2013-2014 NHL thread

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Jun 3, 2014 -> 06:14 PM)
I could be totally wrong, but I have hunch it's going to be a very slow and quiet off-season for the Hawks. Hossa is going to be 36, Sharp is going to be 33, and a few of these guys are looking like they have a lot of miles on them. I think Bowman is going to spend most of the off-season trying to lock up Toews and Kane to creative extensions, and give this core one more shot to make a run in 2015. If they fail, that's when you start seeing bigger pieces moved.

Now, you could argue that they should be ahead of the curve and start moving these guys when their value could be higher, and to be honest I wouldn't disagree with that logic, but I just don't see Bowman making any significant changes yet. I think they are one off-season away from that.

Just my hunch.

I don't disagree with this, I just don't like it. I'd like a dman moved for forward depth in the top 6 or 9, but not sure it'll happen. Bowman just keeps saying "I like our team." The problem is some of the issues he didn't address last off season and through this year (2C, offensive depth) came back to haunt them. The bottom 6 was brutal compared to where it was last year or in 2010.

I really hope he doesn't just stand pat and say "well, we were close, so same team again should work."

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jun 3, 2014 -> 07:23 PM)
And that one playoff appearance was awful. We drove up from Champaign and bought tickets at the gate the day of for game 4.. The Hawks were in the midst of a like a 200+ minute goalless streak at the hands of Brent Johnson.

I was at both games 3 and 4. I remember game 3 was sold out and rocking. Game 4 wasn't even a sell out (though close), the top of the 300 level behind the nets and corners wasn't full.

Where were you sitting? Do you remember the brawl in 329/330 at the very end of the game? I was in 326.

And Brent Johnson was a 3rd defensemen that series, his puckhandling was ridiculous.

Edited by IlliniKrush

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jun 3, 2014 -> 07:23 PM)
And that one playoff appearance was awful. We drove up from Champaign and bought tickets at the gate the day of for game 4.. The Hawks were in the midst of a like a 200+ minute goalless streak at the hands of Brent Johnson.

I wonder what it's like not to have lived through the really down dogs*** years and not really caring?

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Jun 3, 2014 -> 06:14 PM)
I could be totally wrong, but I have hunch it's going to be a very slow and quiet off-season for the Hawks. Hossa is going to be 36, Sharp is going to be 33, and a few of these guys are looking like they have a lot of miles on them. I think Bowman is going to spend most of the off-season trying to lock up Toews and Kane to creative extensions, and give this core one more shot to make a run in 2015. If they fail, that's when you start seeing bigger pieces moved.

Now, you could argue that they should be ahead of the curve and start moving these guys when their value could be higher, and to be honest I wouldn't disagree with that logic, but I just don't see Bowman making any significant changes yet. I think they are one off-season away from that.

Just my hunch.

I would agree, but I think if any of them go, it will be Seabrook. Johns, Dahlbeck and Clendening can all play next year and be fine.

Another one could be Oduya for some draft picks.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Jun 3, 2014 -> 03:10 PM)
I bandwagon the s*** out of the Hawks. I pretty much only watch during the playoffs, never before their first cup season. Go out for the big gamesn get wild when they win. I go to the playoff games, helping drive up the price of playoff tickets only to hear "longtime" fans b**** about how they can't afford it anymore. Oh well. Nobody gives a s*** how long you've been a fan.

Exactly. Bandwagon? No s***. This organization was the worst in the world, consistently, for years. Why the hell would they have any fans whatsoever? Why would 20-25 year olds have given a s*** about the Blackhawks when they were 10-15 years old?

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jun 3, 2014 -> 07:52 PM)
I wonder what it's like not to have lived through the really down dogs*** years and not really caring?

Are you somehow bragging about not caring about the down years?

Reaching the top of the mountain feels so much better when you started at the bottom. That goes for any team with any sport. When you live the lows, the highs are higher. I can't imagine what winning a championship feels like when you jump on right at the end, or only when the team is good. Maybe I'll be a Heat fan starting right now and test it. I'm guessing I'll feel nothing.

QUOTE (soxfan49 @ Jun 3, 2014 -> 10:08 PM)
Exactly. Bandwagon? No s***. This organization was the worst in the world, consistently, for years. Why the hell would they have any fans whatsoever? Why would 20-25 year olds have given a s*** about the Blackhawks when they were 10-15 years old?

One reason I hate some of the bandwagon fans is because they were the ones mocking hockey, the Hawks, and fans. Making fun of people for following the team and going to games, or hockey in general. Now? They think the Hawks and hockey are the coolest things ever. Those people can f*** right off.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jun 3, 2014 -> 02:41 PM)
At worst, the puck was contacted level with the cross bar.

Do you know a board we can go to where people who've liked the sport longer than 4 years and tune in beyond the playoffs go? I can't stand it in this thread any longer.

I played pick up hockey for years in Mt. Greenwood at the park on 103rd and Central. I went to a ton of Hawks games. Magnuson, Mikita, Hull, Hull, Nesterenko, DeJardens, Esposito, Savard, etc., including Lloyd Pettit. Yes I lost interest many of the those years the Hawks stunk.

But if you are referring to me and others as bandwagoners shame on you. I know hockey, just didn't give a s*** for many of the Wertz years when the Hawks got taken off TV, etc.

I know hockey is a funny game, but I thought it was reasonably to be somewhat pissed the day after Game Seven in thinking the Hawks let a golden opportunity slip away (2-0 lead at home and not mustering a goal in OT to win it). I'm not mad at the Hawks cause it'd take a pretty big ingrate to be pissed at the team or organization for merely losing after so many Cup titles and parades.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Jun 3, 2014 -> 07:48 PM)
I was at both games 3 and 4. I remember game 3 was sold out and rocking. Game 4 wasn't even a sell out (though close), the top of the 300 level behind the nets and corners wasn't full.

Where were you sitting? Do you remember the brawl in 329/330 at the very end of the game? I was in 326.

And Brent Johnson was a 3rd defensemen that series, his puckhandling was ridiculous.

A brawl does sound familiar but my memory is a bit vague. (There were a lot of roadies drank driving up 57). We were in the 300 near one of the empty corners. Watching game 3 they mentioned that plenty of tickets were still available, so road trip it was.

OT playoff hockey is such a different animal when your team is not involved. This is exciting and intense, but I can watch sitting down and my heart's not beating a million miles a minute. It would be nice if the Ranges could steal this game.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Jun 8, 2014 -> 11:49 AM)
Serious question: Take the 23 players from the Hawks and Kings and put them against the 23 best players from the entire Eastern Conference. How many games do the Hawks/Kings win in a 7 game series?

I would say zero.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jun 7, 2014 -> 10:46 PM)
f***. The KIngs are a hell of a hockey team, but it does seem like they have a major horseshoe stuck up their ass.

This. Getting every bounce it seems.

Can't believe there was no call on the interference on Lundquist after the Hawks got called for it a few times this post season. Hats off. Need breaks to win a cup.

QUOTE (Brian @ Jun 9, 2014 -> 04:52 AM)
This. Getting every bounce it seems.

Can't believe there was no call on the interference on Lundquist after the Hawks got called for it a few times this post season. Hats off. Need breaks to win a cup.

That goal was exactly what I had in my mind when I made that post. That goal changed the game, had they called the interference I think the Rangers win. But like you said, every champion gets a few breaks, I know the Hawks did last year, you need to take advantage of them when they arise.

Real good news for Chicago.

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2014/06...eed-70-million/

It’s no secret that business is booming for the NHL but the numbers are looking a bit better than expected.

Chris Botta of Sports Business Journal reports the league’s national revenue hit $3.7 billion. Botta adds that the new Canadian television deal that kicks in next season will likely bring those totals over $4 billion next near.

With that kind of haul and how it’s linked to the league’s salary cap the original conservative estimate of just under $70 million is likely wrong and James Mirtle of The Globe And Mail points out the cap will likely be around $70.6 million for next season.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jun 9, 2014 -> 10:49 AM)
Makes it easier to swallow the Crawford/Bickell/Bollig deals, especially with the new contracts coming up for 19 & 88.

I don't hate the Crawford deal, but every little bit counts. However, I still think they need to deal Seabrook and maybe even Oduya. With Dahlbeck, Clendening and Johns ready to go, I think they could lose both and still be in decent shape on the backend.

QUOTE (soxfan49 @ Jun 9, 2014 -> 12:56 PM)
I don't hate the Crawford deal, but every little bit counts. However, I still think they need to deal Seabrook and maybe even Oduya. With Dahlbeck, Clendening and Johns ready to go, I think they could lose both and still be in decent shape on the backend.

Replacing Seabrook and Oduya with rookies is risky.

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Jun 9, 2014 -> 01:50 PM)
Replacing Seabrook and Oduya with rookies is risky.

Losing Kane or Toews is riskier. Plus, with the way Seabrook played this year, I'm not sure Johns can be worse. Dahlbeck was great this year, so I think he could replace Oduya and do a fine job.