Bike Lane Right of Way

Texsox

A friend of mine was stopped at a red light, blinker on, waiting to turn right. When the light changed to green she started her right turn and a bike ran into her. The cyclist was not on the road when she pulled up, he turned onto the road from a side street. I've been researching who has the right of way and can't find anything specific to Texas. In California it seems that cars are expected to pull into the bike lane to make their turn (surprised me I thought cars should never be in the bike lane.) He was basically passing a car that was in the process of turning. When she started the turn he was behind her. If bikes have all the same rights as cars, then if cars stay out of the bike lane, cars would be turning through a traffic lane. The cop who responded basically said the cyclist was at fault, but that the report just outlines what happened and would not comment on right of way.

QUOTE (Tex @ Feb 18, 2013 -> 06:45 PM)
A friend of mine was stopped at a red light, blinker on, waiting to turn right. When the light changed to green she started her right turn and a bike ran into her. The cyclist was not on the road when she pulled up, he turned onto the road from a side street. I've been researching who has the right of way and can't find anything specific to Texas. In California it seems that cars are expected to pull into the bike lane to make their turn (surprised me I thought cars should never be in the bike lane.) He was basically passing a car that was in the process of turning. When she started the turn he was behind her. If bikes have all the same rights as cars, then if cars stay out of the bike lane, cars would be turning through a traffic lane. The cop who responded basically said the cyclist was at fault, but that the report just outlines what happened and would not comment on right of way.

One would think the car has the right of way in that situation...I couldn't imagine a car would be expected to turn through incoming bike traffic from the rear...it would make sense for the car to use the bike lane in that instance and the bike to yield (or perhaps pass the car on the left) until the car made the turn...otherwise, imagine if a car was waiting to make the turn while the light was green and the car had to constantly check his mirror to make certain there were no oncoming bikes trying to pass on his right from the rear....that wouldn't make any sense.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Feb 19, 2013 -> 11:07 AM)
One would think the car has the right of way in that situation...I couldn't imagine a car would be expected to turn through incoming bike traffic from the rear...it would make sense for the car to use the bike lane in that instance and the bike to yield (or perhaps pass the car on the left) until the car made the turn...otherwise, imagine if a car was waiting to make the turn while the light was green and the car had to constantly check his mirror to make certain there were no oncoming bikes trying to pass on his right from the rear....that wouldn't make any sense.

Welcome to Minneapolis. It's become second nature for me to check my mirror for bikes when making a right turn or changing lanes.

If there is a marked bike lane with a turn lane on the other side of it, the bikes have full right of way to the lane. Cars are supposed to check before crossing the lane - they will be going faster than the bikes usually, that is why it is done this way. But yes, you do need to check your side mirror for bikes before doing it, in case they are indeed coming from behind. Bikes are also supposed to slow down in that situation though.

As a cyclist who spent multiple summers commuting to work downtown on a bike, I can tell you this scenario is not one of the common ones. The bigger problems are people opening doors to cars without checking the mirror first (did everyone forget that from drivers' ed?), and drivers wandering into the bike lane or stopping in it.

Also, as a cyclist who follows the rules pretty much (just as drivers speed or maybe roll an occasional stop, I have been known to blow a light IF there is literally no traffic), it drives me nuts to see the cyclists who flout the laws and piss off drivers. It causes anger, which in turn drivers take out on ALL cyclists, even if we are trying to be reasonable.

I'd be ecstatic if CPD started making a real effort to crack down on car-bicycle law scofflaws, both in cars and on bikes.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Feb 19, 2013 -> 03:57 PM)
If there is a marked bike lane with a turn lane on the other side of it, the bikes have full right of way to the lane. Cars are supposed to check before crossing the lane - they will be going faster than the bikes usually, that is why it is done this way. But yes, you do need to check your side mirror for bikes before doing it, in case they are indeed coming from behind. Bikes are also supposed to slow down in that situation though.

As a cyclist who spent multiple summers commuting to work downtown on a bike, I can tell you this scenario is not one of the common ones. The bigger problems are people opening doors to cars without checking the mirror first (did everyone forget that from drivers' ed?), and drivers wandering into the bike lane or stopping in it.

Also, as a cyclist who follows the rules pretty much (just as drivers speed or maybe roll an occasional stop, I have been known to blow a light IF there is literally no traffic), it drives me nuts to see the cyclists who flout the laws and piss off drivers. It causes anger, which in turn drivers take out on ALL cyclists, even if we are trying to be reasonable.

I'd be ecstatic if CPD started making a real effort to crack down on car-bicycle law scofflaws, both in cars and on bikes.

The biker who circles in front of the line of cars waiting to blow a light angers me to no end.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Feb 19, 2013 -> 03:57 PM)

I was actually doored today. Anyway, I'm not sure who has the right of way in that situation. I always pull behind the car and pass on the left. The problem is that cars will speed up to get in front of a cyclist, and cut him off while turning right. It happens to me daily and it's the one thing that will cause me to be irate. Cars need to show some patience. Your fat ass is chilling in a warm car, texting and listening to The Beatles. Give the cyclist a break, pull behind him and turn right properly. People don't speed up to turn right, in front of other cars.

A big issue is that cops don't know the laws either. The 3 foot berth is never, ever enforced. I don't know how many times a day a car buzzes me while I dodge a pothole. That's why they're supposed to allow 3 feet. In my experience, cops will always side with the driver, unless they're bike cops. It really is a free for all.

I've also found that the more passive a cyclist is, the more brazen a car will be. It's one of the reasons bikers ride like assholes. For an experienced cyclist, it's safer.

I don't want to even get started on the embarrassing failure the segregated bike lanes have been.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Feb 19, 2013 -> 04:32 PM)
Because its illegal and dangerous. Other than that, no big deal.

LOL. I think it makes the person look like an idiot. It's not dangerous. Usually people doing illegal, idiotic things like riding around in circles don't anger me. That's like being angry at the drunk guy walking down the street. He's annoying and breaking the law, but harmless.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Feb 19, 2013 -> 04:19 PM)
I thought bicyclists had to follow the same rules of the road as a car in a situation like that

They are supposed to but never do. They ride the wrong way down the street cut through lights in front of cars, whatever they want to do. I ride my bike in Chicago and try to stay away from cars not cut in front of them like an idiot.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Feb 19, 2013 -> 04:19 PM)
I thought bicyclists had to follow the same rules of the road as a car in a situation like that

True, except when there is a bike lane, then that changes things. If no bike lane, then a bike is essentially a car.

Also, I do agree with one point made above - you kind of have to be at least somewhat defensive of your lane on the bike. If you don't "own" your lane, drivers think that means they can squeeze past you in said lane.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Feb 19, 2013 -> 04:38 PM)
True, except when there is a bike lane, then that changes things. If no bike lane, then a bike is essentially a car.

Also, I do agree with one point made above - you kind of have to be at least somewhat defensive of your lane on the bike. If you don't "own" your lane, drivers think that means they can squeeze past you in said lane.

You are allowed to take a regular lane even when a bike lane is present.

QUOTE (TaylorStSox @ Feb 19, 2013 -> 04:39 PM)
Bikes have the same rights as cars and follow the same laws. Some areas allow rolling stops though.

They are SUPPOSED to follow the same laws, but most dont. It is also illegal for adults to ride on sidewalks, but I still seem them zipping down scaring the s*** out of pedestrians.

So if you are sitting at a light waiting for it to change so you can turn right you should continuously be checking the bike lane? The cyclist passed a car with their blinker on getting ready to turn right. It seems crazy that a bike can pass a car like that and claim the right of way.

QUOTE (Tex @ Feb 19, 2013 -> 08:11 PM)
So if you are sitting at a light waiting for it to change so you can turn right you should continuously be checking the bike lane? The cyclist passed a car with their blinker on getting ready to turn right. It seems crazy that a bike can pass a car like that and claim the right of way.

That's obviously the biker's fault. The biker should have either stopped or moved to left of the car to pass. It would be the same for a car. You can't pass on the right side of a car turning right. Common sense.