Catch-All Anything Thread

cabiness42

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Oct 8, 2013 -> 11:30 PM)
Be prepared for crazy ladies.

And don't overvalue your stuff

Really good chance I'll do that. I plan on pricing things at "what I'd like to get for it" and be prepared to get offered 10% of that value for, like, every damn item.

I have a ton of electronics and athletic gear to get rid of.

Anyone ever have a yard sale? Trying to hold one this weekend. Seems like a daunting task.

If you advertise it, people will start showing up at least an hour before the advertised start time. If your stuff isn't all out yet, they will get indignant.

Nobody will ever offer the price on the item, no matter how reasonable that price is. Mark everything up at least 50% above the lowest price you're willing to take.

Get a lot of quarters and small bills. People will negotiate you down from $3 to $1 on an item, and then pay with a $20.

If you have kids, have them make lemonade and sell it. You may make more from that than from the yard sale.

QUOTE (MHizzle85 @ Oct 9, 2013 -> 11:34 AM)
Miley Cyrus during the VMAs was headline news for them. News is such a joke these days.

I can almost excuse that, what she did happened on a nationally televised broadcast. This is a hollywood divorce/seperation. Who the f*** cares

We had a garage sale a few years ago. Advertised on Craigslist. I had a bunch of Star Wars figures from Episode 1 that were unopened. We advertised that on Craigslist among other things. It was like 15 total figures, Darth Maul and s***. Complete garbage.

Had about 10 cars at our house hours before it started just for that garbage alone.

Also, and this was a few years ago, we couldn't give away a 21" tube television. No one would take it.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Oct 9, 2013 -> 11:37 AM)
I can almost excuse that, what she did happened on a nationally televised broadcast. This is a hollywood divorce/seperation. Who the f*** cares

It's not just a Hollywood divorce. That's a gold medal decathlete, at one time the greatest athlete in the world. That's why people care, right?

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Oct 9, 2013 -> 11:44 AM)
We had a garage sale a few years ago. Advertised on Craigslist. I had a bunch of Star Wars figures from Episode 1 that were unopened. We advertised that on Craigslist among other things. It was like 15 total figures, Darth Maul and s***. Complete garbage.

Had about 10 cars at our house hours before it started just for that garbage alone.

Also, and this was a few years ago, we couldn't give away a 21" tube television. No one would take it.

From what I have been told, athletic gear, workout equipment and usable (somewhat modern) electronics will all go quickly. I've got plenty of that. Fully expecting a barrage of people at the crackass of dawn the very second we unfold a table.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Oct 9, 2013 -> 11:44 AM)

Yeah, I have 2 tube tv's and an old rear projection HDTV. I've been holding on to them thinking they have some kind of value, but I should just take them somewhere to be recycled. They're worthless at this point.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Oct 9, 2013 -> 12:35 PM)
From what I have been told, athletic gear, workout equipment and usable (somewhat modern) electronics will all go quickly. I've got plenty of that. Fully expecting a barrage of people at the crackass of dawn the very second we unfold a table.

Yeah - I bet you do well. Are you only selling YOUR old athletic gear. Aren't you freakishly tall?

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Oct 9, 2013 -> 12:47 PM)
Yeah, I have 2 tube tv's and an old rear projection HDTV. I've been holding on to them thinking they have some kind of value, but I should just take them somewhere to be recycled. They're worthless at this point.

Yeah - we don't have any tube tvs anymore and I had to put them out on the street with a "free" sign just to get someone to snag em.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Oct 9, 2013 -> 12:51 PM)
Yeah - we don't have any tube tvs anymore and I had to put them out on the street with a "free" sign just to get someone to snag em.

I did that and our village put a sticker on them and ordered me to take them to the village recyclery. LOL, even trying to give them away was an epic fail

Las Vegas is the best for this...I had these three huge monstrosity Ikea wall units that I needed to get rid of when I was moving. I had barely gotten one out into the driveway when these two dudes came to the door asking if I was giving it away. I said yes, and I have more! They came in and took the rest of the stuff and I didn't have to lift a finger.

Of course also knowing Las Vegas, they probably sold them at their own yard sale for $100 a pop. ;)

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Oct 9, 2013 -> 12:50 PM)
Yeah - I bet you do well. Are you only selling YOUR old athletic gear. Aren't you freakishly tall?

I'm 6'6. I wouldn't say freakish but I'm also not really selling any apparel. I've got a couple baseball bags, a brand new set of Nike spikes (size 14), workout equipment, etc. I do have a couple jerseys I'd like to move that might be big for all you little folk.

In my town, I've set three different tube TVs next to the curb. Each time they were gone within the hour. Only once did a kid who may have been a high schooler take it (our high school-aged kids like to take TVs and chuck them at stuff)