2012-2013 Sox off season Catch-All thread

southsider2k5

• Replies 662
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK, since nothing is happening to talk about, I'm going to throw out an idea for discussion. Indians just designated Russ Canzler for assignment. Why not pick him up? He can play a little 3B, a little 1B, and a little LF/RF (not sure how well at any of those positions). He has some decent minor league stats, and not terrible, but not great major league stats (he hits well at the Cell, though). Could be a nice bench player. Thoughts?

QUOTE (PorkChopExpress @ Dec 18, 2012 -> 04:58 PM)
OK, since nothing is happening to talk about, I'm going to throw out an idea for discussion. Indians just designated Russ Canzler for assignment. Why not pick him up? He can play a little 3B, a little 1B, and a little LF/RF (not sure how well at any of those positions). He has some decent minor league stats, and not terrible, but not great major league stats (he hits well at the Cell, though). Could be a nice bench player. Thoughts?

Worth a shot.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 18, 2012 -> 05:07 PM)
I agree. Hits in the minors, hasn't hit great in the bigs but is extra slightly-below-replacement-player depth. Worst case scenario you give a bat to Charlotte.

Russ Canzler kicked our ass during that last home series against Cleveland.

Edited by chw42

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 18, 2012 -> 06:07 PM)
I agree. Hits in the minors, hasn't hit great in the bigs but is extra slightly-below-replacement-player depth. Worst case scenario you give a bat to Charlotte.

I honestly don't think he's going to have to do a deal where he might wind up in Charlotte. I think other teams will be willing to give him a shot at the major league level. I just want the Sox to be one of those teams. I just have a feeling he will be a decent player, and I want the Sox to have him if that turns out to be true.

I would love to shake things up on this team, and I know I'm talking crazy here, especially since I have no idea what kind of 3B Canzler is (probably bad since he is listed as a 1B and that is usually where bad 3B wind up), but what about dealing Alexei, shifting Beckham to SS, Keppinger to 2B and Canzler at 3B? We should be able to get a decent return for Ramirez, SS is Beckham's college position and I think he would welcome the chance to play there, Keppinger just makes more sense to me as a 2B, and Canzler is the wild card.

Like I said, I know it is crazy, but I'm just thinking outside of the box. I am just so desperate for SOMETHING to happen with this team. I am not comfortable with the Sox as they stand right now. I don't feel like much has changed over the past couple of years playerwise, and I see the same results with the same group of players each year, and wonder if it's just me or if anyone else sees a problem there. It's like the saying that the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over but expecting different results. It's not totally applicable to baseball where players can have good and bad years, but I feel like there is a personality to this team that is defined by its players and that personality is not the personality of a winner. It is content to merely contend. I just want change I guess.

Eh, what do I know?

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 19, 2012 -> 10:57 AM)
Phil Rogers ‏@ChiTribRogers

Potential trading partners for White Sox: Dodgers looking for LH relievers (Matt Thornton); Angels for innings-eating SP (Gavin Floyd).

Interesting...Mark Trumbo please :)

More likely that they are dangling Bourjo's.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 19, 2012 -> 11:25 AM)
Over in the Diamond Club, the main name noted as being dangled is Morales.

I heard Scioscia interviewed yesterday. He seemed to indicate one of his outfielders would be gone. Was excited about Morales having a full, healthy off-season. Not that it means anything. He also was mentioning how Trumbo played the 2nd half with an injury (and that was what hurt his production). I love Trumbo. But in no way would the Angels trade Trumbo straight up for Floyd.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Dec 19, 2012 -> 01:27 PM)
I heard Scioscia interviewed yesterday. He seemed to indicate one of his outfielders would be gone. Was excited about Morales having a full, healthy off-season. Not that it means anything. He also was mentioning how Trumbo played the 2nd half with an injury (and that was what hurt his production). I love Trumbo. But in no way would the Angels trade Trumbo straight up for Floyd.

The thing with Trumbo is that the Sox have no real need for him. He's an awful defender everywhere except 1B.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 19, 2012 -> 03:25 PM)
Over in the Diamond Club, the main name noted as being dangled is Morales.

he's listed on B-R as a 1B/RF. If he can truly play RF he'd be a match. Someone mentioned a week or 2 ago the Sox were after an often injured player who slugs when he's healthy...This could be the guy.

Edited by 2nd_city_saint787

QUOTE (2nd_city_saint787 @ Dec 19, 2012 -> 03:13 PM)
he's listed on B-R as a 1B/RF. If he can truly play RF he'd be a match. Someone mentioned a week or 2 ago the Sox were after an often injured player who slugs when he's healthy...This could be the guy.

There's no way I'd want any part of Morales in RF. He's closer to a DH than a 1b after that injury

QUOTE (2nd_city_saint787 @ Dec 19, 2012 -> 02:26 PM)
Ya, I looked further into it and he hasn't played the OF in 4 years. No thanks.

There's no way the Sox are dangling PK out there right?

Probably not in the sense that they're looking to move him, but I could guess the 3 main guys who they won't trade right now are Sale, Peavy, and Keppinger, and two of those are because they have contracts hot off the press.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Dec 19, 2012 -> 04:29 PM)
Probably not in the sense that they're looking to move him, but I could guess the 3 main guys who they won't trade right now are Sale, Peavy, and Keppinger, and two of those are because they have contracts hot off the press.

I doubt they'd trade Alexei either since we don't have even the vaguest notion of a replacement for him. But your point stands.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Dec 19, 2012 -> 05:01 PM)
Looks like Morales just went to Seattle for Vargas. Bad news -- one more Floyd suitor off the market.

I am aware of Morales' numbers last year, and the fact that Vargas was good on the road in 2011, but this is one of the worst 1-for-1 deals I have seen in a long time

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Dec 19, 2012 -> 05:22 PM)
I am aware of Morales' numbers last year, and the fact that Vargas was good on the road in 2011, but this is one of the worst 1-for-1 deals I have seen in a long time

I can't imagine Seattle wants to play him in the OF. I wonder if this means a slow start for Smoak is a DFA

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Dec 19, 2012 -> 05:01 PM)
Looks like Morales just went to Seattle for Vargas. Bad news -- one more Floyd suitor off the market.

Is it possible that this is the team outside of some minor tinkering on the bottom of the roster? A healthy Floyd does provide 200 IP next season, and is no better than the #3 starter to open the season. It does help make the starting rotation a strength, and, despite last season, is probably the most durable starter on the staff with Sale/Quintana still building his arm, Peavy one year off the surgery, and Danks trying to get back. Even though his long-term future here is probably in doubt, he may be that bridge guy in the middle of the rotation that helps keeps this staff together to some extent.

There is still a long time to go this off-season so perhaps the Sox make a few moves, including Floyd, but if they decided to hang onto him, and make the pitching the strength with the offense full of low OBP guys, and struggling to score with a Home Run, I can understand if they go into the season with him. It's not as if there are a lot of free agents left at this point to pursue by moving Floyd to free up money, and they don't seem interested in bringing AJ back.