Uribe?

rowand's rowdies

Former White Sox World Series Hero is owed $7 mil this year, LAD are considering releasing him per MLBTR

We could get him for a low prospect if we take on $2 mil of it, which would be great for him.

He fits as our backup 3b,SS,2B,1B, and a RH DH to platoon with Dunn. Brings World Series energy back to Paulie.

Let AJP walk, trade Rios for Kubel and a pitching prospect.

Trade Floyd for Salty and buy low on Melancon from RedSox.

Brings our salary down under $100 mil with room to spare if we need to add in a much more competitive AL Central.

Thoughts?

Edited by rowand's rowdies

I mean the Dodgers are spending like crazy but I don't know if they are going to throw 7 mil away like that. He's only 33 and has had injury problems the last 2 years. A fresh start if he is healthy could be all he needs to return to form. Keppinger was a non tender last year and just got 3/12. $2 mil might be more than we want to pay, obviously if he is cut and we get him on a tryout basis is best, but since the market is thin someone will probably trade something for him if the dodgers eat all his contract to man 3rd in this thin 3b market. no?

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 13, 2012 -> 10:31 AM)
You could always bring him to camp on a minor league deal, with an agreement for a million or two if he makes the team.

An offer he will probably have from several teams, so it will be basically his choice where to go if anywhere.

I know he's been dealing with injuries during parts of recent years. I was thinking of him as a last resort sort of thing when there was still uncertainty about 3B post-Youkilis/pre-Keppinger. I'm not up to date on the bench or utility guys for next year- if there is an opening for that role and he's released, it wouldn't hurt to take a gander in his direction and see if he could fill it. He certainly wouldn't be much more than the 25th man on a roster at this point.

If not, hopefully things work out for him and he finds a place somewhere. He's among my favorite Sox players.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 13, 2012 -> 09:19 AM)
He is going to be released. Why pick up any money. I haven't seen him play the last couple of years, but if there is anything left, you could bring him in for a look. I doubt it though. He's probably Aaron Rowand done.

Uribe is naturally thick, but I always wondered if he was on the same juice that Aaron Rowand was on.

QUOTE (Swingandalongonetoleft @ Dec 13, 2012 -> 10:33 AM)
I know he's been dealing with injuries during parts of recent years. I was thinking of him as a last resort sort of thing when there was still uncertainty about 3B post-Youkilis/pre-Keppinger. I'm not up to date on the bench or utility guys for next year- if there is an opening for that role and he's released, it wouldn't hurt to take a gander in his direction and see if he could fill it. He certainly wouldn't be much more than the 25th man on a roster at this point.

If not, hopefully things work out for him and he finds a place somewhere. He's among my favorite Sox players.

The Sox haven't had a whole lot of quality from their utility guys, they grabbed Angel Sanchez in the Rule 5 draft as a candidate to fill that role. The fact that Olmedo lollygagged his way through playing time in that role last year should tell you that there's an opening for a utility guy. I'd consider him, but no more than any of the other options that could be found to fill that roll.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Dec 13, 2012 -> 10:29 AM)
There's no way I'd give Uribe much more than the league minimum, and that would be on a non-guaranteed contract. There are worse ways to spend $2 million - finding a random fan in the stands and giving him or her a $2 mill contact is probably worse - but not many.

Actually if you did that as a promotional move throughout the year, that could be a cool idea. Give $2 million dollars out in fan contract money during the season at home games. $2,000,000 / 81 home games = $24,600/Game, roughly $25,000.

How cool would it be if a team gave away 5 fan contracts per game to awesome fans attending. The contracts would sign them up as a white sox fanatic, get them a spot on the team website, and a $5,000 check. You honor 405 of your best fans and award them each with $5,000. That's a better way of spending $2 million dollars than signing Juan Uribe. I'll agree to that, and if that were something that happened I would make my way out there a bit more often...

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 13, 2012 -> 03:31 PM)
You could always bring him to camp on a minor league deal, with an agreement for a million or two if he makes the team.

Not a bad idea. The one thing about Uribe is that he would be a role player and whether he hits a lot or not I am betting he is still very solid with the glove.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Dec 13, 2012 -> 11:46 AM)
Wonder what Politte and Cotts are up to nowadays

They will soon have their own dedicated threads, along with Dustin Hermanson and Carl Everett, in PHT.

Uribe has an OPS well under 6 the last two years - BUT LET'S BRING HIM BACK DOOONT STOP BELIIIIEEEEEEEVIN

DANANANAAAaaaaa

HOLD ONTO THAT FEEEEE EEEELAAAAAAAAAn

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Dec 13, 2012 -> 06:43 PM)
The only drawback about winning a World Series is having people bring up the idea of bringing back "heroes" forever.

I don't think anyone is suggesting this at all. You are bringing in someone to strengthen the bench. LA fans may hate Uribe but when he was here the players ssaw him a sa great team player. If we don't ever consider signing Juan Uribe I am fine with that too.