Big 10 Tournament Thread

• Replies 515
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Mar 10, 2013 -> 08:41 PM)
Hey, look at Michigan playing on the first day with Penn State, Northwestern, and Nebraska!

And a couple other teams who will also be in the NCAA tourney.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Mar 11, 2013 -> 12:14 PM)
Illinois v. Minnesota - which s***ty team shows up to play?

Good question. I'm not sure, but at least it'll only cost me $7 to watch it. And bonus Michigan/PSU which I'll stick around for unless it turns into a blowout.

If we win it'll cost a lot more to get in Friday morning.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Mar 11, 2013 -> 01:04 PM)
Good question. I'm not sure, but at least it'll only cost me $7 to watch it. And bonus Michigan/PSU which I'll stick around for unless it turns into a blowout.

If we win it'll cost a lot more to get in Friday morning.

Wait what tickets were only $7? That can't be right...

I didn't even look into it, I knew I wouldn't be able to make it down to Chicago this weekend.

QUOTE (farmteam @ Mar 11, 2013 -> 01:26 PM)
Wait what tickets were only $7? That can't be right...

I didn't even look into it, I knew I wouldn't be able to make it down to Chicago this weekend.

Stubhub has $5 tickets for Thursday's sessions. For the rest of the weekend, it's at least $60-$75 to get in the door.

QUOTE (farmteam @ Mar 11, 2013 -> 02:14 PM)
Ah I see. Krush did say Thursday, but my addled brain read that as Friday.

Well I said Friday in the last sentence, maybe that's what you saw. Thursday early session (and I guess late session) are usually ones where you can get cheap tickets on the secondary market. Friday's sessions will be way higher, as will the rest of the weekend.

However, a good way to get tickets a bit cheaper for Saturday/Sunday is to immediately go to the fans of the team that lost, while in the arena, and offer cash. They have a small window to get rid of those tickets and they can get cash on the spot - kind of hard to turn down and try to get more on stubhub or something. Same thing works in the NCAA tournament.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Mar 11, 2013 -> 02:17 PM)
doesn't Stubhub charge a minimum $5 fee per ticket, plus delivery or pick up charge?

Yeah, it's something like $15 to pick them up, which is ridiculous. I also hate how Stubhub, when you can have it shipped, costs $15 for Fedex. I stayed away from Stubhub this time, kind of feels odd to pay maybe $25 to get a $5 ticket.

Edited by IlliniKrush

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Mar 11, 2013 -> 02:35 PM)
Penn St says "hey, worry about us first" ;)

I think on a neutral floor they'll crush them, but who knows.

Ill retract my earlier comment and add "If Michigans wins Thursday...", before it.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Mar 11, 2013 -> 01:24 PM)
Well I said Friday in the last sentence, maybe that's what you saw. Thursday early session (and I guess late session) are usually ones where you can get cheap tickets on the secondary market. Friday's sessions will be way higher, as will the rest of the weekend.

However, a good way to get tickets a bit cheaper for Saturday/Sunday is to immediately go to the fans of the team that lost, while in the arena, and offer cash. They have a small window to get rid of those tickets and they can get cash on the spot - kind of hard to turn down and try to get more on stubhub or something. Same thing works in the NCAA tournament.

Yeah, it's something like $15 to pick them up, which is ridiculous. I also hate how Stubhub, when you can have it shipped, costs $15 for Fedex. I stayed away from Stubhub this time, kind of feels odd to pay maybe $25 to get a $5 ticket.

On that note, and I hope I do not have to resort to this. But what is the best way to sell tickets on the secondary market on short notice? What if I need to move my 4 tickets to the Indy Regional living in Alabama?

QUOTE (Rex Hudler @ Mar 11, 2013 -> 05:00 PM)
On that note, and I hope I do not have to resort to this. But what is the best way to sell tickets on the secondary market on short notice? What if I need to move my 4 tickets to the Indy Regional living in Alabama?

Well I don't think you'll have to worry about it ahead of time. Like you said, you should get that regional. If you don't you get the regional you have time to put them online like stubhub, etc. Same thing if you somehow lose in the round of 32, you have time to use a place like stubhub. That or you can go directly to message boards of those teams and see if people are looking for tickets.

Now, the more likely scenario is you lose in the sweet 16 and don't need the elite 8 tickets. To be safe, I'd bring them with to the game, you may be able to sell them to the winning team's (or the other winning team if they played before your game) fans on the spot.

Another thing you could try is using your hotel concierge. When we lost in the exact scenario I referenced above, our concierge knew fans in the hotel looking for extra tickets when the game was over. Within a few hours we had cash for the tickets, and could check out of the hotel the next day without worrying about it.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Mar 11, 2013 -> 04:24 PM)
Well I don't think you'll have to worry about it ahead of time. Like you said, you should get that regional. If you don't you get the regional you have time to put them online like stubhub, etc. Same thing if you somehow lose in the round of 32, you have time to use a place like stubhub. That or you can go directly to message boards of those teams and see if people are looking for tickets.

Now, the more likely scenario is you lose in the sweet 16 and don't need the elite 8 tickets. To be safe, I'd bring them with to the game, you may be able to sell them to the winning team's (or the other winning team if they played before your game) fans on the spot.

Another thing you could try is using your hotel concierge. When we lost in the exact scenario I referenced above, our concierge knew fans in the hotel looking for extra tickets when the game was over. Within a few hours we had cash for the tickets, and could check out of the hotel the next day without worrying about it.

I did that last year in Atlanta and some Kentucky fan offered me 20 each for two tickets. I'd have sold them for $40, but I wasn't about to practically give them away to some blow hard Kentucky fan so I took them back to Birmingham and tried to give them away. No one took them so I ate them. Face value was $60 each. Oh well. The Big Blue can go to hell! :D

QUOTE (Rex Hudler @ Mar 11, 2013 -> 05:28 PM)
I did that last year in Atlanta and some Kentucky fan offered me 20 each for two tickets. I'd have sold them for $40, but I wasn't about to practically give them away to some blow hard Kentucky fan so I took them back to Birmingham and tried to give them away. No one took them so I ate them. Face value was $60 each. Oh well. The Big Blue can go to hell! :D

Haha, I respect you more for that.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Mar 11, 2013 -> 04:38 PM)
Haha, I respect you more for that.

:D I just looked on Stub Hub and tickets in my section in higher rows are starting at $250 a ticket. Doubt it will stay that way if IU doesn't get sent then. Will likely be a flood of tickets available at that point.

QUOTE (Rex Hudler @ Mar 11, 2013 -> 05:51 PM)
:D I just looked on Stub Hub and tickets in my section in higher rows are starting at $250 a ticket. Doubt it will stay that way if IU doesn't get sent then. Will likely be a flood of tickets available at that point.

Yeah, it'd be pennies on the dollar that point. IU fans likely own 3/4 of the arena at this point. Like we were talking about earlier, if IU lost the sweet 16 game, the elite 8 ticket would be such an easy ticket for the fans of the 2 teams involved.