Ode to the Steriod Era

zenryan

Just laughing as I read this article. It's amazing how blatant steroids was.

link

Being that it's the day before Thanksgiving, it's bound to be a slow baseball news day. And being as big a baseball dork as I am, one of the things I love to do when it's slow is comb through old numbers on baseball-reference.com and reminisce.

In doing so, every once in a while I stumble upon a gem of a line like this:

.314/.391/.636 with 44 homers, 122 RBI, 118 runs, 42 doubles, 13 stolen bases.

For comparison's sake, Triple Crown winner and AL MVP Miguel Cabrera had the following line this season:

.330/.393/.606 with 44 homers, 139 RBI, 109 runs, 40 doubles, four stolen bases.

So what studly slugger posted a line similar to Miggy's historic 2012? That would be the immortal Richard Hidalgo. And it was good enough to finish -- wait for it -- 20th in NL MVP voting in 2000. Actually, check that. Hidalgo tied for 20th with teammate Moises Alou. Alou, by the way, hit .355(!) with 30 homers and 114 RBI.

I don't think there could be a more perfect illustration for how powerful offense was in the so-called "Steroid Era." It was ridiculous. There were guys routinely finishing outside the top five or top 10 in MVP voting with numbers that would handily win in any other era. So let us take a stroll through some of the video-game numbers.

(Note: Before I go any further, let us clear the air. I don't like the term "Steroid Era," because it implies everyone was using. Some players -- such as Chipper Jones and Todd Helton, to name two -- put up absurd numbers and I believe they were clean. It's entirely possible most of the players I mention here were clean. Plus, many pitchers were juicing. So this isn't a post about PEDs. It's a post about the insane offensive numbers that were being posted at the time. If you accuse me of accusing anyone of anything, you are off base.)

Anyway, off we go -- a look at some utterly offensive numbers (double entendre alert!) and how low the player posting said numbers finished in MVP voting due to the overall absurdity of offense at the time:

• In 1996, Brady Anderson hit .297/.396/.637 with 50 homers, 110 RBI, 117 runs and 21 stolen bases. He finished ninth in AL MVP voting. In the same vote, Jay Buhner had 44 homers and 138 RBI and finished 17th. Chuck Knoblauch hit .341 with a .448 OBP, 140 runs scored, 45 stolen bases, 35 doubles, 14 triples, 13 homers -- and finished 16th.

• Over in the NL in '96, Barry Bonds hit .308/.461/.615 with 42 homers, 129 RBI, 122 runs and 40 stolen bases. Yes, he went 40-40, among other things. He posted a 9.4 WAR, which is historically good. And he finished fifth in NL MVP voting. How about this line: 315/.451/.570 with 31 homers, 120 RBI, 111 runs, 48 doubles and 21 steals. That was Jeff Bagwell. And that was good enough for a ninth-place finish.

• This is lunacy. Put aside your hatred for Alex Rodriguez before reading this, please. A-Rod hit .310/.360/.560 with 42 homers, 124 RBI, 123 runs, 35 doubles, 46 steals and an AL-best 213 hits in 1998. He finished ninth in AL MVP voting. Ninth! Or how about this: Rafael Palmeiro hit .296/.379/.565 with 43 homers and 121 RBI. That was good enough for a tie for 18th place.

• Of course, the NL in 1998 had Sammy Sosa and Mark McGwire shattering Roger Maris' single-season home run record. So we know things were a bit off. And, boy, were they. Try this line from Vladimir Guerrero on for size: .324/.371/.589, 38 homers, 109 RBI, 108 runs, 37 doubles, seven triples and 11 steals. Any guesses as to where he finished in NL MVP voting? Try 13th.

• Here's one of my favorites. How would this line fare in 2012 NL MVP voting: .288/.367/.635, 63 homers, 141 RBI, 114 runs? Did you guess ninth? Yeah, sure you did, but that's actually where Sammy Sosa finished in 1999. Mark McGwire hit 65 homers and drove home 147 runs and only finished fifth. For a more-human-albeit-still-awesome line, Brian Giles hit .315/.418/.614 with 39 homers, 115 RBI, 109 runs and finished 19th.

• Over in the AL in '99, Ken Griffey Jr. (a posterboy for the clean through this stained era) hit .285/.384/.576 with 48 homers, 134 RBI, 123 runs and 24 stolen bases. He finished 10th in MVP voting. But how about this name? John Jaha hit 35 homers and drove home 111 with a .970 OPS. He tied for 18th.

• More Sammy: In 2000, Sosa hit .320/.406/.634 with 50 homers, 138 RBI and 106 runs. He again checked in at ninth in NL MVP voting. Also note the above examples of Alou and Hidalgo in this vote.

• Nomar Garciaparra hit .372 in 2000. His entire line: .372/.434/.599 with 21 homers, 96 RBI, 104 runs and 51 doubles. That was good enough for ninth in the AL MVP voting. Edgar Martinez hit .324/.423/.579 with 37 homers, 145 RBI, 100 runs and came in sixth.

• Yes, there was a Coors Field stigma at the time, but still -- Larry Walker hit .350/.449/.662 with 38 homers, 123 RBI, 107 runs and 14 stolen bases and finished tied for 24th in NL MVP voting in 2001. Teammate Helton hit .336/.432/.685 with 49 homers, 146 RBI and 132 runs and came in ninth. It wasn't just Rockies, though, carrying the inflated stats. Phil Nevin hit .306/.388/.588 with 41 homers and 126 RBI and came in 21st.

• In 2002, Jim Thome hit .304/.445/.677 with 52 homers, 118 RBI and 101 runs. Depending upon how his team finished in the standings, that wins these days, but it was only good enough for seventh in AL MVP voting that year.

• How about some Richie Sexson? In 2003, he had 45 homers and 124 RBI. He placed 12th in NL MVP voting.

There are so many more examples, but you get the point. Comparing that era to what we see today feels like a totally different game. We saw six players hit at least 40 homers this year after only two did so in 2011. During the height of the "steroid era," it was well into double figures almost every season.

Also, while we're here, I feel compelled to point out the greatness of Pedro Martinez. Through all of that you read above, Martinez's average season from 1997-2003 was 17-5, 2.20 ERA, 0.94 WHIP, 252 K, 45 BB, 201 IP, 5 CG, 2 SHO. Again, that was his average season for those seven campaigns. Probably the greatest takeaway from this exercise is that Pedro Martinez in his prime was perhaps the best pitcher in baseball history.

The other takeaway? That's why using the "plus" stats (OPS+ and ERA+ as explained our "best stats" series) is so helpful when comparing players from different eras.

As much of a critic as I am of steroids in the game I believe this; given a choice of an all steroid league or an all clean league, the steroid league would draw fans at about 5-1 over the clean league. Those offensive numbers are sexy.

QUOTE (Tex @ Nov 22, 2012 -> 11:31 AM)
As much of a critic as I am of steroids in the game I believe this; given a choice of an all steroid league or an all clean league, the steroid league would draw fans at about 5-1 over the clean league. Those offensive numbers are sexy.

So why haven't attendance numbers fallen about 80% in the last few years?

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 21, 2012 -> 10:53 PM)
Why doesn't anyone ever ask if Pedro was on the juice? Many pitchers were during that time.

Pitchers never get talked about when it comes to steroids. I think it's cause it's not as noticeable like it is with the home run hitters. It's not like pitchers suddenly start throwing 105 mph and striking out 20 a game.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 22, 2012 -> 12:13 PM)
So why haven't attendance numbers fallen about 80% in the last few years?

Because there is only one league. My premise is if there were two leagues and fans had the choice to go to a game where

1. guys were hitting 60+ HRs, with scores of 12-8

or

2. a league with 6-4 games and hitting 40 HRs was an achievement

they would pick league 1.

My thought is guys like you, me, and most of the posters here would be at the clean league but the kids who only get to a couple games a year would want dad to take them to the other game. The casual fan would go see the guys with the bulging biceps and bad tempers.

:huh

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Nov 22, 2012 -> 02:25 PM)
Pitchers never get talked about when it comes to steroids. I think it's cause it's not as noticeable like it is with the home run hitters. It's not like pitchers suddenly start throwing 105 mph and striking out 20 a game.

Except Roger Clemens...and Andy Pettitte...and Jim Parque.

Still it was the sluggers who received the most scrutiny. Also, perhaps in the unfair category I am kind of suspicious of one or two year wonders from that era. Perhaps closers who were lights out for a couple seasons then suddenly sucked.

QUOTE (Tex @ Nov 23, 2012 -> 08:44 AM)
Still it was the sluggers who received the most scrutiny. Also, perhaps in the unfair category I am kind of suspicious of one or two year wonders from that era. Perhaps closers who were lights out for a couple seasons then suddenly sucked.

Eric Gagne already admitted to steroid use during his record run.

QUOTE (G&T @ Nov 23, 2012 -> 06:08 AM)
Except Roger Clemens...and Andy Pettitte...and Jim Parque.

Those were all guys that were actually busted though. My point was that there are very rarely "whispers" about pitchers, like there are about hitters. Everybody hints that Sosa, Gonzalez, Brady Anderson, etc. were probably juicing. But pitchers aren't talked about like that, probably because it's so much harder to quantify the effect has steroids have for a pitcher.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Nov 23, 2012 -> 09:01 AM)
Those were all guys that were actually busted though. My point was that there are very rarely "whispers" about pitchers, like there are about hitters. Everybody hints that Sosa, Gonzalez, Brady Anderson, etc. were probably juicing. But pitchers aren't talked about like that, probably because it's so much harder to quantify the effect has steroids have for a pitcher.

I have read multiple articles that talked about how much pitchers were able to add to their fastballs.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 23, 2012 -> 09:07 AM)
I have read multiple articles that talked about how much pitchers were able to add to their fastballs.

I'm sure they did, but their fastballs were still just in the 90+ mph range, so they don't stand out that much. Not like batters who were suddenly hitting 50-60 homers every year.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Nov 23, 2012 -> 09:11 AM)
I'm sure they did, but their fastballs were still just in the 90+ mph range, so they don't stand out that much. Not like batters who were suddenly hitting 50-60 homers every year.

FWIW the modern era has more guys than ever hitting 100+ on the gun.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 23, 2012 -> 09:07 AM)

Come to think of it I was thinking of a pitcher when I mentioned one or two season wonders. They go from awesome to boching saves.

QUOTE (Tex @ Nov 23, 2012 -> 09:14 AM)
Come to think of it I was thinking of a pitcher when I mentioned one or two season wonders. They go from awesome to boching saves.

Hmm, I think you spelled that intentionally. I remember a guy who was hitting 100 for a couple teams, and was then traded to the White Sox and was absolutely terrible.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Nov 23, 2012 -> 09:01 AM)

I think there was plenty of speculation about some of those guys before they did actually get caught . I don't think anyone was buying what Roger Clemens was selling, for example. I would be stunned if some of the names that made it out of the game without getting caught were indeed clean.

QUOTE (Swingandalongonetoleft @ Nov 25, 2012 -> 12:33 AM)
I think there was plenty of speculation about some of those guys before they did actually get caught . I don't think anyone was buying what Roger Clemens was selling, for example. I would be stunned if some of the names that made it out of the game without getting caught were indeed clean.

I don't think I guessed that Clemens was dirty until Mitchell nailed his badly shrunken b***s to the wall.

• 2 weeks later...

My favorite was Bret Boone. I was in AZ in 2001 for ST and a local station did an interview with Lou about the Mariners and he started laughing about how Boone had put on 25 pounds over the winter and was crushing the ball so far this spring. He said something like "I guess he doubled up on his Wheaties!" and then laughed some more. Then Boone went on that incredible tear, got a big new contract, then, blah blah blah.

So blatant.

QUOTE (TaylorStSox @ Dec 10, 2012 -> 05:08 PM)
I think the juiced ball was a bigger issue than PEDs.

Regarding Pedro, people equate size with steroids. Pedro was a tiny guy. Steroids don't really benefit a pitcher's velocity as much as they improve recovery and allow a pitcher to bring his A game during every outing.

If the juice didn't impact someone's velocity, then I struggle to explain a lot of things like the Gagne run.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 10, 2012 -> 04:15 PM)
If the juice didn't impact someone's velocity, then I struggle to explain a lot of things like the Gagne run.

Part of the reason behind this is there is no correlation between shoulder muscle strength and your velocity. The strength needed for a pitcher is to have the shoulder remain stable through the pitching motion. This is the job of the rotator cuff and biceps tendon. It may be that the overall strength of the body makes your velocity increase as most of the power from a pitch really comes from the legs and back. However there are so many muscles and thus variables that it would be difficult to show a correlation.

Pitchers generally don't lift weights like a hitter to put on mass. This will decrease the flexibility no matter how much you stretch. They strengthen for endurance (lower weights higher reps) or with therabands. This allows them to keep the flexibility necessary to keep the large range needed to perform the pitching motion. This does not produce the massive increase in strength from PEDs but more endurance and recovery.

The primary purpose of PEDs really is to allow the body to work out harder and more often. If you took PEDs but didn't workout it wouldn't be nearly as effective.

In the 80's powerlifters at the Olympic level would lift a body segment 3x/wk. Today most of them are clean and only lift hard 1x/wk for a body segment.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Dec 10, 2012 -> 06:27 PM)
Part of the reason behind this is there is no correlation between shoulder muscle strength and your velocity. The strength needed for a pitcher is to have the shoulder remain stable through the pitching motion. This is the job of the rotator cuff and biceps tendon. It may be that the overall strength of the body makes your velocity increase as most of the power from a pitch really comes from the legs and back. However there are so many muscles and thus variables that it would be difficult to show a correlation.

Pitchers generally don't lift weights like a hitter to put on mass. This will decrease the flexibility no matter how much you stretch. They strengthen for endurance (lower weights higher reps) or with therabands. This allows them to keep the flexibility necessary to keep the large range needed to perform the pitching motion. This does not produce the massive increase in strength from PEDs but more endurance and recovery.

The primary purpose of PEDs really is to allow the body to work out harder and more often. If you took PEDs but didn't workout it wouldn't be nearly as effective.

In the 80's powerlifters at the Olympic level would lift a body segment 3x/wk. Today most of them are clean and only lift hard 1x/wk for a body segment.

I get that you have to do the workouts...but a lot of the justifications for how steroids fail to impact those certain joints sounds a lot to me like the excuses people gave for why steroids wouldn't help people hit a baseball farther. You are probably doing so more accurately than those and with a better understanding of the actual mechanics...but the tests of guys like Clemens and Gagne are the counter-evidence. These guys built themselves bigger and their pitching performances got stronger. Eric Gagne on the juice threw 100, off of it threw low-90's.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 10, 2012 -> 06:33 PM)
I get that you have to do the workouts...but a lot of the justifications for how steroids fail to impact those certain joints sounds a lot to me like the excuses people gave for why steroids wouldn't help people hit a baseball farther. You are probably doing so more accurately than those and with a better understanding of the actual mechanics...but the tests of guys like Clemens and Gagne are the counter-evidence. These guys built themselves bigger and their pitching performances got stronger. Eric Gagne on the juice threw 100, off of it threw low-90's.

Was the juice increasing his velocity, or was he only completely healthy for a very short time in his career? Clemens always threw hard. Pitcher's take PEDs for the same reasons cyclists do, recovery.

QUOTE (TaylorStSox @ Dec 10, 2012 -> 06:39 PM)
Was the juice increasing his velocity, or was he only completely healthy for a very short time in his career? Clemens always threw hard. Pitcher's take PEDs for the same reasons cyclists do, recovery.

Gagne is the best example I can give of a guy who was incredible on the juice and seemingly flamed out right afterwards. If that's just improvement in his workouts, that's fine, whatever the mechanism is, that's a guy who came out of no where, threw 100, then flamed out.

Clemens is an interesting case and if we had the same data now as then I bet it would actually show up if you plotted his average velocity...because if he's recovering better, getting better workouts in-between outings, and in the offseason, it might not have made him throw hard on a single pitch, but it could have given him a higher average velocity by allowing him to endure better. Imagine Verlander except it doesn't tire him out to throw 100 all the time so he doesn't need to save anything.