Catch-All Anything Thread

cabiness42

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Aug 27, 2013 -> 09:11 AM)
No, he tried to surface dive from a somewhat level position at the edge of the water on the beach. I guess he just put his head down farther than he should have because his arms were apparently out in front of him. I know i've down the same thing a thousand times, but maybe i just never dip my head down as far, or do more of a dive/belly flop style jump on the top of the water. In either case, he clearly f***ed up.

I spoke to his wife last night and he was able to feel a little more of his stomach/abdomen than he did before his surgery. He was also able to feel a little in one of his feet. That's all a really good sign as things might continue to get better as the swelling goes down. I'm sure it's still a 99% chance he never controls anything below his chest again, but at least there are a few positive signs.

Complete freak accident.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Aug 27, 2013 -> 07:14 AM)
Complete freak accident.

Yeah, I mean that is nuts. I know the tendency is to overreact and not want to take any risks whatsoever, but what kind of a life is that?

Jenks, I appreciate your desire to protect your son, but you can't protect him from everything. Kids are made pretty sturdy at that age for a reason- because they fall down and bang into things. I know you're a bit traumatized by what you just saw happen to your friend, but there just isn't much you can do about things like that.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Aug 27, 2013 -> 12:43 PM)
Yeah, I mean that is nuts. I know the tendency is to overreact and not want to take any risks whatsoever, but what kind of a life is that?

Jenks, I appreciate your desire to protect your son, but you can't protect him from everything. Kids are made pretty sturdy at that age for a reason- because they fall down and bang into things. I know you're a bit traumatized by what you just saw happen to your friend, but there just isn't much you can do about things like that.

No I know, it's just on my mind so I freak out more than I did before. When he falls off things and hits his head I have an actual worst-case-scenario to refer to.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Aug 28, 2013 -> 12:26 PM)
I love Bill Watterson, but his dumbass character in the above strip "pursues what makes him happy" and magically creates a family and pays bills after quitting his job and doing stupid s***.

LOL, I am pretty sure that dumbass is supposed to be Bill

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Aug 28, 2013 -> 12:27 PM)

Well, then it's not very applicable. Also, the final frame is clearly a father killing himself and his daughter by careening down a mountain in a radio flyer (if it's supposed to be real life).

If you are incredibly gifted, then it's perfectly fine. I mean, my passion in life is baseball, specifically playing baseball, but I really can't do that for the rest of my life unless I want to die in 4 months due to lack of food and shelter.

Generally, society will provide outlets that allow you to enjoy life while allowing you to also sustain yourself. Sometimes, this is "selling out to the man" and "being told what to do."

Edited by witesoxfan

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Aug 28, 2013 -> 12:28 PM)
Well, then it's not very applicable. Also, the final frame is clearly a father killing himself and his daughter by careening down a mountain in a radio flyer (if it's supposed to be real life).

Yea, if you're really talented and creative you MIGHT be able to pull off what Bill did, but for the average person out there they don't have the skills to succeed, and most that even do may never get the opportunities that Bill eventually received.

It's a huge gamble, and could make one's life even worse with always stressing about paying bills while raising a family. While working the corporate ladder isn't for everyone, it can definitely provide a good life for many.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Aug 28, 2013 -> 12:26 PM)
I love Bill Watterson, but his dumbass character in the above strip "pursues what makes him happy" and magically creates a family and pays bills after quitting his job and doing stupid s***.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Aug 28, 2013 -> 12:27 PM)

I want to make it clear that the cartoon strip is strictly inspired by Watterson's cartoons and his quote - it's a tribute piece, basically, though I am certain that Watterson would agree with the sentiment since he said those words at a commencement.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Aug 28, 2013 -> 01:13 PM)
If you are incredibly gifted, then it's perfectly fine. I mean, my passion in life is baseball, specifically playing baseball, but I really can't do that for the rest of my life unless I want to die in 4 months due to lack of food and shelter.

Generally, society will provide outlets that allow you to enjoy life while allowing you to also sustain yourself. Sometimes, this is "selling out to the man" and "being told what to do."

This.

It reminds me of the quote "find something you love to do and you'll never work a day in your life". That's great in theory but it doesn't work for everyone because there are a lot of s***ty jobs out there that need to be done and I doubt they are on many people's list of dream jobs.

So, all day long today my lower right side towards my back has been sore, and I thought I pulled a muscle or something sleeping. So, I looked and there was a bruise.

Then I remembered my 3 year old son did a flying kneedrop on me last night when we were roughhousing. <_>

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Aug 29, 2013 -> 03:08 PM)
So, all day long today my lower right side towards my back has been sore, and I thought I pulled a muscle or something sleeping. So, I looked and there was a bruise.

Then I remembered my 3 year old son did a flying kneedrop on me last night when we were roughhousing. <_>

Three year old boys, huh? They are a lot more physically gifted than we think. Mine kicks my ass all the time.

QUOTE (JPN366 @ Aug 30, 2013 -> 03:32 PM)
Three year old boys, huh? They are a lot more physically gifted than we think. Mine kicks my ass all the time.

truth. He just keeps on going. I have seen him pass out a total of 3 times in his short life due to physical exhaustion