2013-2014 NHL thread

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the most discouraging thing to me from last night was before the game I felt so confident after seeing the lineups. These were our getmeover playoff lines.

With the Red Wings series last year, I still felt like we were playing well despite being down 0-3. Blues we weren't but also gave away 2 late late leads.

This series Hawks have run into a buzzsaw. I have to hope it just comes around on them just as quick.

QUOTE (bmags @ May 27, 2014 -> 09:17 AM)
I think the most discouraging thing to me from last night was before the game I felt so confident after seeing the lineups. These were our getmeover playoff lines.

With the Red Wings series last year, I still felt like we were playing well despite being down 0-3. Blues we weren't but also gave away 2 late late leads.

This series Hawks have run into a buzzsaw. I have to hope it just comes around on them just as quick.

They look completely worn out, I wonder if playing our own division first just killed these guys.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ May 27, 2014 -> 10:28 AM)
They look completely worn out, I wonder if playing our own division first just killed these guys.

The Kings have played two 7 game sets. Let's stop making excuses for the Blackhawks; they're just being outplayed.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ May 27, 2014 -> 10:30 AM)
The Kings have played two 7 game sets. Let's stop making excuses for the Blackhawks; they're just being outplayed.

This. They have been their worst enemy in this series. The power play has been beyond awful. The decision making on the ice has been amazingly bad these last couple of games especially.

LA just looks like they want it more.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ May 27, 2014 -> 10:28 AM)

Doesn't hold any weight. Kings have played 2 7 game series against 2 good teams in the Sharks and the Ducks.

Kings are outplaying them, let's just call it what it is. They've had better depth up front, have executed on special teams, and Quick is outplaying Crawford (not that Crawford has played poorly, just that Quick is coming up with some monster saves at crucial times). Hawks have also taken some absolutely mindless penalties that have come back to bite them. Kings have taken a few, but it hasn't hurt them. And faceoffs have also trended downwards, especially on special teams.

We were all hoping the collapse in the third period of game 2 wouldn't be looked back upon as a turning point, but unfortunately it is. You pull out that win, it's 2-2 now and while not comfortable, it's not panic mode. Now there needs to be some sort of other turning point.

Once it got to 3-0 last night the game was over. That Kings team isn't giving that up at home.

Doesn't mean the Hawks can't win 3 straight, but this hasn't been a fluke. Not the same Hawks team as last year, and not the same Kings team as last year either. Anyone who watched the Kings play the past month (and the Hawks for that matter) knows that.

Of course the ignorant Hawks fans were licking their chops for the Kings because "oh we beat them last year" and "who do they even have besides the Kopitar line?" I think that's been answered.

Step one would be turning around the special teams battle (and stop with unnecessary penalties 200 feet from your net). Although maybe that's step 2, as Q finally made some changes that were long overdue for step one. Handzus 4th line center and he didn't play a shift in the 3rd. So he shouldn't be your second line center between Kane and Sharp?

Edited by IlliniKrush

QUOTE (SoxAce @ May 26, 2014 -> 10:39 PM)
Gotta love Sutter having faith in his YOUNG PLAYERS in series, especially at the end of games. Q could learn something from him there. Was not afraid to play Toffoli on the PK or have Pearson protecting a lead late.

Handzus only played 4:28 last night, 2:52 at even strength. It takes desperation time for Q to bench his favorites and mix it up, it may be too little too late.

With the penalty kill sucking it up anyway, what's the point of having Handzus dressing if he plays so little? Give a youngster like Morin a shot to provide a spark or something.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ May 27, 2014 -> 10:30 AM)

I wasnt trying to make excuses they just look slower than the Kings. Whether thats the Kings just being on another level or the Hawks looking worn out it just seems to be the case. This doesnt look like the same team that we saw in previous series.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ May 27, 2014 -> 08:45 AM)
I wasnt trying to make excuses they just look slower than the Kings. Whether thats the Kings just being on another level or the Hawks looking worn out it just seems to be the case. This doesnt look like the same team that we saw in previous series.

How many hockey games have our guys played in the last 16 months or so? Seems like an awful lot, especially considering the Olympics.

QUOTE (iamshack @ May 27, 2014 -> 10:47 AM)
How many hockey games have our guys played in the last 16 months or so? Seems like an awful lot, especially considering the Olympics.

I dont know what the issues is, Seabrook being completely lazy on two goals in the first was something that just shouldnt happen in the conference finals. Admittedly this season defensive lapses have been an issue but that was just horrific for a team that wanted to "turn it on." Then you have dumb mindless penalties when you need to come from behind. They just look spent to me mentally and physically. Of course that could be from trying to keep up with a team that smells blood.

4 more than the Kings have, that's it. And they sent a slew of guys to the Olympics as well.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ May 27, 2014 -> 10:45 AM)

See to me it absolutely does. The Hawks weren't some dominant team in rounds 1 or 2. Now they are playing a team that's at a different level and they can't sleepwalk through periods or entire games.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ May 27, 2014 -> 10:51 AM)
4 more than the Kings have, that's it. And they sent a slew of guys to the Olympics as well.

Adding Gaborik was a genius move compared to what the Hawks did at the deadline.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ May 27, 2014 -> 10:53 AM)
See to me it absolutely does. The Hawks weren't some dominant team in rounds 1 or 2. Now they are playing a team that's at a different level and they can't sleepwalk through periods or entire games.

Yeah but you always think they suck. ;)

In 2011-12 the Kings played 14 more games.

In 2012-13 the Hawks played 5 more games.

In 2013-14 the Kings have played 2 more games.

LA also had 6 Olympians, while the Hawks had 10. Chicago may be wearing down, but that's not an excuse against LA.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ May 27, 2014 -> 10:54 AM)
Adding Gaborik was a genius move compared to what the Hawks did at the deadline.

Very true. Bowman put them in a bad position with the cap. And has failed to address the #2C issue for four years, and it's becoming even more apparent now.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ May 27, 2014 -> 10:57 AM)
Very true. Bowman put them in a bad position with the cap. And has failed to address the #2C issue for four years, and it's becoming even more apparent now.

I still believe they could have had Kesler, and that would have been outstanding.

It would have solved several issues that we are seeing now.

Edited by RockRaines

QUOTE (RockRaines @ May 27, 2014 -> 10:55 AM)
Yeah but you always think they suck. ;)

I don't - but they haven't been "good" this postseason, or even for a lot of the regular season. Have come up clutch when it's mattered to move on, but the flaws have been there. Got a nice draw in round 2 on top of it.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ May 27, 2014 -> 10:54 AM)

At the time, I thought it wasn't the best move given Gaborik has always been a "quiet" goal scorer, never seemed to get them when they mattered. Wow has he proven me wrong.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ May 27, 2014 -> 10:59 AM)
I don't - but they haven't been "good" this postseason, or even for a lot of the regular season. Have come up clutch when it's mattered to move on, but the flaws have been there. Got a nice draw in round 2 on top of it.

They were downright bad against the Wild.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ May 27, 2014 -> 10:58 AM)
I still believe they could have had Kesler, and that would have been outstanding.

It would have solved several issues that we are seeing now.

It would take a hell of a lot to get Vancouver to deal Kesler inside the West and to a rival, and plus, it would probably take Leddy, Saad, a prospect and a few picks, and while I might do that, I don't think the Hawks would.

QUOTE (soxfan49 @ May 27, 2014 -> 07:48 PM)
It would take a hell of a lot to get Vancouver to deal Kesler inside the West and to a rival, and plus, it would probably take Leddy, Saad, a prospect and a few picks, and while I might do that, I don't think the Hawks would.

No way would it take nearly that much, and he's not worth that. But, I'm fine dealing a Leddy this year to try to fill a 2C (if you are going to refuse to play Sharp there).