Americans Life Expectancy

Reddy

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Jan 11, 2013 -> 05:43 PM)
Do me a favor and drive down Lake Street westbound and tell me how many healthy food joints you can find along the way before you hit Oak Park. The answer is 0.

Do me a favor.

Drive down Milwaukee Road from Dundee to Hawthorn Mall and tell me how many "Health Food Stores" there are.

Oh wait there are none, because I asked you a loaded question about a specific street in a neighborhood I know.

Maybe you should drive down Dundee Road between the Lake and the highway. Damn those Glencoe folks must be poor, they dont have a single store anywhere.

What exactly did you prove?

Edited by Soxbadger

• Replies 449
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (bmags @ Jan 11, 2013 -> 05:47 PM)
I'm guessing they own a car in your suburb.

They do own a car. But they have to pass a ton of junk food places.

Why dont they just go to the closer easier places? Why do they take the time and energy to go shop somewhere farther away?

Because its important to them, so they go out of there way to do it.

QUOTE (Reddy @ Jan 11, 2013 -> 05:52 PM)
comparing harlem to nairobi is a straw man argument simply because I'll bet that area is not in one of the 27 countries ahead of the US. ;)

You are right. I just was to lazy to look at the 27 countries, and Nairobi was the first desert city I thought of.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Jan 11, 2013 -> 05:39 PM)
I wonder why affluent white people don't make it a priority to go to these places if there's such an abundance of healthy food available there.

I also don't know why they have to be affluent "white" people. Do you know many affluent people in general who live in trailer courts or ghettos? Do solely minorities, primarily blacks, live in trailer courts and ghettos?

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jan 11, 2013 -> 03:49 PM)
Do me a favor.

Drive down Milwaukee Road from Dundee to Hawthorn Mall and tell me how many "Health Food Stores" there are.

Oh wait there are none, because I asked you a loaded question about a specific street in a neighborhood I know.

Maybe you should drive down Dundee Road between the Lake and the highway. Damn those Glencoe folks must be poor, they dont have a single store anywhere.

What exactly did you prove?

I wasn't referring to one neighborhood in Chicago. Lake Street runs through several impoverished neighborhoods with a very high concentration of people. Not aware of the the stretch of road you're referring to where people own 2 to 4 cars per household.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jan 12, 2013 -> 12:52 AM)
They do own a car. But they have to pass a ton of junk food places.

Why dont they just go to the closer easier places? Why do they take the time and energy to go shop somewhere farther away?

Because its important to them, so they go out of there way to do it.

Yeah? Do you expel a lot of time and energy driving?

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jan 11, 2013 -> 03:54 PM)
I also don't know why they have to be affluent "white" people. Do you know many affluent people in general who live in trailer courts or ghettos? Do solely minorities, primarily blacks, live in trailer courts and ghettos?

Because affluent white people in this thread are downplaying impoverished people, insinuating that they're too lazy to find healthy food.

All they have to do is google "food store" near their home...duh!

Oh wait, they can't afford internet at home so no way to google. And the search results come up with PetSmart and some food & liquor stores anyway. Oh well...they must be too lazy cause it ain't hard for me to find healthy food.

Edited by BigSqwert

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Jan 11, 2013 -> 06:58 PM)
Because affluent white people in this thread are downplaying impoverished people, insinuating that they're too lazy to find healthy food.

1) lack of availability

2) cost

3) misinformation

it ain't laziness.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Jan 11, 2013 -> 05:55 PM)
I wasn't referring to one neighborhood in Chicago. Lake Street runs through several impoverished neighborhoods with a very high concentration of people. Not aware of the the stretch of road you're referring to where people own 2 to 4 cars per household.

And I work 3-4 blocks south of lake street in Chicago. Where I am there is a Jewel, a Mariano's Market and a bunch of other stores, 2-3 blocks from the street. Lake street itself has basically garbage nonsense because its an El Steet and thus no big box store wants to have a storefront on it. This is changing though, see Wilson Yards project. Which is in Uptown, not a very affluent area, but has a Jewel, Target and Aldi's within 1 block and all right off of the Redline.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jan 11, 2013 -> 05:56 PM)
Yeah? Do you expel a lot of time and energy driving?

Its an hour round trip. I dont know if you consider that a lot of time. To me its to much time. For you maybe not.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Jan 11, 2013 -> 05:56 PM)
There is no difference in driving and taking 3 different buses to lug your groceries.

And once again, 3 buses to get groceries has to be an aberration. Back in the day when Cabrini still existed, there was a Domnicks right behind it. There was a Jewel down the street.

Unless youre saying Cabrini Green was an affluent area.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Jan 11, 2013 -> 05:58 PM)

Please find where I said this, because Ive never said it, Ive never implied it.

Ive merely repeated over and over again, you are comparing US and US. This is a thread about why the US is lagging against the rest of the world.

The US lagging includes affluent people and poor people. Both are involved. If you actually read my posts youll see I constantly say that rich people are also the reason why US life expectancy is going down.

So please please show me where I implied it has anything to do with poor people. I just keep asking why people think its easier to get food IN OTHER COUNTRIES.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jan 11, 2013 -> 07:03 PM)
Please find where I said this, because Ive never said it, Ive never implied it.

Ive merely repeated over and over again, you are comparing US and US. This is a thread about why the US is lagging against the rest of the world.

The US lagging includes affluent people and poor people. Both are involved. If you actually read my posts youll see I constantly say that rich people are also the reason why US life expectancy is going down.

So please please show me where I implied it has anything to do with poor people. I just keep asking why people think its easier to get food IN OTHER COUNTRIES.

this is very true

Stop with with white bulls***, please. There are more white people on welfare than any other race, and not only because of the higher population...but because of the interior of the country devoid of big or even small cities...MOST of those people are on welfare. Do me a favor, drive through a ghetto in Chicago...it's bad. Don't get me wrong...it's bad. Now drive into hickerville Kentucky, on roads your gps doesn't even know exist, and you'll see what bad actually is. I have...I'm one of the few that's taken these back roads to the point that I said, wow...I felt unsafe in a Chicago Ghetto...if our car broke down here, I don't think we have a chance. I'm talking chainsaw massacre creepy. I go to these towns on my travels, and I have to tell you, these people look at me like I'm Bill Gates rich, when I'm SO not.

I also have some news for you. You do NOT need health food stores in this country to eat healthy. You simply have to want too do it.

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Jan 11, 2013 -> 07:06 PM)
Stop with with white bulls***, please. There are more white people on welfare than any other race, and not only because of the higher population...but because of the interior of the country devoid of big or even small cities...MOST of those people are on welfare. Do me a favor, drive through a ghetto in Chicago...it's bad. Don't get me wrong...it's bad. Now drive into hickerville Kentucky, on roads your gps doesn't even know exist, and you'll see what bad actually is. I have...I'm one of the few that's taken these back roads to the point that I said, wow...I felt unsafe in a Chicago Ghetto...if our car broke down here, I don't think we have a chance. I'm talking chainsaw massacre creepy. I go to these towns on my travels, and I have to tell you, these people look at me like I'm Bill Gates rich, when I'm SO not.

I also have some news for you. You do NOT need health food stores in this country to eat healthy. You simply have to want too do it.

you were doing so well until that.

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Jan 11, 2013 -> 04:06 PM)

Many impoverished people have no idea what constitutes a healthy meal to begin with. Education levels are often not as high. It's not as simple as people just not wanting to eat healthy. They may have no clue as to what's actually healthy.

"What's wrong with a burger? Meat, cheese? I've always been told that's good for you. French fries are a vegetable."

It's doubtful that the poor are subscribing to the latest gourmet cooking magazines, copying quinoa recipes.

Edited by BigSqwert

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Jan 11, 2013 -> 05:58 PM)

All they have to do is google "food store" near their home...duh!

Oh wait, they can't afford internet at home so no way to google. And the search results come up with PetSmart and some food & liquor stores anyway. Oh well...they must be too lazy cause it ain't hard for me to find healthy food.

Wow, the world has stopped spinning, I agree with BS!

Like I said in my previous post, you do NOT need a "health food store" to eat healthy. You simply have to WANT to do it. I know, for a fact, I could eat 500% more healthy than I do. I simply don't. But I also don't buy into our excuse laden society where I'll blame you and everyone else for my choices if something went wrong. I know exactly what I'm doing. I try to do better...I really do...but I also know I could do MUCH better than I am. And I don't need a whole foods near me to do it. The corner store would suffice if I so chose.

QUOTE (Reddy @ Jan 11, 2013 -> 06:07 PM)
you were doing so well until that.

Um, no. You're flat our wrong.

Edit so new readers understand context: You are contending that a person REQUIRES a "health food store" to eat healthy. You're wrong. Period. Wrong. 100% wrong. This is a f***ing lie. Stop spreading it.

Edited by Y2HH

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Jan 11, 2013 -> 07:11 PM)
Um, no. You're flat our wrong.

explain how I was wrong when I said that availability, cost, and misinformation are the factors that play a role in impoverished folks' poor health.

QUOTE (Reddy @ Jan 11, 2013 -> 06:13 PM)
explain how I was wrong when I said that availability, cost, and misinformation are the factors that play a role in impoverished folks' poor health.

There is no country in which more is available to a person than this one. We waste more food in a year than most developed countries consume. What we need to do is stop spreading misinformation. I'm not saying education wouldn't help...but let's not pretend it doesn't exist. Let's not pretend that in some cases it's even necessary. You don't need a PHD to understand that a fatty slab of meat is worse for you than a plate of vegetables. This is excuse making at it's WORST. Most people, INCLUDING poor people, know what's good for them. They simply don't care. And you making excuses for them to not care is actually part of the problem.

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Jan 11, 2013 -> 07:15 PM)
There is no country in which more is available to a person than this one. We waste more food in a year than most developed countries consume. What we need to do is stop spreading misinformation. I'm not saying education wouldn't help...but let's not pretend it doesn't exist. Let's not pretend that in some cases it's even necessary. You don't need a PHD to understand that a fatty slab of meat is worse for you than a plate of vegetables. This is excuse making at it's WORST. Most people, INCLUDING poor people, know what's good for them. They simply don't care. And you making excuses for them to not care is actually part of the problem.

how do you know all this, out of curiosity?

is a fatty slab of meat healthier than a plate of vegetables cooked in a whole stick of butter and covered in salt? I guarantee millions of americans would say those vegetables are healthier even though it's not true.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Jan 11, 2013 -> 06:09 PM)
Many impoverished people have no idea what constitutes a healthy meal to begin with. Education levels are often not as high. It's not as simple as people just not wanting to eat healthy. They may have no clue as to what's actually healthy.

"What's wrong with a burger? Meat, cheese? I've always been told that's good for you. French fries are a vegetable."

It's doubtful that the poor are subscribing to the latest gourmet cooking magazines, copying quinoa recipes.

See, this is the part I think is incorrect...to a degree.

I think impoverished people, at least in the USA, DO know what's bad for them. They simply don't care...especially when the society surrounding them builds in excuses for them.

You'd be hard pressed to find me a single poor person in Chicago that doesn't know a big mac is worse for them than a plate of vegetables. I know I have no scientific data to back this...but I refuse to believe even the stupidest people are THAT stupid. I think they're ignorant, because society allows them to be. Maybe even wants them to be, because it gives them the opportunity to "pretend to care".

QUOTE (Reddy @ Jan 11, 2013 -> 06:17 PM)
how do you know all this, out of curiosity?

is a fatty slab of meat healthier than a plate of vegetables cooked in a whole stick of butter and covered in salt? I guarantee millions of americans would say those vegetables are healthier even though it's not true.

And those people cooking those vegetables in a whole stick of butter KNOW it's not good for them. Again...they don't care. And why should they with you and the other caregivers building in excuses for them to feign ignorance?

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Jan 11, 2013 -> 07:20 PM)
And those people cooking those vegetables in a whole stick of butter KNOW it's not good for them. Again...they don't care. And why should they with you and the other caregivers building in excuses for them to feign ignorance?

dude HOW DO YOU KNOW THIS? you're literally just hypothesizing.

I coach people every day on nutrition, and you would be AMAZED at the amount of misinformation. Any time someone tells me they eat "clean", I tell them I want to know what that means to them, and give me a breakdown of a daily diet. It's almost never ACTUALLY clean.

I also see it every single day in NYC in these impoverished areas where you'll be in a Subway ordering a sandwich and the woman next to you goes "no cheese, that s***'ll go straight to my ass" while a split second later she wants a ton of mayo and sauces.

people are stupid.