2012-2013 Sox off season Catch-All thread

southsider2k5

QUOTE (2nd_city_saint787 @ Nov 17, 2012 -> 12:29 AM)
ESPN insider has Eric Chavez, Jeff Keppinger, Freddy Sanchez, and Kelly Johnson tagged as possibilities for 3B. I'm not an insider so I don't know what was said about them.

Johnsons basically a LH Gordon Beckham. Wouldn't be the worst option though.

Freddy Sanchez hasn't stayed healthy in 5 years.

Keppinger is somewhat intriguing but I'd prefer a LHer

I think Chavez is the best option of the bunch on a 1 year deal. He's gotta be paired with someone who can hit LH pitching though. I'm too tired to look up a good match in a platoon.

Summary:

Scott Rolen, Eric Chavez, Mark DeRosa and Placido Polanco are options. Sox could look outside the box and consider a second baseman such as Marco Scutaro, Kelly Johnson or Freddy Sanchez and use Gordon Beckham at third, or check in on Jeff Keppinger.

• Replies 662
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (2nd_city_saint787 @ Nov 17, 2012 -> 12:29 AM)
ESPN insider has Eric Chavez, Jeff Keppinger, Freddy Sanchez, and Kelly Johnson tagged as possibilities for 3B. I'm not an insider so I don't know what was said about them.

Johnsons basically a LH Gordon Beckham. Wouldn't be the worst option though.

Freddy Sanchez hasn't stayed healthy in 5 years.

Keppinger is somewhat intriguing but I'd prefer a LHer

I think Chavez is the best option of the bunch on a 1 year deal. He's gotta be paired with someone who can hit LH pitching though. I'm too tired to look up a good match in a platoon.

Didn't have to look any further than the guy right above Chavez.

A Chavez/Keppinger platoon would be nice if you have to go through free agency.

Keppinger vs. LHP had a .923 OPS in 117 ABs

Chavez vs. RHP had a .903 OPS in 245 ABs

Sounds like the perfect match....Combined they'd prob make about as much as Youkilis right?

Adding Keppinger also gives you a pretty good bat that can play anywhere should someone get hurt.

QUOTE (2nd_city_saint787 @ Nov 17, 2012 -> 08:50 AM)
Didn't have to look any further than the guy right above Chavez.

A Chavez/Keppinger platoon would be nice if you have to go through free agency.

Keppinger vs. LHP had a .923 OPS in 117 ABs

Chavez vs. RHP had a .903 OPS in 245 ABs

Sounds like the perfect match....Combined they'd prob make about as much as Youkilis right?

Adding Keppinger also gives you a pretty good bat that can play anywhere should someone get hurt.

I texted Rongey during White Sox weekly and asked him about this possibility. Chris asked Merkin about it. Merk kind of said that Keppinger was a possibility and then started talking about Carlos Sanchez because he thought that's what Chris asked. No mention of Chavez. I think Merkin misheard the question.

I got screwed out of winning a Charlotte Knights Dayan Viciedo bobblehead on Twitter because the rules weren't stated clearly even though they claimed they were.

This was the tweet...

@KnightsBaseball: Want to win a Dayan Viciedo bobblehead? Go to the #CLTKnights #Instagram & click on the 1st photo to find the question: http://t.co/CnoL4mWr

This was what was on Instagram...

Name this former #CLTKnights manager. At 5 PM today we will select one fan with the correct answer to win a #CLTKnights Dayan Viciedo bobblehead.

Now tell me where it says the guess has to be posted on Instagram only and not on Twitter?

Edited by JPN366

QUOTE (JPN366 @ Nov 17, 2012 -> 02:12 PM)
I got screwed out of winning a Charlotte Knights Dayan Viciedo bobblehead on Twitter because the rules weren't stated clearly even though they claimed they were.

This was the tweet...

@KnightsBaseball: Want to win a Dayan Viciedo bobblehead? Go to the #CLTKnights #Instagram & click on the 1st photo to find the question: http://t.co/CnoL4mWr

This was what was on Instagram...

Name this former #CLTKnights manager. At 5 PM today we will select one fan with the correct answer to win a #CLTKnights Dayan Viciedo bobblehead.

Now tell me where it says the guess has to be posted on Instagram only and not on Twitter?

Were you the only one who submitted an answer? Otherwise I only think you were "potentially" screwed out of it.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Nov 17, 2012 -> 01:21 PM)
Were you the only one who submitted an answer? Otherwise I only think you were "potentially" screwed out of it.

Yep, Fredi Gonzalez still looks the same today as he did 15+ years ago. Only other answer was after the 5 ET deadline. Nobody won the bobblehead.

Edited by JPN366

I would surprised if the Yankees don't re-sign Chavez. Keppinger can definitely hit but he's horrible defensively all over the field. Johnson would be really intriguing because he's left-handed, and could conceivably platoon with Morel to get Brent some at-bats about a quarter of the time.

Overall, Chavez would be the best "scrap heap" option if he can be had.

Kelly Johnson is a guy I would like to see. Not sure if he can play 3rd well, but watching him with the Dbacks, he is a great add to the lineup. He can lead off or bat 9th. Hits from the left side. Streaky as hell, but can carry the lineup when hot. Platooning him with a righty like Morel/FA/? could work, he is an injury risk. But if he gets 400 abs, he can hit .290/15/50 with half his games at USC. Not ideal 3b numbers, but we have the pitching to keep us in contention and theres always the trade deadline to get an impact bat.

QUOTE (2nd_city_saint787 @ Nov 18, 2012 -> 04:27 PM)
http://insider.espn.go.com/mlb/features/rumors/_/type/2/id/4

Can't link it directly but its the 3rd(last) one on there

Absolutely nothing of interest. Not even names mentioned....

"If a major-league ready left-side infielder is not necessary, however, perhaps clubs such as the Orioles, Red Sox, Phillies or White Sox could be a legitimate match."

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 19, 2012 -> 09:55 AM)

Lot of interesting stuff there, most notably to me, Sale w/ more pickoffs than Buehrle, and the A's being LAST in manufactured runs (% not noted though, which is more relevant).

QUOTE (staxx @ Nov 21, 2012 -> 09:39 AM)
I'd assume there will be many teams open to Figgins at minimum wage due to his versatility.

Anything guaranteed to him is too much, even at the minimum. Denny Hocking could play a bunch of different positions but that didn't make him a good ballplayer.

Over the last two seasons, accumulating 507 PAs, Chone Figgins has put up an OPS of .502. He's put up a WAR of -2.1 and is 15 of 22 in stolen bases.

I'm sure he'll be better, but he can be someone else's headache.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Nov 21, 2012 -> 09:51 AM)
Anything guaranteed to him is too much, even at the minimum. Denny Hocking could play a bunch of different positions but that didn't make him a good ballplayer.

Over the last two seasons, accumulating 507 PAs, Chone Figgins has put up an OPS of .502. He's put up a WAR of -2.1 and is 15 of 22 in stolen bases.

I'm sure he'll be better, but he can be someone else's headache.

I get the feeling that once he gets out of Safeco, he will be back to decent again.