Ventura dispels rumors he wants out

caulfield12

Who cares he is a bad manager who makes bad managing decisions. He doesn't value outs. He tries to setup sacrifices by players who can't, he calls for sacrifices when the players coming up have a low propensity to produce the run from the sacrifice (fly ball or base hit), he trots out guys like Nate Jones who have a high propensity to go ball 1,2,3 in bases loaded situations, he still thinks Matt Thornton must be throwing 97 with a 12.0 K/9, he loves to call for steals ahead of players like Dunn who are true three outcome, negating any value in the steal even if they don't get thrown out. I would prefer him to leave and Rick Hahn to hire someone that fits his bill, someone whose attention to detail and modern metrics is superb. Someone who wants to put in the time to follow an organization and developmental protocol and strategy. Like how Theo hired Sveum or how Cherington hired Farrell. When RV leaves I will cheer.

QUOTE (joeynach @ Jun 9, 2013 -> 01:14 AM)
Who cares he is a bad manager who makes bad managing decisions. He doesn't value outs. He tries to setup sacrifices by players who can't, he calls for sacrifices when the players coming up have a low propensity to produce the run from the sacrifice (fly ball or base hit), he trots out guys like Nate Jones who have a high propensity to go ball 1,2,3 in bases loaded situations, he still thinks Matt Thornton must be throwing 97 with a 12.0 K/9, he loves to call for steals ahead of players like Dunn who are true three outcome, negating any value in the steal even if they don't get thrown out. I would prefer him to leave and Rick Hahn to hire someone that fits his bill, someone whose attention to detail and modern metrics is superb. Someone who wants to put in the time to follow an organization and developmental protocol and strategy. Like how Theo hired Sveum or how Cherington hired Farrell. When RV leaves I will cheer.

Let's see, Ventura is an idiot for putting what was his only lefty in the bullpen into games or Nate Jones. and Theo is a genius because he hired Sveum, a guy who even Cub personnel questioned his overuse of Marmol. Gotcha. What kind of modern metrics tells Sveum to keep sending Edwin Jackson out every 5 days?

And ask people in Toronto what they think of Ferell.

There's an excellent chance that if the players remained the same, there is no one some here would like as the White Sox manager.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Jun 9, 2013 -> 04:13 PM)
It's beyond obvious he doesn't really want to be a manager, and was just doing KW a favor by taking the job.

He's the reluctant dad who acquiesced to pressure to coach youth soccer team because be played in college.

QUOTE (Andy the Clown @ Jun 9, 2013 -> 06:44 PM)
I never said a thing about Nate Jones. I think you have me confused with someone else.

I've always liked Edwin, and I respect the work he did here. He should have been given Danks' contract.

There are some other mitigating factors.

Danks was/is a product of our system, homegrown and a lefty.

Part of it was the loyalty factor and "taking care of our own," showing all the minor leaguers they can be set for life if they perform at the big league level.

Part of it is his age and the fact that psychologically, they needed an anchor for the rotation to replace Buehrle (and not knowing exactly what they had in Chris Sale as a starter, performance or health-wise.)

While Jackson performed as well as Cooper as he has under basically any pitching coach...looking at his erratic career, while it evened out with the White Sox or stabilized, he wasn't the pitcher that you give a 4-5 contract too, unless he was going to be a replacement for Floyd as a 4/5 and not the 2/3 guy those contracts were expecting in terms of performance.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Jun 9, 2013 -> 11:13 AM)
It's beyond obvious he doesn't really want to be a manager, and was just doing KW a favor by taking the job.

That's what it seems like. I just wonder how he seemed to do such a good job for the first 5 months last year? Beginners luck? Or was it just the fact that Ozzie wasn't around anymore?

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jun 9, 2013 -> 08:07 PM)
That's what it seems like. I just wonder how he seemed to do such a good job for the first 5 months last year? Beginners luck? Or was it just the fact that Ozzie wasn't around anymore?

Probably both, and players producing as well. Well that and you can't make as many mistakes with 25 guys as you can with 40, as we saw.

Hell, down the road he could turn into a great manager, who knows. But if he doesn't want to be doing this, it's irrelevant.

Ventura has never said he doesn't want the job. In fact, the only thing he said about it was during spring training when he said he liked it more than he thought. His demeanor hasn't changed. It was the same when he was playing. He basically said the other day, he is managing out his comtract, then they will talk about another. The comclusions being made because he turned down an extension are proposterus.

How it is ovvious to anyone here that he doesn't want the job, is crazy unless you have talked to him and he told you so.

The other thing I don't understand is the Dave Martinez love. The guy has interviewed for several jobs and hasn't been offered one. If standing next to Maddon makes him so skart, how is Ventura so dumb when he has played for Torborg, Lamont, Valentine and Torre?

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jun 10, 2013 -> 05:48 AM)
Ventura has never said he doesn't want the job. In fact, the only thing he said about it was during spring training when he said he liked it more than he thought. His demeanor hasn't changed. It was the same when he was playing. He basically said the other day, he is managing out his comtract, then they will talk about another. The comclusions being made because he turned down an extension are proposterus.

How it is ovvious to anyone here that he doesn't want the job, is crazy unless you have talked to him and he told you so.

The other thing I don't understand is the Dave Martinez love. The guy has interviewed for several jobs and hasn't been offered one. If standing next to Maddon makes him so skart, how is Ventura so dumb when he has played for Torborg, Lamont, Valentine and Torre?

I agree with you D.A. Saying that Robin Ventura doesn't want to manage based on the evidence that we have is not ignorance, it's foolishness.