White Sox draft thread: Day Two

southsider2k5

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 7, 2013 -> 12:52 PM)
That has him listed as an OF and they called him a RHP above?

Not much current info on him :

PRIOR TO LSU

Played the 2010 season at Yavapai (Ariz.) College, batting .267 in 55 games with nine doubles, one triple, three homers, 22 RBI, 24 runs scored and six stolen bases ... worked 10.2 innings on the mound in eight appearances, recording a 1-0 mark with a 2.53 ERA, one save and five strikeouts.

I've seen a few people note this, but other than Danish, the five other picks follow the same type of picks the Sox have made for a few years now: athletic hitters and big, hard-throwing pitchers. I didn't expect the title changes of Hahn and KW to change that because it's the same people in every other major spot in the org.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Jun 7, 2013 -> 04:10 PM)
I've seen a few people note this, but other than Danish, the five other picks follow the same type of picks the Sox have made for a few years now: athletic hitters and big, hard-throwing pitchers. I didn't expect the title changes of Hahn and KW to change that because it's the same people in every other major spot in the org.

The question is, is this obviously the wrong strategy?

The only guy who would have been a position player ready to make the bigs out of that draft strategy would have been Mitchell and he might well have had a shot had he not destroyed a leg.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 7, 2013 -> 03:15 PM)
The question is, is this obviously the wrong strategy?

The only guy who would have been a position player ready to make the bigs out of that draft strategy would have been Mitchell and he might well have had a shot had he not destroyed a leg.

I think it's a great draft strategy. You just have to develop them and pick the right ones. They've done a very good job with the pitchers. Their hitting coaching may not be getting the job done or they are simply drafting the wrong athletes. That doesn't mean the strategy isn't sound.

You can't teach speed.

You can't teach size and fastball velocity (other than delivery refinement, which the Sox are good at).

Give your development staff the most to work with and hope they can teach it and the players can apply it.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Jun 7, 2013 -> 01:10 PM)

The strategy improved a lot the past two years or so anyway. I like what they've done and they have done a good job on the pitching front. The big thing is to see how those big arms ultimately develop at the big league level and to figure out if the Sox can at all figure out how the hell to develop some of these position players.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jun 7, 2013 -> 03:20 PM)
The strategy improved a lot the past two years or so anyway. I like what they've done and they have done a good job on the pitching front. The big thing is to see how those big arms ultimately develop at the big league level and to figure out if the Sox can at all figure out how the hell to develop some of these position players.

Exactly. They used to take a lot of the lower ceiling, more advanced players and that didn't turn out as well. They've definitely had more success with this strategy.

It's not like it's as simple as fast guys never bust or guys with big swings never make it. There are so many factors even after a guy hits pro ball. It's difficult to always pinpoint what the failing is of a prospect that doesn't make it. Different things come into play.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Jun 7, 2013 -> 04:19 PM)
I think it's a great draft strategy. You just have to develop them and pick the right ones. They've done a very good job with the pitchers. Their hitting coaching may not be getting the job done or they are simply drafting the wrong athletes. That doesn't mean the strategy isn't sound.

You can't teach speed.

You can't teach size and fastball velocity (other than delivery refinement, which the Sox are good at).

Give your development staff the most to work with and hope they can teach it and the players can apply it.

I was thinking when I wrote that that "mike Trout would certainly have fit into that description" but the Sox passed on him in favor of mitchell. The Angels got lucky and we got a guy who destroyed a leg.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Jun 7, 2013 -> 01:23 PM)
Exactly. They used to take a lot of the lower ceiling, more advanced players and that didn't turn out as well. They've definitely had more success with this strategy.

It's not like it's as simple as fast guys never bust or guys with big swings never make it. There are so many factors even after a guy hits pro ball. It's difficult to always pinpoint what the failing is of a prospect that doesn't make it. Different things come into play.

I refuse to right off Thompson, Hawkins, or Barnum. All of those guys have some serious upside. I will admit though, that I have very little faith in our organizations ability to develop position players. Almost no good position players have made it up and damn near all of the guys that did had some serious flaws (dating all the way back to Josh Fields, Brian Anderson, and Chris Young and continuing with Viciedo and Beckham (albeit he was ruined at the major league level).

Hard for me to get super mad about Mitchell since he had the big injury but he still hasn't taken the steps forward you'd expect (last years hot start was great but damn did he collapse). Beats the hell out of the days where they were consistently drafting boring guys though.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 7, 2013 -> 03:24 PM)
I was thinking when I wrote that that "mike Trout would certainly have fit into that description" but the Sox passed on him in favor of mitchell. The Angels got lucky and we got a guy who destroyed a leg.

Wait, Trout was available when the Sox picked?

6'03" 210lbs DOB: 02/27/95 | Scouting video

Michalczewski plays shortstop at Jenks, but will almost certainly move to third base as a professional. He has a good approach at the plate and his bat speed allows him to let the ball get deep in the strike zone before starting to swing. Listed at 6-foot-3, 195 pounds, Michalczewski already has good size and projects to have good power. While he is probably destined to move to the hot corner, he is a solid defender with a strong arm and should easily make the transition. Michalczewski is committed to Oklahoma.

Switch Hitting 3rd baseman.

Body: Michalczewski has a solid athletic frame. Physically he doesn’t have much more growing or filling out to do but he is a very physically strong player. He shows great agility and quickness. He has a strong lower half and rounded shoulders.

Swing: Michalczewski has a slightly open stance with most of his weight on his bent back leg. He has his hands about shoulder high with loose grip and a slight bat wiggle. His load is a slight draw back of the hands and a slight weight shift to the back leg. When he strides, it is more towards the plate then the pitcher keeping his front side closed. His swing from the right side is a little longer but it is very fluid and shows quick hands. His swing from the left side shows great bat speed and is very direct to the ball. He shows the ability to hit for a good average and power from both sides of the plate. He shows a very good feel for hitting.

Base running: Michalczewski has plus to above average speed with a 6.7 in the 60. He also shows very good base running skills. He has the ability to be a moderate base stealing threat.

Defense: Michalczewski played all over the infield this season. It is my belief that he will end up settling in at 3B. He has good hands and good reactions to handle 3B. He shows a good strong arm but his footwork needs improvement for him keep under control.

Summary: Trey Michalczewski is one of the must under the radar High School players. He has shown power and the ability to hit for average. He has the ability to have 4 to 5 above average tools. . For me, he is a sleeper on a national level, but the people in Oklahoma already know he can flat out play.

Really hope we can sign him.

The word "projectable" instantly comes to mind when watching a player like Michalczewski. Though he possesses broad frame, height and length, Jenks's shortstop looks like he's swimming in his uniform. He oozes upside with the bat. His hands cover the plate beautifully and explode through the zone. His broad hips and shoulders flip quickly ahead of his bat and he generates plenty of power despite his currently slim physique. Though he plays shortstop in high school, he projects as a third baseman in the pros but some teams my flirt with the idea of him at second if he doesn't totally fill out.

His swing is vicious but clean. He rips through the zone with plus bat speed and great swing plane, generating hard contact with loft. He projects to have plus power down the road and he has the hands and swing to hit for average, as well. He's a bit of a free swinger and needs to polish his approach as he moves to the pro game. That said, his offensive upside is extremely high and will be the reason he is drafted highly.

In the field, he has a big arm for third base and the range to do well there. He's not the smoothest athlete and he can look a little choppy at times. He needs some work, but he the basic traits for average defense are in place. He may not be a perfect prospect right now, but his upside is what has sent his stock shooting upwards. The low minors are littered with similar prospects such as Patrick Wisdom, Travis Harrison, Patrick Leonard and so on, and though such players have only mediocre success rates, Michalczewski's status as a switch-hitter and projectability make him a worthy gamble.

College commitment: Oklahoma

MLB Floor

Given his rawness on both sides of the ball, it's entirely possible Michalczewki will struggle with contact and his defense and flame out in the minors.

MLB Ceiling

There's plenty to dream on here, and he can be a star hitter at third base if he develops properly. His power is plus, and he has the tools to hit for average too, even if he isn't there yet.

Projected Draft Round

If a team falls in love with his upside, Michalczewski could go as high as the supplemental round, and is unlikely to slide past the third.

Will He Sign?

It will take some money, but he'll likely go highly enough to turn pro.

QUOTE (bbilek1 @ Jun 7, 2013 -> 04:29 PM)
Michalczewski, Trey

Love this pick! Switch hitting 3B, signability definitely will come into play here.

This seems like an interesting strategy.

Go for value in rounds 2-3, see who drops that you think you can sign, and then you have your pick of the "Best out of the difficult signs" in rounds 4-5.

QUOTE (2nd_city_saint787 @ Jun 7, 2013 -> 01:27 PM)
Wait, Trout was available when the Sox picked?

I remember writing up an article about how much i liked Mike Trout. Probably somewhere on FutureSox. That said, hard to say if he'd be the same player had he gone through our system. You assume so but never know. People thought he was undersized and didn't have a high ceiling..now he's one of the best athletes and best players in the majors.

QUOTE (Noonskadoodle @ Jun 7, 2013 -> 01:29 PM)
6'03" 210lbs DOB: 02/27/95 | Scouting video

Michalczewski plays shortstop at Jenks, but will almost certainly move to third base as a professional. He has a good approach at the plate and his bat speed allows him to let the ball get deep in the strike zone before starting to swing. Listed at 6-foot-3, 195 pounds, Michalczewski already has good size and projects to have good power. While he is probably destined to move to the hot corner, he is a solid defender with a strong arm and should easily make the transition. Michalczewski is committed to Oklahoma.

Switch Hitting 3rd baseman.

Body: Michalczewski has a solid athletic frame. Physically he doesn’t have much more growing or filling out to do but he is a very physically strong player. He shows great agility and quickness. He has a strong lower half and rounded shoulders.

Swing: Michalczewski has a slightly open stance with most of his weight on his bent back leg. He has his hands about shoulder high with loose grip and a slight bat wiggle. His load is a slight draw back of the hands and a slight weight shift to the back leg. When he strides, it is more towards the plate then the pitcher keeping his front side closed. His swing from the right side is a little longer but it is very fluid and shows quick hands. His swing from the left side shows great bat speed and is very direct to the ball. He shows the ability to hit for a good average and power from both sides of the plate. He shows a very good feel for hitting.

Base running: Michalczewski has plus to above average speed with a 6.7 in the 60. He also shows very good base running skills. He has the ability to be a moderate base stealing threat.

Defense: Michalczewski played all over the infield this season. It is my belief that he will end up settling in at 3B. He has good hands and good reactions to handle 3B. He shows a good strong arm but his footwork needs improvement for him keep under control.

Summary: Trey Michalczewski is one of the must under the radar High School players. He has shown power and the ability to hit for average. He has the ability to have 4 to 5 above average tools. . For me, he is a sleeper on a national level, but the people in Oklahoma already know he can flat out play.

Really hope we can sign him.

This is an exciting pick. Going to be a tough sign but they should have some money to spend based upon some other moves the club made earlier in the draft.

QUOTE (bbilek1 @ Jun 7, 2013 -> 01:34 PM)
This is the type of pick I was alluding to when Marty was ripping our first picks. He may not be signable but there isn't a chance to sign him if we didn't make reaches earlier.

I hope we throw big money at the this kid.

The key to those moves are to get these guys. Sox should have some savings from the 1st 3 rounds (all of our picks should sign for under slot). I fully expect them to be able to sign the other guys that they will have to go above slot on. If they can't, it will make those bad picks as you can't be in the business of wasting picks this early in the draft.