2012-2013 MLB off season tracker thread

southsider2k5

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Swingandalongonetoleft @ Dec 17, 2012 -> 12:35 PM)
I think it was a great move by NYM to trade him.

I can't disagree with you. The Mets got two very good prospects. Given the state of their team and the landscape of the AL East, trading Dickey made sense.

The Jays are in the opposite situation, and going "all-in" to try and stop their postseason drought from reaching 20 years. Their rotation needed another reliable starter and they got the best one available.

So, I'm definitely going to be interested to see how Dickey plays now that he's in the AL East and whether or not he's a creation of the NL.

But, if he gives a similar performance to last year, the money he's being paid now will be a bargain. That's a division winning move if he can repeat that season or close to it.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 18, 2012 -> 09:11 AM)
So, I'm definitely going to be interested to see how Dickey plays now that he's in the AL East and whether or not he's a creation of the NL.

We only have a 71-inning sample, but in the last three years against the AL, Dickey is 7-0 with an ERA under 2.00. So there's at least not a minor red flag. He may benefit his first season simply from most players never facing his knuckleball before.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Dec 18, 2012 -> 01:27 PM)
RT @twithersAP Progressive Field lights are on and Nick Swisher's face is on scoreboard as team tries to land FA

It sounds like a move to sway a high school recruit, not a professional athlete, but then again, such pandering seems to fight Swisher's personality to a T.

lol

paul hoynes ‏@hoynsie

Jim Tressel went to lunch with Nick Swisher to help recruit him for #Indians

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 18, 2012 -> 05:26 PM)
Swisher went to Ohio State, so it makes some sense. He also had messages from Matta and Meyer, so it's probably not as pathetic as when Jerry Krause greeted free agents at O'Hare with Benny the Bull, the Lovabulls and a hug.

I suppose, I had forgotten that Swisher went to Ohio State. Still, it seems so juvenile.

Maybe they can get the football team out and he can sell his World Series rings for more tattoos..?

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 18, 2012 -> 01:51 PM)
MLB ‏@MLB

OFFICIAL: @Phillies, LHP John Lannan agree to 1-year, $2.5 million contract that includes performance bonuses.

That could be a real steal. Lannan has never really gotten a shot like he deserves.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 18, 2012 -> 05:26 PM)
Swisher went to Ohio State, so it makes some sense. He also had messages from Matta and Meyer, so it's probably not as pathetic as when Jerry Krause greeted free agents at O'Hare with Benny the Bull, the Lovabulls and a hug.

Well that explains a lot.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/feeling-numbn...51013--mlb.html

''I think it's important for me to grieve leaving New York,'' he said Tuesday. ''I had a proverbial home there. I had a home among fans. I had a home in an organization. I had a lot of success there, and I think it's important for me to be sad about that for a moment before I move on to the next feeling.''

RA Dickey really is one of my favorite players in the MLB, and he's an incredibly interesting person.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Dec 18, 2012 -> 05:32 PM)
I suppose, I had forgotten that Swisher went to Ohio State. Still, it seems so juvenile.

Maybe they can get the football team out and he can sell his World Series rings for more tattoos..?

It is soooo Swisher.