Americans Life Expectancy

Reddy

QUOTE (bmags @ Jan 10, 2013 -> 03:04 PM)
They weren't healthy. They starved. Oh, sorry, I shouldn't correct you for fear of being condescending. Why don't you tell me some large generalizations about how poor people are stupid and lazy, please. I wouldn't mean to offend you.

You are condescending to just about everyone, and trust me, I'm not near alone in making this observation.

And you didn't correct anyone. You may have a high level of understanding about certain things, but sports, and very obviously nutrition, are not among them.

• Replies 449
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jan 10, 2013 -> 03:06 PM)
You are condescending to just about everyone, and trust me, I'm not near alone in making this observation.

And you didn't correct anyone. You may have a high level of understanding about certain things, but sports, and very obviously nutrition, are not among them.

You're white and have a job, you just don't get it shack. These things make you evil, no matter what else you do.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Jan 10, 2013 -> 03:09 PM)
You're white and have a job, you just don't get it shack. These things make you evil, no matter what else you do.

And I am not allowed to have an opinion either, because I have no perspective of "the real world."

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jan 10, 2013 -> 10:06 PM)

I assure you, that I would much rather be considered condescending by iamshack at soxtalk, then actually hold in my heart these disgusting stereotypes thrown out in this thread.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jan 10, 2013 -> 03:13 PM)
I assure you, that I would much rather be considered condescending by iamshack at soxtalk, then actually hold in my heart these disgusting stereotypes thrown out in this thread.

Like non-white people aren't smart enough to figure out how to eat smart?

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jan 10, 2013 -> 03:03 PM)
Do you not realize there was a time in human history when stores did not exist? When people actually had to hunt and gather their food? That they had to grow their food? Good thing they didn't all just eat the poisonous plant that was close to their cave...

They found ways to not have to do that and to make it a lot easier.

If you make it difficult to walk to the store, few people will walk. I really don't get why you guys are having such a hard time accepting cultural and social factors that go into general health and fitness levels.

A larger point is that those in poverty just don't think about 10, 20, 30 years from now. They don't know that they'll even live that long...they just want to feed themselves today.

I think you've actually hit on a really, really good point here. Worrying about your health 10, 20, 30 years from now is a luxury. It's a huge luxury most people haven't had throughout history and hundreds of millions if not billions still don't have. You're worried about surviving until tomorrow or until next week, worried about paying the bills due Friday and not those due at the end of the month. Planning for the future is a luxury for people who don't have to struggle so hard just to get by in the present.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 10, 2013 -> 03:14 PM)
Like non-white people aren't smart enough to figure out how to eat smart?

Nobody has said this bulls***. I can't believe you guys are actually incapable of understanding the concepts of "culture" and "social pressures and influences."

QUOTE (bmags @ Jan 10, 2013 -> 03:13 PM)

Not sure why you spend so much time here amongst me and the others harboring all the disgusting stereotypes than out on the tough streets of Lincoln Park with all your brethren in the soup kitchens.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jan 10, 2013 -> 03:15 PM)
Nobody has said this bulls***. I can't believe you guys are actually incapable of understanding the concepts of "culture" and "social pressures and influences."

Kinda sucks when we play that game with you, doesn't it?

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jan 10, 2013 -> 04:10 PM)
And just another point, I don't think America's obesity epidemic is just made up of those in poverty. Many affluent people make the same silly or irresponsible decisions as those in poverty.

I think that decision is much more irresponsible when it is made by someone in relative affluence. If I make the decision to eat fast food, that's me being lazy. For someone who doesn't have a working stove or car (I can't imagine carrying groceries home on the bus), I think that decision to eat what is unhealthy and convenient is less silly and less irresponsible.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jan 10, 2013 -> 03:14 PM)
They found ways to not have to do that and to make it a lot easier.

If you make it difficult to walk to the store, few people will walk. I really don't get why you guys are having such a hard time accepting cultural and social factors that go into general health and fitness levels.

I think you've actually hit on a really, really good point here. Worrying about your health 10, 20, 30 years from now is a luxury. It's a huge luxury most people haven't had throughout history and hundreds of millions if not billions still don't have. You're worried about surviving until tomorrow or until next week, worried about paying the bills due Friday and not those due at the end of the month. Planning for the future is a luxury for people who don't have to struggle so hard just to get by in the present.

Well, in my privileged, white world, I have seen plenty of people who came from foreign countries with completely different lifestyles from my own come in and make the same bad choices that I, and many other American-born people, make.

I do think there is an impact from the environment, but I just believe it's up to the individual to make choices in the end.

I saw these same mistakes made not only here, but also in other countries.

Edited by bigruss22

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jan 10, 2013 -> 10:15 PM)
Not sure why you spend so much time here amongst me and the others harboring all the disgusting stereotypes than out on the tough streets of Lincoln Park with all your brethren in the soup kitchens.

I don't live in Lincoln Park, but I appreciate that you use stereotypes in all aspects of your life. Congrats. At least you are consistent.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jan 10, 2013 -> 03:15 PM)

Right, I clearly made up the insertion of race and racial codewords into this thread

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jan 10, 2013 -> 01:15 PM)

I'm also guessing not many of us in here have a mom who was 15 when she had a baby and forced to live below the poverty line as a single mom, working multiple jobs.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jan 10, 2013 -> 03:11 PM)
Depends what your billable rate is, my friend.

Someone sure must have annoyed you today. Because you are hilariously making similar points to mine, yet you keep backhandedly attacking me.

What gives?

Me:

Where I am going with this is that the premise about half of these arguments are hilariously faulty. People keep claiming that its food deserts, or not enough money, or not enough time. None of that is the reason why Americans are dieing faster. The reason Americans die faster is that we make stupid decisions that cost us years off our lives. Whether it be eating habits, drug habits, risky behavior, it all adds up to the fact that Americans die quicker than counter parts.

If people want to eat healthy, get in shape, there are countless opportunities in the United States. But at a certain point, there is just nothing you can do. There are people who are extremely obese, extremely unhealthy, who simply dont care, and quite frankly you arent going to convince me I should start caring. The same goes for the people who still smoke cigarettes. There is no justification, but if they want to die faster, thats on them. I am not going to sit up at night worry that other people in the US may die faster.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You:

Honestly, if you do not understand how, or you do not know if you will be able to provide basic nutrition to your offspring, YOU SHOULD NOT HAVE THEM. And if you do anyways, THEY WILL PROBABLY NOT BE PARTICULARLY HEALTHY OR BE IN A GREAT POSITION TO OVERCOME THE POSITION IN WHICH YOU HAVE PUT THEM IN THE FIRST PLACE.

I fall on the liberal side of things on many, many issues. But this ultra-left nonsense which ultimately places human beings in a position of taking absolutely no responsibility for themselves or their offspring and blaming EVERYTHING on "the world" or the "food desert" or whatever other pathetic liberal constructs you want to come up with is more of an insult to these people than the one you accuse me of levying.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Are you just upset that I used numbers that were divisible by 100? $100 per hour, $100,000? Because I just was using simple numbers so that the math was easy.

Edited by Soxbadger

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jan 10, 2013 -> 03:11 PM)
And I am not allowed to have an opinion either, because I have no perspective of "the real world."

You're absolutely allowed to have an opinion. Just try to examine your own opinions to see if they're coming from a privileged perspective, if there's some advantages you had and maybe didn't recognize that these other people you're judging don't, if you had more room for mistakes and set-backs, etc. Basically "walk a mile in someone's shoes" or at least, to the extent possible without actually living their experience, try to understand a mile in their shoes.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jan 10, 2013 -> 03:18 PM)
I don't live in Lincoln Park, but I appreciate that you use stereotypes in all aspects of your life. Congrats. At least you are consistent.

Excuse shack, he hasn't hit on enough secretaries today. White people don't rationalize well without enough office spankings and layoffs.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 10, 2013 -> 03:18 PM)
Right, I clearly made up the insertion of race and racial codewords into this thread

No, you made up that bulls*** about someone saying that poor people or non-whites are too dumb for something or other. You and jenks love to trot out this horrible argument whenever someone points out social factors.