6/1 Games

flavum

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Jun 2, 2013 -> 12:52 AM)
Semien starting to heat it up. Up to .279 with .380 OBP.

Rangel Ravelo continues to hit. Hitting .386 at W-S. Still needs to show some pop though, especially for a 1B.

Semien seems to be making his way up the ladder very nicely. He's versatile in the field and can hit a little bit.

At the very least, I think he'll play in the majors some day. I can't say that about Walker and Mitchell.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Jun 2, 2013 -> 12:52 AM)
Semien starting to heat it up. Up to .279 with .380 OBP.

Rangel Ravelo continues to hit. Hitting .386 at W-S. Still needs to show some pop though, especially for a 1B.

I like Semien, I really hope he makes it to the majors. But he's had one good game the past two weeks, cooling down considerably.

I also can't take Ravelo seriously. He's a good contact hitter playing in a power position. But he has hit exactly 3 homeruns in 900 minor league plate appearances. That's unheard of for a 6'2" 210 lb guy.

It seems as if there is very little actual player development/coaching in the Sox system. They seem to just let them play and the players will sort themselves out. It doesn't seem to be working. Almost every top 20 position player has regressed except Siemens, Thompson, Black, Wilkins and Phegley too) and only Siemens or Phegley will do anything in the majors. Thats for an entire minor league system - one guy. I'm a huge Sox fan but I have never seen a minor league system so devoid of talent.

QUOTE (Jimbo1965 @ Jun 2, 2013 -> 12:47 PM)
I'm a huge Sox fan but I have never seen a minor league system so devoid of talent.

Really? How long have you been a Sox fan? Because this sentence could have been written as far back as 2006.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 2, 2013 -> 01:00 PM)
Really? How long have you been a Sox fan? Because this sentence could have been written as far back as 2006.

Last year, prior to the draft, had to be the worst state of the system. Back in the mid 2000s there were decent prospects here and there, but last year was abysmal.

QUOTE (Cerbaho-WG @ Jun 2, 2013 -> 01:04 PM)
Last year, prior to the draft, had to be the worst state of the system. Back in the mid 2000s there were decent prospects here and there, but last year was abysmal.

I think that's right. However, the performances of the prospects this year is as bad as I can remember.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Jun 2, 2013 -> 02:42 PM)
I think that's right. However, the performances of the prospects this year is as bad as I can remember.

There have been a lot of ranked guys, and ones just outside, that have had lousy years. It has been tough to watch. Taking a look at the T25, if you were to do a VERY basic breakdown...

Guys doing poorly vs expectations: Hawkins, Castro, Sanchez, Barnum***, Rienzo, Walker, Mitchell, Molina, S Rod, Marinez, DeMichele, Petricka, Olacio, Smith

Guys going OK-ish: Thompson, Beck, Snodgress, Leesman, Saladino, Semien (could be considered better),

Guys doing well or better than expectations: Johnson, Phegley

I left out Omogrosso because he's on the club. Ravelo also is weird to rank, he's hitting very well for contact and OBP, but is now a 1B with no power so he effectively moves down. Soptic was traded.

For guys just outside... Brennan has been getting hammered, Hansen has shown flashes, Wilkins is heating up a bit, Shoemaker is injured, most of the Coop Will Fix Em pitchers are injured or gone... ouch. Jaye, Coats, Micah Johnson, Earley, and Webb have been the pleasant surprises and should move up the list.

Overall, that is a lot more bad than good.

QUOTE (bbilek1 @ Jun 3, 2013 -> 04:01 PM)
Santos Rodriguez has been very good I thought? Reasons for his inclusion on the bad list?

13 BB in 15 IP, and a reduced K rate, in AA, after pitching in AAA late last year. Major control issues. Also has been hurt this year, though he's back now.

I guess you could say he's OK, because he is not giving up hits. But clearly he's a little all over the place.