Americans Life Expectancy

Reddy

• Replies 449
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jan 10, 2013 -> 12:28 PM)
jenks has deep insights to the day-to-day life of poverty

So feeding a family McDonald's at $20/visit (assuming only one meal per person family of four) is cheaper than venturing into the produce section of a grocery store? GMAFB.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jan 10, 2013 -> 12:44 PM)
(not that taco bell would be less than 2 bucks once you account for the food and travel).

At the end of the day in 99% of cases making your own food and having left overs is going to be cheaper than getting something pre-made or going out to eat.

QUOTE (CrimsonWeltall @ Jan 10, 2013 -> 12:46 PM)
plus maybe 40 minutes' effort.

I think we are just doing different math.

40 minutes of time, or even 30 minutes of my time is worth over $50. That means for me to make a meal that takes 30 minutes costs $50 (time I could have been working instead of making food.) Thus there is no way it is ever cheaper for me to make my own food, as opposed to buying it on the way home (5 minutes). The only reason I make food is because it is healthier and I can control what I am being served.

Now if you are just saying that the food (by itself no prep etc) costs cheaper at a store, that would probably be close, but it would depend on the way the argument was styled (if it was calorie per $, you still may get more bang for fast food.)

But you cant just discount the prep time.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jan 10, 2013 -> 01:11 PM)

40 minutes of time, or even 30 minutes of my time is worth over $50.

When you're sitting on your ass at home at night arguing on Soxtalk? I don't think so. Plus, cooking is/can be an enjoyable activity.

Edited by Steve9347

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jan 10, 2013 -> 01:11 PM)

40 minutes of time, or even 30 minutes of my time is worth over $50. That means for me to make a meal that takes 30 minutes costs $50 (time I could have been working instead of making food.) Thus there is no way it is ever cheaper for me to make my own food, as opposed to buying it on the way home (5 minutes). The only reason I make food is because it is healthier and I can control what I am being served.

Now if you are just saying that the food (by itself no prep etc) costs cheaper at a store, that would probably be close, but it would depend on the way the argument was styled (if it was calorie per $, you still may get more bang for fast food.)

Are you serious? 30 minutes of your time is worth over $50? Sounds like you are splitting hairs.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jan 10, 2013 -> 01:08 PM)
So feeding a family McDonald's at $20/visit (assuming only one meal per person family of four) is cheaper than venturing into the produce section of a grocery store? GMAFB.

$20 at mcdonalds is probably getting you 500-1000 calories per person. Thats a ton of food. The problem is that those people then go and eat more food through out the day, ending up in the 3k calorie range. If they actually just ate fast food reasonably it probably wouldnt even be a problem. Its just some people have either no understanding or no care about how burning calories work and the actual amounts you need to survive. A cheeseburger is 300 calories. That means for less than $10 you can get 2k calories.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jan 10, 2013 -> 08:11 PM)

I'm not discounting it; that's why I mentioned it.

Do you really view every hour of your day in this manner? If you watch an hour of tv, do you see it as $100 lost?

And it's cool for you if you have a job where you make $100/hour (and can apparently work unlimited hours if you choose to), but that's simply not the case for the vast, vast majority of people.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jan 10, 2013 -> 12:14 PM)
But the issue with food deserts is that they may not have access to a decent produce area with affordable produce, so that doesn't do them much good. There's also the aspect of actually knowing how to prepare and cook different meals and having the stuff to do so. Yeah, processed food is easier, there's a whole lot of time and stress issues you face when in poverty. The parent working two jobs and raising two or three kids might not actually have time to exercise that much or they might be exhausted at the end of a long day.

This applies to some people in some circumstances, not everybody, obviously.

Anyone can figure out how to make a meal. Go to the library and read a book, use the internet from the library, there are many options. The parent raising 3 kids can go for a walk. If health is the issue, they can find the time.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jan 10, 2013 -> 01:08 PM)

Feeding a family of four off the dollar menu might be. Access to the produce section of a grocery store might not be something that's readily available. That's the whole premise behind a "food desert."

QUOTE (CrimsonWeltall @ Jan 10, 2013 -> 12:46 PM)
Beef and cheese tacos aren't exactly healthy.

1 lb of chicken breast: $2

1 lb of potatoes: $1

1 head of cauliflower: $3

seasonings/other: $1

water: $squat

Family of four fed a good, healthy meal for $7 plus maybe 40 minutes' effort.

forty minutes of time (plus cleanup?) might be a luxury for someone workings two jobs or long hours, whether it's just to get by or because they're trying to make partner at the firm.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jan 10, 2013 -> 01:13 PM)
When you're sitting on your ass at home at night arguing on Soxtalk? I don't think so. Plus, cooking is/can be an enjoyable activity.

You mean my free time? Cooking is annoying. It means that I have to use my entire kitchen. It means that I have to clean dishes. I have to fight cats as they try and eat the food. Its really not enjoyable. When I decide to finish working for the day, I dont like to come home and work more. Its the same reason why people pay a house cleaner or any other service industry. Its called opportunity cost.

QUOTE (pettie4sox @ Jan 10, 2013 -> 01:15 PM)
Are you serious? 30 minutes of your time is worth over $50? Sounds like you are splitting hairs.

See opportunity cost.

3 examples.

Example 1: I am in my apartment billing clients and being paid. I earn $100 an hour. I order food it takes 1minute, it costs $20.

Example 2: I am in my apartment cooking food, cleaning dishes. I earn $0 an hour. But food cost only $5 to buy.

Example 3: I am in my apartment posting on Soxtalk. I earn $0 an hour. In my opinion the enjoyment of screwing around is immeasurable.

None of this really matters. Because why exactly do I care when other people die.

QUOTE (CrimsonWeltall @ Jan 10, 2013 -> 01:46 PM)
Beef and cheese tacos aren't exactly healthy.

1 lb of chicken breast: $2

1 lb of potatoes: $1

1 head of cauliflower: $3

seasonings/other: $1

water: $squat

Family of four fed a good, healthy meal for $7 plus maybe 40 minutes' effort.

In ground beef especially, in my experience, the leaner you go, the more expensive you go. 85% lean is cheap, 92% is more, 96% is even more, and buffalo is like $7-8 a pound.

At McDonalds, on the other hand, you can feed a family of 4 off the dollar menu for $8-$12.

The biggest issue that I think people run into is that you get home after a long, tiring day of work and the last thing you want to do is cook. I routinely don't get home from work until 7 or later. After a 10 hour day, I can spend 30 minutes when I get home putting a meal together, or I can stop at Taco Bell on my way home. Personally, the wife and I combat that by trying to make 2-3 different meals on the weekend when we have time so that we are eating healthy leftovers all week, but it's much easier to not do that.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Jan 10, 2013 -> 01:21 PM)
Anyone can figure out how to make a meal. Go to the library and read a book, use the internet from the library, there are many options. The parent raising 3 kids can go for a walk. If health is the issue, they can find the time.

Time is a factor as well. Going to the library takes time, learning how to cook takes time, getting the necessary cooking utensils and tools takes time and money. The parent raising three kids by themselves might struggle to find time to go to the store, learn to cook, raise their kids, work, exercise, etc. etc.

It's a hell of a lot easier for some people to make the 'right' choices than it is for others is all I'm saying. Think about what advantages you might enjoy and might take for granted before you cast a moral judgement that someone's being lazy, dumb, irresponsible etc.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jan 10, 2013 -> 02:32 PM)
You mean my free time? Cooking is annoying. It means that I have to use my entire kitchen. It means that I have to clean dishes. I have to fight cats as they try and eat the food. Its really not enjoyable. When I decide to finish working for the day, I dont like to come home and work more. Its the same reason why people pay a house cleaner or any other service industry. Its called opportunity cost.

This.

Cooking at home is a lot easier said than done when talking about the poor. Not everyone has the luxury of having a completely functioning stove/oven, a well stocked kitchen of pots & pans and utensils, and all the spices and accoutrements needed for cooking. All of that costs a lot of money and, like others have mentioned, requires the time to actually cook which many people might not have because of mulitiple jobs.

QUOTE (CrimsonWeltall @ Jan 10, 2013 -> 01:20 PM)
Do you really view every hour of your day in this manner? If you watch an hour of tv, do you see it as $100 lost?

And it's cool for you if you have a job where you make $100/hour (and can apparently work unlimited hours if you choose to), but that's simply not the case for the vast, vast majority of people.

I actually do view my entire day that way. My day is apportioned by what I have to do. X hours sleeping, Y hours working, Z hours traveling to work, Q hours having fun.

I work so that I can watch as many hours of tv, post on the internet or do whatever I want to with my time. I dont work so I can go home, pretend im on top chef, then pretend on im on kitchen nightmares, so I can save $5 a day. It just makes no economic sense, and this is from someone who is considered pretty miserly (for lunch I will walk to a McDonalds to buy a drink to save $1, but that is because I am on lunch and already being paid for that time so its entirely profit).

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jan 10, 2013 -> 08:28 PM)
forty minutes of time (plus cleanup?) might be a luxury for someone workings two jobs or long hours, whether it's just to get by or because they're trying to make partner at the firm.

If you want to eat healthy and cheaply, you can find time. Spent some time on the weekend making a large amount of food to be saved and eaten during the week.

You can't tell me the only alternative is a double quarter pounder and a 64 oz slurpee.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jan 10, 2013 -> 01:17 PM)
$20 at mcdonalds is probably getting you 500-1000 calories per person. Thats a ton of food. The problem is that those people then go and eat more food through out the day, ending up in the 3k calorie range. If they actually just ate fast food reasonably it probably wouldnt even be a problem. Its just some people have either no understanding or no care about how burning calories work and the actual amounts you need to survive. A cheeseburger is 300 calories. That means for less than $10 you can get 2k calories.

Fast food is all sugars and leaves people as hungry or hungrier than they were prior to eating mere minutes later.

QUOTE (CrimsonWeltall @ Jan 10, 2013 -> 01:47 PM)
If you want to eat healthy and cheaply, you can find time. Spent some time on the weekend making a large amount of food to be saved and eaten during the week.

You can't tell me the only alternative is a double quarter pounder and a 64 oz slurpee.

Again if time is the issue, you can get a salad and water from McDonalds.

QUOTE (illinilaw08 @ Jan 10, 2013 -> 08:33 PM)
In ground beef especially, in my experience, the leaner you go, the more expensive you go. 85% lean is cheap, 92% is more, 96% is even more, and buffalo is like $7-8 a pound.

At McDonalds, on the other hand, you can feed a family of 4 off the dollar menu for $8-$12.

And I just proposed a chicken/potato/cauliflower meal for $7.

QUOTE (illinilaw08 @ Jan 10, 2013 -> 08:33 PM)
The biggest issue that I think people run into is that you get home after a long, tiring day of work and the last thing you want to do is cook. I routinely don't get home from work until 7 or later. After a 10 hour day, I can spend 30 minutes when I get home putting a meal together, or I can stop at Taco Bell on my way home. Personally, the wife and I combat that by trying to make 2-3 different meals on the weekend when we have time so that we are eating healthy leftovers all week, but it's much easier to not do that.

Well, sure. After I get off work, cooking a nice meal, doing the dishes, and helping my son with his homework isn't exactly relaxing, but I do it.

The better option requires more effort? That's true for almost everything in life.

QUOTE (CrimsonWeltall @ Jan 10, 2013 -> 01:47 PM)

I've never said that it is impossible to find time or eat healthier, probably for the majority of people and across the class spectrum. I said that what choices you can make and ultimately choose are influenced, pressured and constrained by outside forces to various extents. I can't buy what isn't offered for sale, I can't buy what I can't afford, and whatever I do choose to buy is going to be influenced by a whole host of external factors.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 10, 2013 -> 11:50 AM)
Again if time is the issue, you can get a salad and water from McDonalds.

Most people don't view salads as a satisfying meal. People will typically pick a sandwich or burger instead if they're very hungry since those seems like a better value for your money. And those fatty alternatives are addicting.