flavum

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Jake @ Jul 14, 2013 -> 07:17 PM)
You never plan around 18 year old prospects panning out

Still, if you have the 13th pick in the draft, it shouldn't be somebody who is terrible in A-ball.

If Hawkins doesn't become an everyday White Sox player, it's not good for Kenny, Buddy, Laumann. That's on them too.

That's why I am puzzled why some people still have Hawkins as the top prospect on the mid season list. Even if Erik Johnson isn't as good as advertised, he still should be a decent 4th/5th option, and he has the ceiling to be a number 2/3 starter if he pans out.

If people are still putting Hawkins as the best prospect, that means they still expect him to hit .280 with around 30 HR and 100 RBI. I honestly can't even picture Hawkins putting up a .300 season in the minors from here on out. He's got a long long long way to go, and something's seriously wrong with his swing.

Keon Barnum last 10 games:

.308/.325/.718, 4 2B, 4 HR, 1BB/12SO

Excellent turnaround after a terrible first 14 games or so. Even 12 SO in 10 games is a big improvement from 20 SO in his first 11 games. Obviously very small sample sizes still, but encouraging signs nonetheless.

QUOTE (oldsox @ Jul 14, 2013 -> 08:22 PM)
Brandon Jacobs not yet arrived in B'ham, or at least he is not on their roster yet. How long does it take to ge there from Portland?

The Barons are off during the all-star break. The Southern League All-Star Game is also coming up. I expect him to join after.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Jul 14, 2013 -> 08:49 PM)
My god, people are so quick to declare every prospect a bust. He may not be playing as welll as we would want our #13 overall pick to play, but my god, let's wait until he is 24 years old and still not in AA yet until he write him off.

Has there ever been a player that has K'd at his rate that has gone on to have a successful career in MLB?

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Jul 14, 2013 -> 09:58 PM)
Has there ever been a player that has K'd at his rate that has gone on to have a successful career in MLB?

I have no idea, what's the relevance?

EDIT: But to attempt to actually give you a name, Russell Branyan had a 33% K-rate in the minors.

Edited by Chilihead90

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Jul 14, 2013 -> 09:12 PM)

EDIT: But to attempt to actually give you a name, Russell Branyan had a 33% K-rate in the minors.

That's not very close at this point - though it's not necessarily true that Courtney will maintain a 50% rate the entire season

QUOTE (thxfrthmmrs @ Jul 14, 2013 -> 07:36 PM)
Toby Thomas, 21st round pick this year, still only a 19 years old SS, is having quite a start to his pro ball career. 5 K's in 70 PA's is also very encouraging for this system.

He's an interesting story, put up great numbers as a SP in high school and JUCO splitting time at SS. Was recruited by a lot of big schools but chose JUCO, with speculation that the reason was the fact that Pensacola State could offer a full ride, which most Division I schools won't offer. That coupled with the rule that JUCO players, as we know, can be drafted after their Freshman year, as opposed to their Junior year in DI.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Jul 14, 2013 -> 09:12 PM)

Branyan's K rate is still better than Hawkins and even then, he was only a full-time player for a couple seasons in his entire career. If Hawkins turns into a Branyan, he's really not that valuable of a prospect then is he?

QUOTE (Jake @ Jul 14, 2013 -> 09:18 PM)
That's not very close at this point - though it's not necessarily true that Courtney will maintain a 50% rate the entire season

Hawkins entered today striking out in 44.3% of his PA, for the record. Also, how many players are 19 in High-A? Ryan Sweeney was for the Sox and he struggled with a .721 OPS, but at the same time he was the player he is in the Majors. Good contact rate, but not enough walks or power to hit for high enough average/obp.

Hawkins should repeat Winston-Salem next year and if we don't see the 2012 Hawkins, it might be time to talk to him about being a pitcher. That said, I don't think it will come to that. I would expect improvement over the next year and two months.