Official 2013-2014 NCAA Football Thread

Notre Dame has averaged playing roughly 3 big 10 schools a year. So the ACC gets 2 more games, and had to give ND a shot at the ACC bowl bid.

That is called trade rape.

Big 10 is going to lose some of their games as a result of the deal, so it's really a +3-4 games for the ACC and not just +2.

Also, the bowl bid is a bit less important now that there is a playoff.

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Feb 19, 2013 -> 03:51 PM)
Have you seen this confirmed anywhere? its hard to tell if its a rumor or true. The guy from 24/7 Maryland has been legit before, but some of the fake guys are running this too so hard to tell.

Yes, a very good source from 11 warriors reported it. Looks like its legit. I know OSU has been all over NC and VA for football talent the last year or so and Georgia is obvious.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Feb 19, 2013 -> 03:55 PM)
Big 10 is going to lose some of their games as a result of the deal, so it's really a +3-4 games for the ACC and not just +2.

Also, the bowl bid is a bit less important now that there is a playoff.

The bowl bids are worth like $10-20mil, so Im pretty sure that is important.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Feb 19, 2013 -> 04:13 PM)
So basically college athletics is going to be two conferences - "East" and "West"

So lame.

Not all of college athletics. Its going to be basically like when Illinois or another state adds a new division (I think it was 6a) for the really big schools.

Youll just have more divisions.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Feb 19, 2013 -> 04:19 PM)
"East" & "West" is better than "SEC" & "everyone else" :huh

I assume eventually the Big10 will get the leverage to outlaw over-signing and then there wont be much difference between the SEC and everyone else.

Its just much easier when you get to sign more recruits than other leagues.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Feb 19, 2013 -> 04:28 PM)
Rock,

That Ermann guy was involved in the MD story break, so at least he has some track record.

Thats what I saw too. UVA and GT make sense for what they are trying to do which is expand markets and add academic value.

3 invites makes sense too, it leaves 1 invite for schools named Duke, ND or other to take 18.

If the Big10 goes to 10 game IC, with 9 team divisions. Youd have 8 games in division and 2 games against other division. That would ensure that everyone plays at least 1 time every 5 years.

Fun fact: Iowa State would have been fourth in the ACC in attendance. Doesn't say as much about ISU as I think it does about the ACC.

Texas 100,884

Oklahoma 85,243

Clemson 79,429

Florida State 75,601

Virginia Tech 65,632

Texas Tech 57,209

Oklahoma State 56,557

West Virginia 55,916

Iowa State 55,274

NC State 54,106

North Carolina 50,286

Kansas State 50,278

Louisville 49,991

Miami 47,719

Virginia 46,650

TCU 46,047

Georgia Tech 43,955

Pittsburgh 41,494

Kansas 41,329

Baylor 41,194

Syracuse 37,953

Boston College 37,020

Maryland 36,023

Wake Forest 28.912

Duke 28,170

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Feb 19, 2013 -> 04:39 PM)
3 invites makes sense too, it leaves 1 invite for schools named Duke, ND or other to take 18.

If the Big10 goes to 10 game IC, with 9 team divisions. Youd have 8 games in division and 2 games against other division. That would ensure that everyone plays at least 1 time every 5 years.

That actually makes alot more sense now that you list it out like that. Add in the high profile OOC games that they are trying to schedule (2 per year) and it starts to look like reality.

Edited by RockRaines

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Feb 19, 2013 -> 04:45 PM)
That actually makes alot more sense now that you list it out like that. Add in the high profile OOC games that they are trying to schedule (2 per year) and it starts to look like reality.

Gotta wonder where the B1G ultimately stops. At a certain amount of teams or where the money doesn't keep growing.

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Feb 19, 2013 -> 04:56 PM)
Gotta wonder where the B1G ultimately stops. At a certain amount of teams or where the money doesn't keep growing.

There are 4 potential stops.

14, 16, 18 and 20.

20 is an interesting number for the Big 10. You then have 2 10 team divisions. This could create an "Old 10" division and a "New 10" division.

There would be some balance because youd have Nebraska/PSU + new friends to counterbalance Michigan/OSU + old friends.

The other bonus of this is that the "old 10" play every year all the time. They then get 1 fun game against a "new 10" so their fans wont be b****ing about never playing their old rivals. The new guys will get a chance to create new rivals. The obvious problem is Nebraska is on the wrong side of the country, but oh well its 1 outlier.

I personally believe that the number is going to be 16, unless they can get 2 other schools they really want. After that it gets too big, and unless you go to 20, you are going to end up with some really unhappy fanbases.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Feb 19, 2013 -> 05:02 PM)
There are 4 potential stops.

14, 16, 18 and 20.

20 is an interesting number for the Big 10. You then have 2 10 team divisions. This could create an "Old 10" division and a "New 10" division.

There would be some balance because youd have Nebraska/PSU + new friends to counterbalance Michigan/OSU + old friends.

The other bonus of this is that the "old 10" play every year all the time. They then get 1 fun game against a "new 10" so their fans wont be b****ing about never playing their old rivals. The new guys will get a chance to create new rivals. The obvious problem is Nebraska is on the wrong side of the country, but oh well its 1 outlier.

I personally believe that the number is going to be 16, unless they can get 2 other schools they really want. After that it gets too big, and unless you go to 20, you are going to end up with some really unhappy fanbases.

As of next year Michigan and OSU will be in the same division, I just wonder about the other one.

I wouldn't mind seeing four divisions of 4.

Something like:

1- Nebraska, Iowa, Minnesota, Illinois

2- Wisconsin, NU, Purdue, MSU

3- Michigan, OSU, Indiana, Uva

4- PSU, Rutgers, Maryland, UNC

Not sure how the scheduling would work. Maybe 8 games, play everyone in your division once, and then play another division, rotated by year (ie a plays b year one, a plays c year 3). Have game 8 scheduled home games for two divisions each year, and they match up against another opponent with a road game. Division winners could play each other, acting as a conference semi of sorts.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Feb 19, 2013 -> 05:16 PM)
As of next year Michigan and OSU will be in the same division, I just wonder about the other one.

Yeah 1 division will always be considered stronger and its whatever division OSU is in. Wisconsin basically picked the perfect time to go to 3 Rose Bowls, because they get to move to the perceived weaker division.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Feb 19, 2013 -> 05:19 PM)
I wouldn't mind seeing four divisions of 4.

Something like:

1- Nebraska, Iowa, Minnesota, Illinois

2- Wisconsin, NU, Purdue, MSU

3- Michigan, OSU, Indiana, Uva

4- PSU, Rutgers, Maryland, UNC

Not sure how the scheduling would work. Maybe 8 games, play everyone in your division once, and then play another division, rotated by year (ie a plays b year one, a plays c year 3). Have game 8 scheduled home games for two divisions each year, and they match up against another opponent with a road game. Division winners could play each other, acting as a conference semi of sorts.

I really dont like the pod system. And if there was going to be a pod system, I would expect that Iowa, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Nebraska would be in the same pod. It wouldnt make much sense to move Illinois to that group.

But I really dislike pod system, I just want 2 divisions.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Feb 19, 2013 -> 05:23 PM)
Yeah 1 division will always be considered stronger and its whatever division OSU is in. Wisconsin basically picked the perfect time to go to 3 Rose Bowls, because they get to move to the perceived weaker division.

I really dont like the pod system. And if there was going to be a pod system, I would expect that Iowa, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Nebraska would be in the same pod. It wouldnt make much sense to move Illinois to that group.

But I really dislike pod system, I just want 2 divisions.

I think they are fairly set on having 2 big divisions with the big title game at the end. They want to be like the SEC with a larger recruiting area and actual academics.

To your unbalanced division comment, I think there are ups and downs and whatnot, but I still believe for whatever reason they want Texas or Oklahoma or both to add to that "west" division. In theory that evens things out quite a bit.

Edited by RockRaines