caulfield12

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (Dunt @ May 22, 2014 -> 10:08 AM)
Question for the masses: I want to subscribe to either Baseball America or Baseball Prospectus and am wondering which you guys prefer for prospect information? I enjoy both the Effectively Wild and Baseball America podcasts quite a bit and can't decide which I'd rather give my money to.

I subscribe to BP and am content. It's just one of those things that's so cheap you just do it.

I'd been considering subscribing to BA, but then I realized that someone dumps a bunch of them by the door at our office each month. So I've just started picking up those. I would probably prefer BA except for two things: Jason Parks and Doug Thorburn.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ May 22, 2014 -> 09:39 AM)
I'd much rather take Kolek than a guy like Aaron Nola though. Swing for the fences rather than some safe college arm. I'd be okay with Freeland over Kolek at #3 but if Rodon and Aiken go 1-2, it could literally be anyone for the Sox.

I'm saying it because the two teams who could take him before us are Houston and Miami, which would leave the Sox with the choices of either Rodon or Aiken, which would be awesome.

QUOTE (DirtySox @ May 22, 2014 -> 10:45 AM)
No. There isn't even a lock at 1-1 in this draft. Calling a lock at 44 would be absurd.

I think what he means is if Gillaspie was there at 44, of course the Sox would take him, because that's the White Sox way with relatives.

That said, he'll be gone before 44 based on what I've read.

QUOTE (flavum @ May 22, 2014 -> 10:48 AM)
I think what he means is if Gillaspie was there at 44, of course the Sox would take him, because that's the White Sox way with relatives.

That said, he'll be gone before 44 based on what I've read.

He's indeed getting late 1st round hype as of late. Unlike some past nepotism, Gillaspie would be quite worthy at 44. He might even be a steal there.

QUOTE (DirtySox @ May 22, 2014 -> 10:45 AM)
No. There isn't even a lock at 1-1 in this draft. Calling a lock at 44 would be absurd.

I was just kidding based on the whole Sox and their nepotism.

That said I would love the pick, albeit I'm uninformed. According to most mocks he seems to be going in the late first. Considering he's only listed at 1b and given the drafts and scouts love for position flexibility, that makes me believe he has to have one of the best bats in the entire draft. Sign me up. Don't care that we have a young glut of potential 1B/DH types with Abreu, Viciedo, Garcia, Davidson, and Ravelo.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ May 22, 2014 -> 10:47 AM)
I'm saying it because the two teams who could take him before us are Houston and Miami, which would leave the Sox with the choices of either Rodon or Aiken, which would be awesome.

I've seen several mocks calling for Gillaspie to go in the 20's or 30's

Stinnett is touching 98 with serious movement. The command isn't impeccable, but that fastball looks great. Slider isn't bad either. 6 K's through 4. He's really interesting considering he's a senior with legitimate talent, and he's likely to be underslotted due to a lack of leverage.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ May 22, 2014 -> 10:47 AM)

It appears most people on here (me included) have Kolek at #3 in their preference, so sure if he goes 1-1 that's great.

QUOTE (southside hitman @ May 22, 2014 -> 11:22 AM)
It appears most people on here (me included) have Kolek at #3 in their preference, so sure if he goes 1-1 that's great.

If Rodon and Aiken are off the board, I'd be fine with Kyle Freeland or one of the bats at #3 instead of Kolek. I just don't want Nola or Beede instead of Kolek.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ May 22, 2014 -> 11:29 AM)
If Rodon and Aiken are off the board, I'd be fine with Kyle Freeland or one of the bats at #3 instead of Kolek. I just don't want Nola or Beede instead of Kolek.

I could see the Sox getting Freeland on an underslot deal if they aren't in love with their options at 3. I am warming to the idea of taking Jackson over whichever of the 3 is left just to quench my yearning for the Sox to finally grab a prospect that does not have contact issues.

Question for the masses: I want to subscribe to either Baseball America or Baseball Prospectus and am wondering which you guys prefer for prospect information? I enjoy both the Effectively Wild and Baseball America podcasts quite a bit and can't decide which I'd rather give my money to.

I'd go with BA, having seen both. Either are a good choice really. But I find BA to be deeper in content, with better contacts and connections (therefore inside information), and less snark.

QUOTE (raBBit @ May 22, 2014 -> 12:09 PM)
Beede is pitching himself out of top 10 conversation let alone #3. Serious concerns over his command and makeup.

Yeah looks silly now we were considering him for the Sox at #3 a few months ago. I've seen him projected in some mocks to go in the teens or low 20's.

QUOTE (oneofthemikes @ May 22, 2014 -> 01:59 PM)
I think that Baseball America is your best bet. Better coverage IMO.

I see what you did there.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ May 22, 2014 -> 02:23 PM)
I spent a good 1-2 minutes trying to figure out what you meant, rereading my own posts, and I got nothing from it. Ha.

Lol, sorry.

I like both but prefer BA. With that said, BP is considerably cheaper