A. Sanchez on verge of signing with Cubs

chw42

They still have to extend Verlander. Sanchez didn't publicly say he would go back to Detroit with any offer. It seems to me, and it is a player's right to do it, if they are planning on doing that, unless they are coming from a fiscally conservative team, you are basically doing all the work for them. Apparently Arte Moreno offers you a lot of money and says its take it or leave it. If Hamilton wanted to see if Texas would match, there would be nothing to match. Maybe Theo needs to adopt this style of negotiating. Sanchez is a nice pitcher, but $16 million a year for 5 years is probably going to be dead weight at some point.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 14, 2012 -> 09:14 AM)
I thought that about some of their late-2000's contracts and they still managed to trade for Miguel Cabrera then. The days of big money for Ordonez, Guillen, etc.

The checks obviously aren't going to bounce, but according to Forbes, the Tigers don't make money, and they are spending more now than ever before. $80 million for Sanchez? That's just crazy, although I'm sure Scherzer is pretty thrilled, and they still have to extend Verlander, and you know the Dodgers will give him a blank check.

Edited by Dick Allen

So Detroit's going to have the same rotation that got swept by the Giants. Cool. While they have to be the favorites going into the season, not just in the central but the entire AL, I think it's a lot to ask for Miggy to repeat his triple-crown season. And no matter how good his mechanics, I believe that Verlander's innings are going to catch up with him eventually.

QUOTE (The Ginger Kid @ Dec 15, 2012 -> 06:47 PM)
So Detroit's going to have the same rotation that got swept by the Giants. Cool. While they have to be the favorites going into the season, not just in the central but the entire AL, I think it's a lot to ask for Miggy to repeat his triple-crown season. And no matter how good his mechanics, I believe that Verlander's innings are going to catch up with him eventually.

Trouble is...

If Miguel Cabrera steps backwards significantly...

Torii Hunter and Victor Martinez are two major, major bats that can fill in that blank.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 15, 2012 -> 06:46 PM)
Trouble is...

If Miguel Cabrera steps backwards significantly...

Torii Hunter and Victor Martinez are two major, major bats that can fill in that blank.

Without a doubt the tigers are the team to beat in the AL, and as for the central, someone's gonna have to pull a rabbit out of their ass to stay with them if they play to their potential. I wouldn't count on them underachieving again like last season. But VMart's been out of the game for a year. Hunter's not getting any younger either. Guys that scare me are Garcia and Castellanos. I wouldn't be at all surprised if vmart disappoints.