Big 10 Tournament Thread

• Replies 515
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Illinois is going to suck next year unless the freshmen play well above their rankings. That is a really good class but none of those guys appear to be instant impact players. But the talent that will be left on the roster from Weber for next year is awful. Just absolutely dreadful.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Mar 14, 2013 -> 01:02 PM)
Woo what an ending.

Tubby Smith please pick up your pick slip at the front desk.

I never really thought about it before, but he has zero seasons above .500 in conference and zero tournament wins (so far) at Minnesota. That's pretty embarrassing for a guy with his reputation.

I wonder if an Iowa win against NW gets them in, with Minnesota now out?

Seems the Gophers are usually in the Top 20 at some point in a season and completely fade out.

Probably, Iowa would need to be MSU to seal it, a huge task. If they would have only beaten Nebraska on the road or not had a ball that was halfway down rim out against WI and then go on to lose in double OT, it would already be a done deal unless they somehow managed to lose to the Wildcats.

It would be the first time in the NCAA's since 2006, when we lost to one of those direction Lousiana schools with an almost 20 point lead in the 2nd half and a 3 seed (Horner, Brunner, Haluska team, can't remember if Tyler Smith was also on it).

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Mar 14, 2013 -> 01:13 PM)
Minny is so predictable. s*** they were top 10 at one point. With that home court advantage they really should finish better than they do every year.

I'm guessing it's 50/50 right now whether Tubby comes back, really depends on how they do in the tourney.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Mar 14, 2013 -> 01:09 PM)

Seems the Gophers are usually in the Top 20 at some point in a season and completely fade out.

Probably, Iowa would need to be MSU to seal it, a huge task. If they would have only beaten Nebraska on the road or not had a ball that was halfway down rim out against WI and then go on to lose in double OT, it would already be a done deal unless they somehow managed to lose to the Wildcats.

It would be the first time in the NCAA's since 2006, when we lost to one of those direction Lousiana schools with an almost 20 point lead in the 2nd half and a 3 seed (Horner, Brunner, Haluska team, can't remember if Tyler Smith was also on it).

I saw one of those "bracketologists" on TV the other day. He claimed not only would Iowa have to beat MSU, they would have to get to Sunday to get in. They were so close to being a really good team this season. I think they lost 5 conference games where they had the lead the last 2 minutes. Its one of the pitfalls of having a young team. They should be really good next year. Only losing May, and supposedly Uthoff has been their best player in practice, although that usually is the standard line for guys who aren't playing, and Jok seems to be a pretty good recruit. He was really highly thought of as an 8th grader. Supposedly Weber offered him a scholarship. Injured his knee, had surgery and really struggled. Apparently the surgery was botched up. Had another surgery and was really good this year. He lives in Des Moines but I think he's from the Sudan. Maybe he can be Loul Deng II.

Minnesota is not out and is still ridiculously far ahead of Iowa. A win against NW does absolutely nothing for Iowa other than give them a chance at a good win tomorrow. They have to beat MSU to even be considered for the tourney and I'm not sure that does it. They may need to make the finals.

Minny is still in over Iowa, Iowa would need a huge run here and eve nthen Minny probably still makes the tourney and the BIG would have 8.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Mar 14, 2013 -> 01:18 PM)
They were safe before that game but now they should be looking at a 7 seed or higher.

I would drool over a 7 or better seed, seriously didn't think this team was going to make it at all going into the season.

QUOTE (farmteam @ Mar 14, 2013 -> 01:25 PM)
Iowa is my dark horse to win the Big Ten next year.

Depends entirely on who goes pro. The conference could be pretty bad next year if a lot of the underclassmen that will be first round picks leave. You could conceivably have Oladipo, Zeller, Thomas, Harris, Payne and Burke all go pro (and it wouldn't be completely shocking if guys like Hardaway or Robinson III take a crack either) which would leave you without a single top tier team in the Big 10 for next year.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Mar 14, 2013 -> 12:35 PM)
Illinois is going to suck next year unless the freshmen play well above their rankings. That is a really good class but none of those guys appear to be instant impact players. But the talent that will be left on the roster from Weber for next year is awful. Just absolutely dreadful.

It's way too early to say that. Rice is going to be pretty big addition and I think Egwu is going to be a force next year. We also don't know about transfers (5th year seniors), how the freshmen will be, and other player progressions (Henry, Abrams, etc).