AFL and Instructional League thread

NorthSideSox72

Let's have a seperate thread for AFL discussions (and the AZ instructional league, aka mini-AFL).

Sox players tenatively set for AFL:

OF Trayce Thompson

IF Carlos Sanchez

IF Andy Wilkins

P Andre Rienzo

P Santos Rodriguez

P Salvador Sanchez

P Taylor Thompson

The Sox also have 53 guys going to the instructional league. Gonzo says these guys are among them:

Pitchers - Chris Bassitt, Eric Jaffe, Erik Johnson, Jefferson Olacio, Jeff Soptic, Kevin Vance.

Catchers - Sammy Ayala, Kevan Smith.

Infielders - Keon Barnum, Nick Basto, Joey DeMichele, Micah Johnson, Marcus Semien.

Outfielders - Mark Haddow, Courtney Hawkins.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (danman31 @ Sep 18, 2012 -> 01:23 PM)
Interesting mix heading to Instructional.

This AFL group seems to be more intriguing prospect wise than I can remember the last few years. Wilkins is the only guy coming off a disappointing season.

Some of the AFL guys fall into the on-the-fence category, in my view. Guys who are on the edge of the prospect radar, and the Sox want to see what they have in them. Wilkins, Rodriguez and Taylor Thompson fit in there for me. Salvador Sanchez too, but he's that unusual converted-pitcher scenario (a la Sergio Santos), so it is a little different. Trayce Thompson, Carlos Sanchez and Andre Rienzo fit more squarely into the solid prospect department.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Sep 18, 2012 -> 03:21 PM)
Some of the AFL guys fall into the on-the-fence category, in my view. Guys who are on the edge of the prospect radar, and the Sox want to see what they have in them. Wilkins, Rodriguez and Taylor Thompson fit in there for me. Salvador Sanchez too, but he's that unusual converted-pitcher scenario (a la Sergio Santos), so it is a little different. Trayce Thompson, Carlos Sanchez and Andre Rienzo fit more squarely into the solid prospect department.

Safe to say that sanchez is pitching for a roster spot? (he's out of options right?)

QUOTE (Springfield SoxFan @ Sep 18, 2012 -> 04:53 PM)
What is there to know about Taylor Thompson? Have never followed him at all.

Well, he's 25 years old and just repeated A+. The Sox drafted him in the 25th round in 2008 (at age 21), he didn't sign, and the Sox drafted him again in 2009 (at age 22), this time in the 44th round. He's a reliever, been a closer most of his time through the system. Was very effective (but a bit wild) in Bristol at age 22, then even better at age 23 in Kanny. Pretty good season last year in W-S, but he was 24 then, and then this year he repeated High A W-S, and has improved his control and his K rate.

As for non-stat info... he's tall (6'5"), and he missed some time in 2010 due to an injury. Also had a DL stint this year, a brief one, for a triceps strain. He was highly considered out of high school but went on to college anyway (Auburn, pitched 3 years). Can (or could previously) throw mid-90's, but more often sits low-mid 90's. Has a curve and a change-up.

Honestly, I am not sure why the guy is headed to the AFL. He certainly put up a very nice year, but that was at age 25 while repeating A+. My only guess is, they saw something "click" that made his stats improve that much this year, beyond just maturity and experience. Hard to say what that thing was. We'll see how he does against much tougher talent now though.

• 2 weeks later...
QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Sep 18, 2012 -> 10:24 AM)
Let's have a seperate thread for AFL discussions (and the AZ instructional league, aka mini-AFL).

OF Trayce Thompson
IF Carlos Sanchez
IF Andy Wilkins
P Andre Rienzo
P Santos Rodriguez
P Salvador Sanchez
P Taylor Thompson

The Sox also have 53 guys going to the instructional league. Gonzo says these guys are among them:

Pitchers - Chris Bassitt, Eric Jaffe, Erik Johnson, Jefferson Olacio, Jeff Soptic, Kevin Vance.
Infielders - Keon Barnum, Nick Basto, Joey DeMichele, Micah Johnson, Marcus Semien.

Anybody has the Full 53 player Roster of the Instructural League of the White Sox available.

QUOTE (Jim Busby @ Oct 5, 2012 -> 11:46 AM)

Anybody has the Full 53 player Roster of the Instructural League of the White Sox available.

I asked Gonzo, didn't get a response. Just got that list from him that you see there.

I know you can add Eric Grabe to it. Other than that, I don't know.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Oct 5, 2012 -> 12:36 PM)
I asked Gonzo, didn't get a response. Just got that list from him that you see there.

I know you can add Eric Grabe to it. Other than that, I don't know.

Other Teams like the Cubs, Royals, Rangers announced their Instructural League Rosters. The Chiacgo White Sox keep eveything hiden from their great Fans. You wonder why they get poor coverage from the newspapers which causes poor attendance. From a loyal FAN.

QUOTE (Jim Busby @ Oct 7, 2012 -> 07:08 PM)
Other Teams like the Cubs, Royals, Rangers announced their Instructural League Rosters. The Chiacgo White Sox keep eveything hiden from their great Fans. You wonder why they get poor coverage from the newspapers which causes poor attendance. From a loyal FAN.

My Son is on the way home Friday from Instructs. So whatever the rosters were they are on the way home. I know that there were a fair number of players there from Bristol.

The AFL players have arrived. Hope that my son is in that bunch this time next year.

Terance Marin is also in instructional league, good chance he will be playing fall ball till late November.

Will find out this week.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Sep 18, 2012 -> 10:24 AM)

OF Trayce Thompson

IF Carlos Sanchez

IF Andy Wilkins

P Andre Rienzo

P Santos Rodriguez

P Salvador Sanchez

P Taylor Thompson

Thompson one of the players to watch for the AFL

http://www.minorleagueball.com/2012/10/9/3...-watch-part-two

Trayce Thompson, OF, White Sox: Age 21, hit .253/.328/.482 with 25 homers, 55 walks, 166 strikeouts, 21 steals in 136 games split between three levels, finishing year in Triple-A. Excellent power/speed potential and a fine glove, but has to prove that contact issues won't cripple his hitting.

QUOTE (floridafan @ Oct 9, 2012 -> 08:14 PM)
Is there a place to view the nightly stats and outcome of the games?

Live gameday for tonight and every other game. Also check the AFL's homepage for schedule/stats/info.

I don't know about instructional league, however. I think you're on your own for that one.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Oct 9, 2012 -> 07:45 PM)
Live gameday for tonight and every other game. Also check the AFL's homepage for schedule/stats/info.

I don't know about instructional league, however. I think you're on your own for that one.

I get the updates on the instructionals from my son! He hit a double and lined out to deep RF. And he is on his way anyway, lol!

Thank you for the AFL link though, I am following it now!