US Ambassador to Libya killed

DukeNukeEm

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wonder what our response will be. A rocket attack upon an embassy is technically an attack upon the U.S. and thus an act of war, but this appears to have been the work of a mob, as opposed to the Libyan government or army, and Libya is profusely apologizing and saying all the right things. I would hope arresting and turning over the responsible parties to the U.S. would be the goal here and that we take control of that, but no doubt this thing will become an election year political football.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Sep 12, 2012 -> 11:28 AM)
...what?

It took me a minute too. The invisible Obama that only the Republicans can see controls the media, saw that the article said something about Al Qaeda, Invisible Axelrod in chair next to him gave a call to Yahoo asking them to change story, then asked them to change story again.

QUOTE (PlaySumFnJurny @ Sep 12, 2012 -> 10:29 AM)
I wonder what our response will be. A rocket attack upon an embassy is technically an attack upon the U.S. and thus an act of war, but this appears to have been the work of a mob, as opposed to the Libyan government or army, and Libya is profusely apologizing and saying all the right things. I would hope arresting and turning over the responsible parties to the U.S. would be the goal here and that we take control of that, but no doubt this thing will become an election year political football.

Well they are sort of victim-blaming, saying that the US should have gotten its people out of there after the events in Cairo etc., but they are condemning the attacks and, of course, blaming them on Qaddafi supporters.

This is crazy. Have any of you read the book "In the Garden of Beasts?" Detailing the life of the ambassador to Germany and his family with him before and during the beginning of the third reich? Even Hitler knew better than to actually do anything to the embassy, he just did everything bad AROUND it. Im almost certain if the ambassador would of been harmed in any way it would definitely have been an act of war.

QUOTE (mr_genius @ Sep 12, 2012 -> 01:35 PM)
Clueless Obama already apologized to the murderers. Apparently some random YouTube video made them go berserk. He said YouTube needs to be censored, as to not offend Muslims. He then bowed and apologizd again.

Just in case anyone is reading this thinking t's true, ithe only word in it that is true is "Murderers".

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 12, 2012 -> 10:01 AM)
1979...Iran I'm guessing?

Sorry, busy day. The last time an American ambassador was murdered was in 1979, when the envoy to Afghanistan, Adolph Dubs, was kidnapped and killed during an attempt to rescue him, according to State Department records.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 12, 2012 -> 10:53 AM)
The pastor with the moustache in Florida who did the Quran burning mess a year or two ago.

Apparetly this post of mine earlier is incorrect, that pastor had nothing to do with the video despite early reports to the contrary and it's basically someone under a pseudonym who no one really knows, who produced the original youtube videos.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 12, 2012 -> 02:57 PM)
Just in case anyone is reading this thinking t's true, ithe only word in it that is true is "Murderers".

This

This so-called "apology" was issued BEFORE the attacks in an attempt to quell the mob but hey, let's not let facts get in the way!

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 12, 2012 -> 02:57 PM)

oh so some random youtube video didn't cause them to rage and murder. yes a YOUTUBE VIDEO. Obama did apologize.

Edited by mr_genius

A Fleet Antiterrorism Security Team or FAST is headed to Libya right now, they can consist of 50-200 Marines. I wonder what their Rules of Engagement are, if the mob is still P'O'ed they could be inclined to do something stupid like take a pop shot at one of the Marines and all hell would then break loose.

QUOTE (mr_genius @ Sep 12, 2012 -> 06:23 PM)
he apologized right when the rage began. frankly, he looks like an idiot for apologizing about a youtube video.

The President did not issue a statement last night. His first statement on the matter happened this morning. Here is the text of his remarks and Secretary Clinton's remarks. Please point me to the apology.

I strongly condemn the outrageous attack on our diplomatic facility in Benghazi, which took the lives of four Americans, including Ambassador Chris Stevens. Right now, the American people have the families of those we lost in our thoughts and prayers. They exemplified America's commitment to freedom, justice, and partnership with nations and people around the globe, and stand in stark contrast to those who callously took their lives.

I have directed my Administration to provide all necessary resources to support the security of our personnel in Libya, and to increase security at our diplomatic posts around the globe. While the United States rejects efforts to denigrate the religious beliefs of others, we must all unequivocally oppose the kind of senseless violence that took the lives of these public servants.

On a personal note, Chris was a courageous and exemplary representative of the United States. Throughout the Libyan revolution, he selflessly served our country and the Libyan people at our mission in Benghazi. As Ambassador in Tripoli, he has supported Libya's transition to democracy. His legacy will endure wherever human beings reach for liberty and justice. I am profoundly grateful for his service to my Administration, and deeply saddened by this loss.

The brave Americans we lost represent the extraordinary service and sacrifices that our civilians make every day around the globe. As we stand united with their families, let us now redouble our own efforts to carry their work forward.

---

CLINTON:

It is with profound sadness that I share the news of the death of four American personnel in Benghazi, Libya, yesterday. Among them were United States Ambassador to Libya Chris Stevens and Foreign Service Information Management Officer Sean Smith. We are still making next of kin notifications for the other two individuals. Our hearts go out to all their families and colleagues.

A 21-year veteran of the Foreign Service, Ambassador Stevens died last night from injuries he sustained in the attack on our office in Benghazi.

I had the privilege of swearing in Chris for his post in Libya only a few months ago. He spoke eloquently about his passion for service, for diplomacy and for the Libyan people. This assignment was only the latest in his more than two decades of dedication to advancing closer ties with the people of the Middle East and North Africa, which began as a Peace Corps Volunteer in Morocco. As the conflict in Libya unfolded, Chris was one of the first Americans on the ground in Benghazi. He risked his own life to lend the Libyan people a helping hand to build the foundation for a new, free nation. He spent every day since helping to finish the work that he started. Chris was committed to advancing America's values and interests, even when that meant putting himself in danger.

Sean Smith was a husband and a father of two, who joined the Department ten years ago. Like Chris, Sean was one of our best. Prior to arriving in Benghazi, he served in Baghdad, Pretoria, Montreal and most recently The Hague.

All the Americans we lost in yesterday's attacks made the ultimate sacrifice. We condemn this vicious and violent attack that took their lives, which they had committed to helping the Libyan people reach for a better future.

America's diplomats and development experts stand on the front lines every day for our country. We are honored by the service of each and every one of them.

Obama ordered the US embassy to apologize for a youtube video that hurt Muslims feelings.

http://egypt.usembassy.gov/pr091112.html

"The Embassy of the United States in Cairo condemns the continuing efforts by misguided individuals to hurt the religious feelings of Muslims"

Edited by mr_genius

QUOTE (mr_genius @ Sep 12, 2012 -> 06:42 PM)
Obama ordered the US embassy to apologize for a youtube video that hurt Muslims feelings.

First of all, here's the actual statement that the embassy in Cairo sent out last night before the killings in Libya happened.

The Embassy of the United States in Cairo condemns the continuing efforts by misguided individuals to hurt the religious feelings of Muslims – as we condemn efforts to offend believers of all religions. Today, the 11th anniversary of the September 11, 2001 terrorist attacks on the United States, Americans are honoring our patriots and those who serve our nation as the fitting response to the enemies of democracy. Respect for religious beliefs is a cornerstone of American democracy. We firmly reject the actions by those who abuse the universal right of free speech to hurt the religious beliefs of others
Calling that an apology might seem silly to....anyone.

Secondly, do you really think that even the secretary of state approves every communique sent out from every embassy in the world, let alone the President?

QUOTE (mr_genius @ Sep 12, 2012 -> 05:42 PM)

"The Embassy of the United States in Cairo condemns the continuing efforts by misguided individuals to hurt the religious feelings of Muslims"

Full quote:

The Embassy of the United States in Cairo condemns the continuing efforts by misguided individuals to hurt the religious feelings of Muslims – as we condemn efforts to offend believers of all religions. Today, the 11th anniversary of the September 11, 2001 terrorist attacks on the United States, Americans are honoring our patriots and those who serve our nation as the fitting response to the enemies of democracy. Respect for religious beliefs is a cornerstone of American democracy. We firmly reject the actions by those who abuse the universal right of free speech to hurt the religious beliefs of others

Not seeing the outrage.

balta, i read the whole apology. the worst part is where they rejected free speech. Obama needs to educate himself on why the first amendment is important.

but i'm willing to compromise. I will not bring up this disgraceful action from Obama again if you change that stupid Tebow avatar. I was reading soxtalk on my laptop during lunch and someone was like "haha what website are you reading? why is there a picture of a naked guy."

Your Tebow avatar is ruining soxtalk.

Edited by mr_genius

QUOTE (mr_genius @ Sep 12, 2012 -> 05:42 PM)

That statement wasn't ok'd by Washington, where do you get this "the President ordered the Egyptian Embassy to issue an apology"?

Romney put his foot in his mouth trying to score political points, the White House never issued an apology, it was a statement issued by the US Embassy in Egypt. And it wasn't an apology.

Edited by MexSoxFan#1

QUOTE (mr_genius @ Sep 12, 2012 -> 06:42 PM)

lol

You think the administration vets all communications sent by the State Department.