7/14 Games

flavum

QUOTE (Jake @ Jul 15, 2013 -> 12:43 AM)
The jury's in!!! Pheg-mania!!!

Since there's a decent chance I was the only person attending IU when Phegley was there, I call dibs on being the first one in on Pheg-Mania.

Cerbaho and Balta can get in there as alums. Sort of like I can now with Schwarber!

I love me some Hoosier catchers.

/fanboyrant

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (danman31 @ Jul 15, 2013 -> 11:45 AM)
Right, but if Hawkins is nothing more than a power bat off the bench than we need to reevaluate him as a prospect. He has plenty of time, but this season is a more than a red flag.

I'm not saying that is his ceiling by any stretch. I am just saying that if that is the case, he was a successful draft pick.

QUOTE (farmteam @ Jul 15, 2013 -> 11:52 AM)
Since there's a decent chance I was the only person attending IU when Phegley was there, I call dibs on being the first one in on Pheg-Mania.

Cerbaho and Balta can get in there as alums. Sort of like I can now with Schwarber!

I love me some Hoosier catchers.

/fanboyrant

Now the important part is to be the first to predict failure, that way you can keep your street cred.

OK, if that's the rule then I get credit for the Podsednik walkoff HR in Game 2 of the 2005 WS and the Dye game winning RBI single in Game 4.

QUOTE (flavum @ Jul 14, 2013 -> 07:21 PM)
Still, if you have the 13th pick in the draft, it shouldn't be somebody who is terrible in A-ball.

If Hawkins doesn't become an everyday White Sox player, it's not good for Kenny, Buddy, Laumann. That's on them too.

It was the right pick at the time. If the Sox would have taken Michael Wacha at the time, many would have been upset. He was looked at the typical safe college starter that the Sox used to take. Everyone wanted the high impact HS bat including myself. Then he fell to us. It was the right pick at the time.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jul 15, 2013 -> 03:20 PM)
It was the right pick at the time. If the Sox would have taken Michael Wacha at the time, many would have been upset. He was looked at the typical safe college starter that the Sox used to take. Everyone wanted the high impact HS bat including myself. Then he fell to us. It was the right pick at the time.

I would say Sale fell to the Sox at 13. Hawkins kinda went where he was supposed to.

Baseball is tough. It's amazing how much time and money is put into scouting, and for a lot of first rounders they don't make the big leagues or they don't have notable big league careers.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jul 15, 2013 -> 08:05 AM)
For all the people pointing out that few players (or none) have had as bad a K rate as Hawkins early in their careers and been successful... how many HS draftees went to A+ their draft year? Were playing there at 18 and 19? Some sure, but very, very few. It is such a small group that, really, the comparisons don't mean a ton.

It is also worth pointing out that, as of a few days ago (when we were doing the FS T25 write-up), he had K'd in about 57% of his first 70 PA (until just before his injury), but his rate since then has been about 36% over 150 PA. Just something to keep in mind. 36% is bad, but isn't nearly 57% bad.

Being worried about Hawkins makes complete sense. Saying he is a "bust" at this point does not.

It makes no less sense than having him rated as the Sox #1 prospect.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Jul 15, 2013 -> 02:15 AM)
He was removed from the 40-man roster and cleared waivers, which means no team in baseball thought he was worth a 40-man roster spot. The Sox re-signed him after he was a free agent. The stats are great, but he's not a prospect if he cleared waivers at 26 years old.

Your definition of home grown is strange and contrived IMO. Even then, Gillaspie was another team's supplemental pick, he didn't play in the minors with the Sox and he's not even that good anyway. I'll give you Axelrod and Quintana because they play in the minors with the Sox, but De Aza is another bad choice. He already lost his rookie status before coming to the Sox. Still, by my count 13 of the current 25 are home grown (I didn't count John Danks either). 13 is a good number, but given the team's record we'd probably be happier if it was closer to 8.

He was claimed by the Texas rangers and he rejected the claim to stay with the white sox. He also tore his ACL last fall. I think people forget that.

QUOTE (oldsox @ Jul 16, 2013 -> 06:41 AM)
White Sox web site.

1. Rankings from MLB (whitesox.com) should always be taken with a huge grain of salt. Their lists are really only meaningful as a way of looking at how the Sox may "like" certain players more than others.

2. Their list is still from the offseason, last I checked. At that time, virtually everyone had Hawkins #1.