White Sox draft thread: Day Two

southsider2k5

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Jun 7, 2013 -> 01:50 PM)
Did the Sox get value for their third round pick in your opinion?

In all seriousness, what does this even mean? It honestly makes very little sense to ask a question like that the second a player is drafted in MLB>

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Jun 7, 2013 -> 01:50 PM)
Did the Sox get value for their third round pick in your opinion?

Probably not. You aren't getting value for every pick though. You may take a couple of guys early that will sign easily so you can take other guys later. Why is this so hard to understand? Pretend that Mitchell went in round 3 then if you have too. Holy cow.

QUOTE (Noonskadoodle @ Jun 7, 2013 -> 01:55 PM)
Sox pick almost back up

Rowdy Tellez-1B

Bobby Wahl-RHP

Wil Crowe-RHP

AJ Puk-LHP

Trey Michalczewski-3B

Cavan Biggio-2B/3B

They are all still there :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Shows how much I know.

I don't think there is much of a chance that Wahl or Puk will sign now. Wahl will just go back and play his senior year. Biggio, Michalczewski, or Tellez would all excite me but in all reality I don't know anything.

6'04" 215lbs DOB: 10/04/94 |

Lowry was looked at primarily as a catcher before his fastball velocity spiked last year. He has touched 96 mph this spring, but more regularly throws around 90 mph. Listed at 6-foot-4, 210 pounds, Lowry has excellent size for a right-hander. That and his inexperience on the mound lead scouts to think he will be able to sustain higher velocity down the road as he gets more comfortable as a pitcher. Lowry also throws a slider and splitter, but both are still in their nascent stages. He aggressively attacks hitters and is viewed mostly as a thrower, but there are some signs he is beginning to get a better feel for pitching. Lowry is committed to Texas Tech.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jun 7, 2013 -> 01:48 PM)
I think people get too carried away with rankings. If Law and Mayo had all the answers, they would be running someone's draft. Baseball America uses guys like Phil Rogers to rank guys. Baseball is one sport where individual teams' board vary greatly. If you get one really good player out of a draft and 2 or 3 complementary ones, it's a great draft. For all we know ultimately the best player out of this draft for the White Sox may not have even been selected yet. It does make it fun, but it's really impossible to criticize fairly until a few years from now.

It's obvious by the state of the Sox farm system their drafting process is broken. I believe taking a guy like May in the third round is an example of this.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jun 7, 2013 -> 01:48 PM)
I think people get too carried away with rankings. If Law and Mayo had all the answers, they would be running someone's draft. Baseball America uses guys like Phil Rogers to rank guys. Baseball is one sport where individual teams' board vary greatly. If you get one really good player out of a draft and 2 or 3 complementary ones, it's a great draft. For all we know ultimately the best player out of this draft for the White Sox may not have even been selected yet. It does make it fun, but it's really impossible to criticize fairly until a few years from now.

This should be the first post for the draft thread every year. Just copy it and start the thread with it.

Edited by ptatc

QUOTE (Noonskadoodle @ Jun 7, 2013 -> 02:01 PM)

Lowry was looked at primarily as a catcher before his fastball velocity spiked last year. He has touched 96 mph this spring, but more regularly throws around 90 mph. Listed at 6-foot-4, 210 pounds, Lowry has excellent size for a right-hander. That and his inexperience on the mound lead scouts to think he will be able to sustain higher velocity down the road as he gets more comfortable as a pitcher. Lowry also throws a slider and splitter, but both are still in their nascent stages. He aggressively attacks hitters and is viewed mostly as a thrower, but there are some signs he is beginning to get a better feel for pitching. Lowry is committed to Texas Tech.

It also means a low level of wear and tear on his arm. I like it.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 7, 2013 -> 03:08 PM)
It also means a low level of wear and tear on his arm. I like it.

Is that really a concern for most guys at this age? Like with actual data, something that quantifies pitches thrown at a young age = injuries?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 7, 2013 -> 02:04 PM)
Please everyone else listen to this statement, I was enjoying the information in the thread.

I second this. This thread was, for a while, a good read. Let's get it back on track.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Jun 7, 2013 -> 02:02 PM)
It's obvious by the state of the Sox farm system their drafting process is broken. I believe taking a guy like May in the third round is an example of this.

Go back to the 3rd round of the 2008 draft. If what you say is proof their process is "broken", there are about 27 or 28 teams right there with them.

You want the Sox to totally rebuild, but complain about draft picks you have never seen play, saying someone is not a value pick because he's ranked 200 on someone who is so knowledgable about these things he's not even employed by a team's board.

If the White Sox make you so unhappy all the time, why don't you move on. Life is short. You should find something you enjoy.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 7, 2013 -> 02:10 PM)
Is that really a concern for most guys at this age? Like with actual data, something that quantifies pitches thrown at a young age = injuries?

To me it makes sense. The more mileage, the more worn out parts get.

QUOTE (bbilek1 @ Jun 7, 2013 -> 03:13 PM)
Oakland takes Bobby Wahl. I have seen him as high as 30. He may go back for his senior year.

(Do teams get a compensatory pick in these rounds if a guy doesn't sign? Thanks, don't remember how the rule changed).

QUOTE (Noonskadoodle @ Jun 7, 2013 -> 02:01 PM)

I really, really like the sound of this kid. Big boy, good velocity, fresh pitching arm...this is a great pick. Let's hope he signs (which is something the Sox have proven capable of doing).

Depending on how strongly he's committed to Texas Tech, this is where those "overdrafts" (which really means underslot) comes in handy. You can use the money you save there and make Lowry a little bigger offer if necessary to come off the commit. It's a high risk pick, but if it pans out, he could be a great pitcher.

QUOTE (bbilek1 @ Jun 7, 2013 -> 02:13 PM)
Oakland takes Bobby Wahl. I have seen him as high as 30. He may go back for his senior year.

Keith Law mentioned that Bobby Wahl was looking for around $1.5 million or he'd go back to school.