A's vs Sox

Heads22

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 9, 2013 -> 01:36 PM)
That's why he has to be a starter, and why you can make an argument we could survive and compete in 2014 without Peavy a lot more easily than if we traded Rios/Ramirez.

Definitely. 2011 is when Hector added the screwball and he had pretty much lost it entirely a calendar year later. Impressive that he has gotten by without the pitch that many thought was responsible for his rise through the minors. He has mentioned that the changeup is also new, so even though it isn't good it might be making his fastball better. His curveball is just okay, to me. Might be his best offspeed, though.

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (beautox @ Jun 9, 2013 -> 06:38 PM)
Santiago has great stuff he just needs to challenge them and work off his fast ball better; so far in this game he isn't spotting it very well.

If he could just develop a slow curve or something to get ahead in the count (like Danks yesterday), it would put him in an even great situation to use his fastball up for a strikeout

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 9, 2013 -> 01:38 PM)
Whatever that changeup/screwball is, it needs work :)

It's a shame, as he has a swing and miss fastball

Hector is a rare example of a guy who has a better fastball than reported when he shows up in the big leagues. I remember Lucas Harrell being that way as well.

QUOTE (Jake @ Jun 9, 2013 -> 12:38 PM)
Definitely. 2011 is when Hector added the screwball and he had pretty much lost it entirely a calendar year later. Impressive that he has gotten by without the pitch that many thought was responsible for his rise through the minors. He has mentioned that the changeup is also new, so even though it isn't good it might be making his fastball better. His curveball is just okay, to me. Might be his best offspeed, though.

Which is why having the 8th highest K/9 ratio in all of MLB WITHOUT a great secondary pitch is even more amazing.

Someone doing that with mostly fastballs, you're committing a crime if you're not pushing them to get pitches 2 and 3 in your repertoire down.

It almost seems that Santiago was consumed with having 4-5 pitches (as a minor leaguer) and trying to throw all of them, and, in the process, he didn't perfect any of them....making them all more or less "meh."

When he does throw the screwball, it has a ton of movement, unfortunately, he hasn't mastered the touch and command with it enough to keep hitters completely off his fastball when he gets behind in the count.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 9, 2013 -> 01:41 PM)
Must have been off the end of the bat, as I thought that was another line drive homer.

He just doesn't look right. Does not look like a confident hitter.

QUOTE (Jake @ Jun 9, 2013 -> 06:42 PM)
He just doesn't look right. Does not look like a confident hitter.

In my opinion, he looks like someone who knows he's washed up. It started last season when he started just trying to flare everything to right field, even in situations where a home run was needed, etc.

Edited by fathom

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 9, 2013 -> 01:44 PM)
In my opinion, he looks like someone who knows he's washed up

I've never thought he was an especially mentally tough guy and he just does not have much time to get it turned around. If he has another one of his full season slumps like has in the past, it'll be his last season and rightfully so.

QUOTE (Jake @ Jun 9, 2013 -> 11:39 AM)
Hector is a rare example of a guy who has a better fastball than reported when he shows up in the big leagues. I remember Lucas Harrell being that way as well.

We haven't seen it a lot because of his lack of starts but I think Hector also maintains the speed on his fb too maybe even increasing the speed as the gamed progresses a la Verlander.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 9, 2013 -> 01:39 PM)
If he could just develop a slow curve or something to get ahead in the count (like Danks yesterday), it would put him in an even great situation to use his fastball up for a strikeout

that looks like a slow curve he just got lowrie out infront of, but I agree with you.

QUOTE (beautox @ Jun 9, 2013 -> 01:50 PM)
that looks like a slow curve he just got lowrie out infront of, but I agree with you.

He has one, he just doesn't like to throw it...especially against righties.