White Sox draft thread: Day Two

southsider2k5

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Round 3 is still too early to draft on need. Though in a relatively weak draft class, by later Top 10 rounds, it might be that time.

To me, the most glaring hole in the Sox system (and it has many holes) is 3B. Morel and Grabe are the only ones in the system even worth mentioning as prospects (with Morel not even qualifying), and Grabe is fringe at best.

QUOTE (staxx @ Jun 7, 2013 -> 12:53 PM)
that kid is massive

Yea his power is off the charts.

Some reports on him:

Tellez is a very big, powerful first base prospect with some of the best power in his class. He’s consistently shown the ability to hit the ball out of the yard and consistently square the ball up. His swing is very smooth from the left side and he keeps the barrel in the zone for a long time. In short, he's a classic power first base prospect: the power potential is very high and he's never going to be anything more than adequate in any other aspect of the game. As can be assumed from his frame, he's not a runner and he can't handle any other position. He'll never be more than average at first, but reports indicate that he's improved his athleticism and footwork. It's scary to think about it, but Tellez played in the Area Code Games at age 17 and he's very young for his class. The power potential is very intriguing here, and this USC commit probably won't make it to campusnext fall.

MLB Comparison: Kendrys Morales

A true slugger, Rowdy Tellez is one of the top power bats available in the 2013 MLB Draft.

Big, smooth swing

Easy power

Pulls the ball with authority

Good approach at the plate

Average defensively at first

Moves well for size

Average arm

7.42 recorded 60 time

Very big build

Work ethic is well known

When you think of power-hitting first basemen who swing from the left side of the plate, you tend to think of guys like Prince Fielder, Ryan Howard and, to a somewhat lesser extent, San Diego-era Adrian Gonzalez.

That's the kind of fraternity Rowdy Tellez could join somewhere down the line.

Baseball America (subscription) has Tellez down as the best left-handed power bat in this year's draft class, and their reasoning doesn't require much of an explanation. Just listen to the sound of the ball coming off his bat in the video on your right.

That's some raw power right there, and it's easy power, too. Tellez makes that sound without a ton of effort.

QUOTE (Noonskadoodle @ Jun 7, 2013 -> 12:07 PM)
Yea I have a feeling he will be off the board real early today.

Not sure about his signing situation. Committed to go to USC.

Well we should be able to go below-slot with Danish, so maybe we go a little above with him or Dahl if he's there

QUOTE (Noonskadoodle @ Jun 7, 2013 -> 12:19 PM)
AJ Puk-LHP

Jared King-CF

Cavan Biggio-2B/3B

Wil Crowe-RHP

Rowdy Tellez-1B

Trey Micahlczewski-3B

Daniel Palka-1B

Some guys I have my eyes on.

I would be fine with any of these guys but I would love Rowdy Tellez. Baseball America had him as high as #36 on their top 100.