. Beck, RHP

5. Walker, OF

6. Rienzo, RHP

7. Sanchez, INF

8. Barnum, 1B

9. Snodgress, LHP

10. Saladino, INF (almost a .400 OBP as a 22 y/o in AA ain't shabby)

others: Castro, DeMichele, Soptic. Mitchell I guess, though I just can't see the guy making enough contact to stick around.

QUOTE (Dizzy Sox @ Aug 16, 2012 -> 01:39 AM)
The Sox system sure looks to be in better shape now than it did a year ago (though it's hard to complain with all the rookies who have contributed this year). It would sure be nice if we could add/develop a little more depth, especially in the infield and behind the plate.

We've always been able to do the "pull a bullpen pitcher out of the hat" move even if he didn't wind up sticking with us (think guys like Richard, Harrell who are now back of the rotation starters after we cast them aside, etc.) The difference now is that there is actually a much more level playing field in the draft and international signing arena. As soon as the playing field was leveled, we suddenly saw the Sox much more active in those areas. That can't be a coincidence.

QUOTE (winninguglyin83 @ Aug 15, 2012 -> 11:23 PM)
1. Thompson

2. Hawkins

3. Johnson

4. Walker

5. Rienzo

6. Barnum

7. Sanchez

8. Phegley

9. Petricka

10. DeMichele

Bust -- Mitchell never going to hit well enough.

DeMichele is an interesting one.

Phegley... I actually had him in my top 10 when we were doing the summer FS list a couple months ago, but some people had him as low as in the 20's. He's been a little iffy in AAA as the year has gone on, so he dropped a few slots for me... still though, if you look at how little actual development time he has had, with all the injuries, he's done pretty well and moved fast, for a catcher. If he can stay healthy, I'm guessing he has a big 2013 offensively.

Some of you guys must define a good prospect solely on where they were drafted, not on their performance. Sox need hitters. Dan Black at W-S has emerged as a genuine hitting prospect, but since he was drafted in the 14th round you guys don't look at him. Besides his emperical stats, which should be obvious, he has improved every year -- significantly-- as he moves up the ladder. Anyone who hits for both average and power should get some attention.

QUOTE (oldsox @ Aug 16, 2012 -> 11:03 AM)
Some of you guys must define a good prospect solely on where they were drafted, not on their performance. Sox need hitters. Dan Black at W-S has emerged as a genuine hitting prospect, but since he was drafted in the 14th round you guys don't look at him. Besides his emperical stats, which should be obvious, he has improved every year -- significantly-- as he moves up the ladder. Anyone who hits for both average and power should get some attention.

There's one more ingredient you're missing...age, which correlates directly to physical development. Dan Black's birthday is 07/2/1987, which makes him a 25 year old in high A ball, and would put him on track to reach the big leagues at 27-28 if he spends a full year in AA and AAA. He ought to be better than the A ball leagues, because he's 2-3 years older than where guys at that level should be.

That doesn't mean he's guaranteed to fail, it just means you have to be skeptical about the numbers if your goal is to project somehow "what will this person do once they reach the major leagues".

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 16, 2012 -> 10:23 AM)
There's one more ingredient you're missing...age, which correlates directly to physical development. Dan Black's birthday is 07/2/1987, which makes him a 25 year old in high A ball, and would put him on track to reach the big leagues at 27-28 if he spends a full year in AA and AAA. He ought to be better than the A ball leagues, because he's 2-3 years older than where guys at that level should be.

That doesn't mean he's guaranteed to fail, it just means you have to be skeptical about the numbers if your goal is to project somehow "what will this person do once they reach the major leagues".

Exactly. Age is not the end of all things of course, and Dan Black may end up making it. Shoemaker is in a similar category, though with better hitting numbers, playing OF instead of 1B, and now playing at AA... so he's higher up the food chain.

Dan Black is also a first baseman, and generally you are only going to get somewhere at that position if you are a seriously premium bat. He doesn't have that at this point. If he goes to AA next year and demolishes the ball, maybe gets to AAA in 2013 as well, then it might be time to start talking about him being a top propsect. Heck, look at a guy on his own team, Michael Earley... who is putting up better hitting numbers, almost a year younger, playing OF instead of 1B, and having fewer development years to do it... and even he is a marginal prospect.

Also, oldsox, what would your top 10 be?