41 members have voted

1. 1. Who should win the AL MVP?

• Mike Trout
    • Miguel Cabrera

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (CrimsonWeltall @ Nov 16, 2012 -> 11:29 AM)
That doesn't mean it should be. Why should Cabrera be rewarded for playing in the weakest division in baseball?

Or ... Why should Cabrera be reward for playing for the team that won the pennant.

QUOTE (Iwritecode @ Nov 16, 2012 -> 10:38 AM)
To me MVP = best player no matter what team they are on or how they finished in the standings.

If Trout was on a last place team and put up the same numbers he would still be the best player in the league.

That's the issue with baseball's MVP as opposed to the other major sports. One player can only have so much effect on a team's success. If Cabrera has a similar year for the Astros, they still would be lucky to sniff 70 wins. Put LeBron on the Pistons, that would make them at least a playoff team.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 15, 2012 -> 06:56 PM)
That is right about where the Tigers would have finished too. Looking at the standings I didn't realize 3rd place fell off that far, but the point remains that the Tigers don't win s*** without Miguel

Look how both players fared the last two months. Cabrera hands down. I also think most writers shy away from voting a rookie as MVP.

The standards for MVP voting. I did not know games played was actually a standard.

1. Actual value of a player to his team, that is, strength of offense and defense.

2. Number of games played.

3. General character, disposition, loyalty and effort.

4. Former winners are eligible.

5. Members of the committee may vote for more than one member of a team.”

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 16, 2012 -> 01:08 PM)
The standards for MVP voting. I did not know games played was actually a standard.

Just looking at #1 alone Trout should have won.

I think the voters were wowed by the Triple Crown and ignored the fact that the Tigers would have actually won more games with somebody else playing third base on defense only.

Kind of like a designated 3rd baseman. Cabrera would still get to hit.

QUOTE (Iwritecode @ Nov 16, 2012 -> 01:51 PM)
Just looking at #1 alone Trout should have won.

I think the voters were wowed by the Triple Crown and ignored the fact that the Tigers would have actually won more games with somebody else playing third base on defense only.

Kind of like a designated 3rd baseman. Cabrera would still get to hit.

Except Trout missed the first month of the season or so.

QUOTE (CrimsonWeltall @ Nov 16, 2012 -> 03:30 PM)
Does that mean we get to include his .265 batting average in the playoffs, including going 3-13 (.230) in the World Series?

Just for the sake of getting out of this discussion that doesn't make a damn bit of difference one way or the other, I yeild. You guys win. Carry on.

QUOTE (Iwritecode @ Nov 16, 2012 -> 03:45 PM)
Exactly. His numbers could have been even better had he been called up sooner. Plus the Angels might have made the playoffs.

Except when you look at what to consider, it works the opposite of that in the voting guidelines. You don't get to fill in the blanks, in fact the opposite, because it is supposed to hurt you.

QUOTE (knightni @ Nov 16, 2012 -> 10:50 PM)
Terry Pendleton over Barry Bonds and Howard Johnson in '91 disproves that MVP is entirely stats driven.

Unless you're a monster like A-Rod.

The problem is that the award has always been driven by the wrong stats. Nobody is asking these writers to vote based on WAR, that's boring. All we're asking is that these writers look at stats that tell you a bit more about the player himself. Not his RBI, not the amount of runs he scored, and definitely not how many games his team won.

Dave Cameron put this in perspective the other day. The uproar over this decision has little to do with WAR. It has nothing to do with stats vs. scouts. It has everything to do with how the writers value runs batted in and the playoff status of a player's team. If you can't even get passed the fact that RBI isn't a good determining factor in the offensive value of a player and that a player has almost no control over how the rest of his team plays, then there's a long ways to go.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 16, 2012 -> 01:08 PM)

Hamilton won two years back even though he played something like 130 games.

In this case, the fact that Trout missed a month is actually a strength in the argument for Trout.

Trout was so good that if he did play for a full season, you could easily assume that he hits 35-40 home runs and maybe steals 60-65 bases. Plus, the Trout actually out-WAR'd Cabrera or any other AL player by at least 3 wins...despite playing in 20 less games. That speaks volumes to how good he really was.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Nov 17, 2012 -> 01:41 AM)
Hamilton won two years back even though he played something like 130 games.

In this case, the fact that Trout missed a month is actually a strength in the argument for Trout.

Trout was so good that if he did play for a full season, you could easily assume that he hits 35-40 home runs and maybe steals 60-65 bases. Plus, the Trout actually out-WAR'd Cabrera or any other AL player by at least 3 wins...despite playing in 20 less games. That speaks volumes to how good he really was.

And considering that the Angels went 6-14 before he got there, you could assume they may have made the playoffs had played the whole year.