ST: 3/11 vs Rockies- Sale starting

flavum

QUOTE (flavum @ Mar 11, 2013 -> 01:53 PM)
Nope. I think the bench is pretty much set- Gimenez, Sanchez, Wise, and Gillaspie.

First callup between Tekotte and Danks? I'd go Tekotte.

Mitchell having a really good spring. If his first few months at AAA go well. He could be next though we don't want him wasting away on the bench. OTOH he's a dynamic ballplayer.

Sale 5 IP, Faced the minimum, 2K's

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 11, 2013 -> 04:50 PM)
Its not about innings, it is about pitch count. Innings are meaningless in spring training.

It's funny that it changes during the regular season. 6 IP, 80 pitches is very different than 6 IP, 120 pitches, yet teams only seem to look at IP when protecting their young starters.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Mar 11, 2013 -> 05:11 PM)
It's funny that it changes during the regular season. 6 IP, 80 pitches is very different than 6 IP, 120 pitches, yet teams only seem to look at IP when protecting their young starters.

Plus how many throws between innings, and at what effort level?

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Mar 11, 2013 -> 06:11 PM)

I don't feel like that's been the case with our guys, they usually seem to focus on that ~100 pitch mark as the time to take guys out.

Innings is a little easier to compare across pitchers and it's really useful in telling a pitcher's value (you clearly want the guy who throws more innings successfully), so innings gets used as a stat a lot.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Mar 11, 2013 -> 05:11 PM)

I won't question the White Sox when it comes to how to get their pitchers ready.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Mar 11, 2013 -> 05:13 PM)
I don't feel like that's been the case with our guys, they usually seem to focus on that ~100 pitch mark as the time to take guys out.

Innings is a little easier to compare across pitchers and it's really useful in telling a pitcher's value (you clearly want the guy who throws more innings successfully), so innings gets used as a stat a lot.

It's not just IP per start, it's also the intensity of the pitches. A 25-pitch inning where you load the bases with no one out puts more stress on your arm than a 25-pitch inning where you walk the 8-hitter.