Hurricane Sandy thread

southsider2k5

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Swingandalongonetoleft @ Oct 30, 2012 -> 12:59 PM)
Seaside Heights was bound to get the wrath of God for a few years now, so at least in this particular instance it isn't as surprising.

Are you saying that this is God's payback for the Jersey Shore TV show?

This wouldnever fly politically, but I'd love to see it... if you are in an area ordered to evacuate from a natural disaster by proper government authorities... and if you had time to do so (say, at least 24 hours)... and you are not PHYSICALLY DISABLED from doing so... and you stay anyway... the full cost of any rescue operations or other assistance brought to you, YOU have to pay for. And that will be administered as a debt to government, like tax liability, which immediately rises to the top of all held debts.

You want to be stupid? Fine. You pay for your stupidity.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Oct 30, 2012 -> 07:52 PM)
This wouldnever fly politically, but I'd love to see it... if you are in an area ordered to evacuate from a natural disaster by proper government authorities... and if you had time to do so (say, at least 24 hours)... and you are not PHYSICALLY DISABLED from doing so... and you stay anyway... the full cost of any rescue operations or other assistance brought to you, YOU have to pay for. And that will be administered as a debt to government, like tax liability, which immediately rises to the top of all held debts.

Great, plus provide transportation and a shelter for all of those in the city to get out.

QUOTE (bmags @ Oct 30, 2012 -> 02:56 PM)
Great, plus provide transportation and a shelter for all of those in the city to get out.

that would be nice.. If a natural disaster were to hit chicago, i dont really know where id evacuate to personally even with 24 hours notice.. Drive the family truckster as far south/west/north/east as possible and sleep at a motel 6 till its over? Maybe granma and grandpa could fly me into Miami last minute for $800 a ticket.

QUOTE (flippedoutpunk @ Oct 30, 2012 -> 08:00 PM)
that would be nice.. If a natural disaster were to hit chicago, i dont really know where id evacuate to personally even with 24 hours notice.. Drive the family truckster as far south/west/north/east as possible and sleep at a motel 6 till its over? Maybe granma and grandpa could fly me into Miami last minute for $800 a ticket.

And you have a truck.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Oct 30, 2012 -> 02:52 PM)

Agreed. It's hard to feel sorry for people that had the chance to leave, but instead said "f*** this, no storm is going to move me out of my house, I'm a tough guy."

QUOTE (bmags @ Oct 30, 2012 -> 01:56 PM)
State and local can't borrow money like the Fed can. Do we really want recoveries which should be a year or two to last decades? Having entire parts of the country unproductive due to catastrophe would eventually start to impact the economy and your pocket book.

And beside that, there are few parts of the country immune from catastrophe. New York isn't as an area that commonly gets hugely affected by these things.

This argument can be extended for ANY governmental spending. Local communities can't pay for schools. MAKE THE FEDS PAY! Local communities can't pay for their police force. MAKE THE FEDS PAY. And on and on.

I get it, FEMA serves a purpose, but they should be the secondary guarantor, not the primary. Maybe if states were responsible for this they'd be better at saving and not wasting!

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Oct 30, 2012 -> 03:30 PM)
This argument can be extended for ANY governmental spending. Local communities can't pay for schools. MAKE THE FEDS PAY! Local communities can't pay for their police force. MAKE THE FEDS PAY. And on and on.

I get it, FEMA serves a purpose, but they should be the secondary guarantor, not the primary. Maybe if states were responsible for this they'd be better at saving and not wasting!

ridiculous in so many ways. wait till it happens to you and your attitude will change.

QUOTE (Reddy @ Oct 30, 2012 -> 04:42 PM)
ridiculous in so many ways. wait till it happens to you and your attitude will change.

Parts of my family go through this s*** every 5-6 years living within a few miles of the Mississippi. I see no good reason why this can't be handled on a state/local level. These are hundred year storms we're talking about. Save a little here and there and over 100 years you'd have plenty of money to pay for everything that needs to be handled.

Edited by Jenksismybitch

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Oct 30, 2012 -> 04:06 PM)
Parts of my family go through this s*** every 5-6 years living within a few miles of the Mississippi. I see no good reason why this can't be handled on a state/local level. These are hundred year storms we're talking about. Save a little here and there and over 100 years you'd have plenty of money to pay for everything that needs to be handled.

they're not 100 year storms anymore. they're happening every year. we're in a period of climate activity where storms like this - along with other extreme weather - are going to be the norm for the next 20+ years.

Most states run a negative budget with the fed every year. But for a few states like California, Illinois and New York, they wouldnt even be able to afford their regular spending, let alone pay for a disaster.

I like that you care about state accountability, but the problem is that most states have none. Perhaps you shouldnt get any federal money if you are running a deficit with the fed.

That would be nice for me :)

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Oct 30, 2012 -> 05:06 PM)

I see no good reason that it should be handled at a state/local level primarily. Planning 100 year budgets is absurd and useless if you get a run of bad years.